No announcement yet.

The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grabbed the audible version of William Gibson's Alien 3 script with Lance and Michael reprising their roles. Figured it would get me through the plane ride tomorrow.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Never finished that audio book. Turns out I hate audio books.

When I was sick I decided to try to attempt to make it through Dune again. I tried once a few years ago and made it like 50 pages in or something before giving up.

Thanks to rewatching Lynch's version and Denis's version I'm really enjoying this. Plus it helps to have a goddamn glossary at the end to look up terms that make no sense to me.

Really enjoying this at the moment.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• It depends on who’s reading it, whether or not I like the audio. I’ve listened to the Harry Potter series at LEAST a dozen times, but Jim Dale is fantastic. I listened to a couple of Jodi Picoult books years ago, but the dude reading them was fucking awful and boring as hell. So I can see where you’re coming from
        Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
          Never finished that audio book. Turns out I hate audio books.

When I was sick I decided to try to attempt to make it through Dune again. I tried once a few years ago and made it like 50 pages in or something before giving up.

Thanks to rewatching Lynch's version and Denis's version I'm really enjoying this. Plus it helps to have a goddamn glossary at the end to look up terms that make no sense to me.

Really enjoying this at the moment.
          i also hate audios.

Dune is my favorite book.

BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• almost done with Dune and it's pretty great so far.

Comment

• Yeah boooooooooy

Finishing Leviathan Falls. The final Expanse book.

wow.

Comment

• Finished Dune. Loved it. Are the other books worth reading? I thought it ended perfectly and not entirely sure if I need more. If not I have the first book of The Expanse cued up next.

Comment

• I've read everything up to Chapterhouse Dune - the books expand the Dune universe quite a bit. You see Paul's entire character arc, as well as his descendants, the Empire, etc. Worth reading at least once.

Haven't read any of the Brian Herbert books. I've heard mixed reviews.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                    I've read everything up to Chapterhouse Dune - the books expand the Dune universe quite a bit. You see Paul's entire character arc, as well as his descendants, the Empire, etc. Worth reading at least once.

Yeah, I've heard the first Brian book is half decent, but quickly goes to shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                      I've read everything up to Chapterhouse Dune - the books expand the Dune universe quite a bit. You see Paul's entire character arc, as well as his descendants, the Empire, etc. Worth reading at least once.

I'll check them out after I finish the Expanse book. Like 100 pages in already and digging the shit outta it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post

Yeah, I've heard the first Brian book is half decent, but quickly goes to shit.
                        NO. No Brian books are good. NONE.

Dune-wise: Rob,

Dune Messiah finishes the story of Paul.

Children and God-Emperor finishes his legacy.

Heretics and Chapterhouse are something else. Not much a fan, and ends on a weird cliffhanger than is resolved so stupidly by his retarded son from “notes” (that I thjnk are imaginary) his father left. But they tie to the 3 shit prequels books he wrote, so it’s necessary to read those to “understand” the ending of the series. Yes, it’s a cashgrab, and a shit one.

The Expanse: having just finished the 9th and last book, wow. Book 4 and 9 are a bit less good, but the ending is great. Overall, it fits, and one of the best series I’ve read. Very cinematic.

Dune is an all time masterpiece, but you’ll have a great time with The Expanse. Better than the series, though the actors playing Amos and Chrissy elevated their roles so much.

Comment

• I read the first 3 Expanse books, and loved them. But like the show I fell off because it got just so...winding around into a million places? I should at least rewatch and finish the show. The books are basically Mass Effect.

Comment

• yeah, the ME vibe is strong with The Expanse so far. Hell of an easier read than Dune lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post

NO. No Brian books are good. NONE.

Dune-wise: Rob,

Dune Messiah finishes the story of Paul.

Children and God-Emperor finishes his legacy.
                              I may give Dune Messiah a go after this Expanse book is done but I honestly don't think I need more. It felt like it had an ending and I was happy with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post

I may give Dune Messiah a go after this Expanse book is done but I honestly don't think I need more. It felt like it had an ending and I was happy with it.
                                Messiah shows you what happen after such a leader take
                                power. There’s a reason Villeneuve wants to do it.

because unlike the shit 1984 movie, Paul’s actions don’t make him the good guy. Is it as good as Dune? No. But it gives you a whole new angle on which to consider the hero.

Comment

Working...
                                X