Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad more people will be exposed to Django in the next few years. Its a really fun, iconic kind of film. Accessible, well-made, goofy and surprising. I love that film.

I just saw Horrible Bosses. It would be almost nothing without the chemistry of the leads, but I had enough decent laughs throughout to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm seeing Bridesmaids tomorrow, but this was a really solid comedy for me, with really nice performances from all involved (needed more Farrell). Its easily on par with I Love You, Man or Hot Tub Time Machine. And Aniston gave me wood. Waddaya know?
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Mona Lisa.

Bob Hoskins as an ex-con caught between loyalty for the crime boss (Michael fucking Caine) he served time for and a call girl (Not Michael fucking Caine) he chauffeurs.

Hoskins is a raw nerve throughout, culminating in some truly heartbreaking moments when things really begin to go off the rails. And Cathy Tyson's Simone (the call girl who is not Michael fucking Caine) is right there with him the whole time.

Michael fucking Caine is an unmitigated, detached bastard as George's boss, Mortwell.

Hagrid and Lester Freamon figure prominently.

It's a hard nosed love story/crime drama where character motivation is not readily apparent and in some cases is discovered too late to turn back.

A very good little film.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Considered a bit of a classic over here, though often over-shadowed by The Long Good Friday.
        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Watched 'Ronin' again yesterday for shits and gigs.

And still yelled out when DeNiro asks 'What color is the boathouse at Hereford?"

Which one? There are four of them.

Also... both car chases make me wet.

Comment

• Need to rewatch that.
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
              Watched 'Ronin' again yesterday for shits and gigs.

And still yelled out when DeNiro asks 'What color is the boathouse at Hereford?"

Which one? There are four of them.

Also... both car chases make me wet.
              LOVE this film, and it only gets better and better with repeated viewings.
              Originally posted by Martin
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              Originally posted by Martin
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Captain America

Fuck yeah.
                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• And Ronin is so so so great.

I usually make this part of my double feature with Spartan.

Comment

• That's interesting. I wouldn't really put those films together, but its an interesting dichotomy - one so sparing with detail and language, yet pumping with cold, propulsive energy; the other spare with kineticism yet brimming with verbosity and minutiae.

Both of course elevated by Mamet.

Comment

• And Ben WINS! It's both the contrast and what unites them that makes me watch those together.

Comment

• I just rewatched Skyline. So so so bad. And just when it starts to be retardedly interesting, it stops.

And that movie should be called: Invincible Aliens: The Exhaustive Search for Human Brains.

Comment

• That title would have probably got me in the cinema, Martin.

I watched Super twice yesterday. I wasn't blown away, but it's a very solid flick that looks lovely on Blu and has the guts to pursue a pretty hard concept right to the end of the line. It doesn't cop out when things start getting very murky near the end and Wilson & Page are delightful. Highly recommended, even if the very last scenes felt a little out of place and molly-coddled.
                          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Fair Game

The first half of this is incredible, the second half merely good. If you don't like Sean Penn the figure, then this film will piss you off. Which is a shame, as he's (unsurprisingly) excellent as a decent, intelligent man fighting the entire system to clear his name. Naomi Watts is also very, very good, but her story is more interesting before she's outed. That said, Watts does a fine job of conveying Plame's strength and resolve and - while not adding much overall - the switch over from Watts to the real Plame at the end doesn't jar one bit, which is the highest compliment you could give Watts' performance.

I will say its easily the most accessible of the 'serious' films that have looked at Iraq and what went on. They lay out the process the CIA analysts went through leading to the declaration of WMD's in a very broad, but authentic fashion. Liman also manages to make scenes of people spouting jargon and procedure not just watchable but riveting. While we're on Liman, he's becoming a very reliable, mid-budget director. His productions are notoriously logistically troublesome and I think he has done re-shoots on most of his major movies, but he hasn't delivered a poor product yet. I'd say on the scale of things, Fair Game is much more Bourne Identity than Mr and Mrs Smith, in terms of quality.

Its no All The President's Men, but it is a very solid thriller with some great performances (Penn dressing down a female journalist in the middle of a meeting was punch the air stuff for me) and an interesting peer behind the curtain of national security.

Comment

• Does Cindy fuck the Baldwin or not?
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I love Sean Penn - I don't care one whit about his personal life, but as an actor, he's aces. I would love to see this, Ben, thanks for the recommendation!~
                                Last edited by Lisa; 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM.
                                2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Working...
                                X