No announcement yet.

Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet. Do I need to know anything about these characters to get into them? It's been fucking years since I've read any superhero comics.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Most of them were restarts of established characters, so not really. Marvel is not as convoluted as DC when it comes to a character's continuity.

For that, I and many of my kind of nerd would be better off watching the JLU cartoon.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I just picked up Joker this weekend. Great little story. Dug the artwork as well. I recommend it.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Yeah. Joker was pretty amazing artistically.

Lee Bermejo is a sickeningly talented guy. He started at Wildstorm when he was maybe 17 or 18. Bastard.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• ok it's not a book and i know this but batman: the brave and the bold on cartoon network. it's a mashup of 60s animation with batman: the animated series. the show is crazy awesome.
            The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• I just wish there were more painted pieces of art in the book. Those were fucking amazing.

Comment

• Finished Locke and Key by Joe Hill.

A great little ghost story with some messed up characters. And this is a series (I thought it was a standalone) that I hope continues for a while.

Bonus: It all takes place on Lovecraft Island.

Also fun fact regarding Bermejo: his character designs for Two-Face and the Joker were utilized by Nolan for TDK.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• RASL by Jeff Smith. I can't describe it without ruining it. Just check it out. There's a trade paperback that collects 1-3. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
                  The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• The Boys by Garth Ennis and Darrick Robertson. The most fucking juvenile comic I've picked up since Ennis' relaunch of the Punisher a long while back.

It pretty much takes a meta-shit on everything from the Justice League, Stan Lee, to those shitty message-books that crop up once in a while just to drum up sales (Hulk's friend dying of AIDS, Northstar coming outta the closet, Green Arrow's sidekick getting hooked on smack).

It's like a adopted-by-Hustler five year old with an advanced vocabulary wrote a comic. It is awesome.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Ed Brubaker's Criminal series.

Each trade is a self-contained story, and each trade (so far) is fucking outstanding crime fiction.

Pick it up if yew haz the scratch. Or swipe it off some nerd with taste.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• The Dawn Patrol by Don Winslow. Damn good mystery set in the surfing world of San Diego.
                        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• I've been reading Norman Mailer's "The Fight." Never read any of his stuff before. Not sure I dig his style. Interesting read nonetheless.
                          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Eric Powell's The Goon series.

Sort of like a mash-up of the odd sci-fi worlds found in properties like Day of the Tentacle/Maniac Mansion/Psychonauts and the goth-fetishism/ghost stories in Hellboy comics.

And the humor of both. AND even more random acts of cartoonish violence.

The fact I hadn't picked it up until this year is fucking sad/a sign that I can get on the bandwagon (which was destroyed by the compounded weight of the nerds seated upon said bandwagon).

Thanks nerds.

Love,
                            Ogre.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I saw a Goon toy over the weekend. It was some tiny dude with a huge beefy muscle arm. He looked really cool.
                              Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                              John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

• Probably the Goon himself.

If he had a wrench in hand, that is.

Character designs are just fucking outstanding in the series.

Especially the zom-cannibal sniper named "Buzzard".
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X