Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lisa View Post
    Oh! I've always wanted to see that, and you just reminded me. I'll have to check that out.

By the way, Jason whatshisface is Jason Patric of "The Lost Boys". Jason Patric, who by the way, totally made crazy hot sexy eyeballs at me out on the street on the upper west side one night, about 15 years and 45 lbs. ago.
    Yeah, I knew who he was and what he's been in but fuck I couldn't recall his last name. Dude really brings it in Narc. Plus Ray Liotta is..... well Ray Liotta
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
      Henry Oak is an amazing character.
      THAT. SO MUCH THAT
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Our Idiot Brother. It was funny, man. 8/10

Comment

Henry Oak is an amazing character.
          And I wish the movie was about him instead of Patric's character.
          "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• I just wish Liotta was still churning out work like that.

Comment

• Four Months, Three Weeks, and Two Days.

In circa 1987 Romania, under a still-potent authoritarian regime, Gabrita seeks to have an abortion, and she enlists her roommate Otilia in helping her arrange the procedure.

The film doesn't bog itself down with the moral implications of what is being done but instead presents the lack of choice offered in such a bleak environment, where the state exerts complete control over the individual. For these women it is a matter of survival, nothing more. In making the dangerous decision (in both legal consequences and complications of health), Gabrita and Otilia enter into a world of exploitation and dehumanization.

The film is made up of subtly played yet powerful performances, carried out in restrained and often hushed dialogue. It captures a moment in time when change was on the horizon, and in those final death throes of the communist experiment, it invites one to consider the extreme cost paid by people under such a system.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Oh! I forgot to mention - since I still had power during the hurricane, and couldn't do much more than sit around and watch movies, one of the channels ran scary movies during the storm. "Se7en" and "Fatal Attraction" were both on back to back, which I LOVE scary movies during storms!
                2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Four Months, Three Weeks, and Two Days.

In circa 1987 Romania, under a still-potent authoritarian regime, Gabrita seeks to have an abortion, and she enlists her roommate Otilia in helping her arrange the procedure.

The film doesn't bog itself down with the moral implications of what is being done but instead presents the lack of choice offered in such a bleak environment, where the state exerts complete control over the individual. For these women it is a matter of survival, nothing more. In making the dangerous decision (in both legal consequences and complications of health), Gabrita and Otilia enter into a world of exploitation and dehumanization.

The film is made up of subtly played yet powerful performances, carried out in restrained and often hushed dialogue. It captures a moment in time when change was on the horizon, and in those final death throes of the communist experiment, it invites one to consider the extreme cost paid by people under such a system.
                  A very good yet depressing movie.
                  BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Hanna

Joe Wright's got some fucking chops, hasn't he? Its too early to say, but I think I might grow to love this film. It took a little getting used to, but the mixture of styles and tones is masterful. I can't remember a film that so successfully merged music video styling with narrative storytelling. Lola Rennt, maybe? Honestly, I much preferred this. Its got a lot more going on - compelling characters, interesting structure and some absolutely incredible visuals.

I especially liked that it did something different with the fight scenes. They were heavily choreographed and very stylised, but had a deliberate, concise and easy to follow dynamism about them. Someone mentioned Bana's brief but excellent subway station fight, but I actually think his climactic face-off with Tom Hollander and his goons is kind of brilliant. Slow motion and a fairly clunky setup, yet each hit carried plenty of impact.

It has to be said, this is the most violent film to be given a 12A over here (equivalent to PG-13 stateside) in quite some time. The only comparison I could make in terms of violence was The Bourne Identity, but this felt a lot more hard-edged, even if there's little blood on display. Necks are getting snapped and punks are getting sliced up all over the place.

The only weak link? Cate Blanchett. I would have killed to see Tilda Swinton own that part, but alas, Cate'll do. Bana, Hollander and the rather wonderful Saoirse Ronan are all great though. And The Chemical Brothers - forget about it. Yep, this could be a keeper and I think it will definitely grow in appreciation as the year winds up.
                    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Cate was laughable in this. But I thought it sort of fit in with the bizarre cross section of nutjob characters. Why not have an over-the-top, generic southern-accented, government-financed killer in the mix?

I'm not so sure Swinton could fare much better with that sort of dialectical complication, but I wouldn't say I'd be opposed to that replacement.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Also, I didn't mention the skinhead sparring match in my earlier post because all I could recall (or the image from the encounter I couldn't shake) was Hollander tied up in the swing set, doing a spot-on recreation of Sgt. Elias' famous pose.
                        Last edited by Captain Russ; 09-01-2011, 03:35 PM.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• An American Werewolf in London- Still incredible. I watch movies like this and get so pissed that practical effects have all but died off. The monsters in this are so much more scary that just about every bleep and bloop that has been rendered in the past decade. Also, any time I see Jenny Agutter it brings me back to that special time in my youth when I saw Logan's Run for the first time.

Comment

• YES to both American Werewolf and Jenny Agutter:

Yeah, I'd look for Sanctuary with her in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Fritz Lang´s restored version of M.

Holy shit. They made this 80 years ago. That is quite an incredible feat given the dark nature of this movie. I was really gobsmacked about some of the stuff this movie alludes to. And it is wonderful on a historic-technical level as well. The use of sound, especially the use of piping as a music cue for one character is perfect (and pretty much invented in this movie from what I´ve read).

Strongly recommend!

Comment

• Starting watching Eastbound & Down Season 2

That is all
                                "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Working...
                                X