Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Vin. I wanted to make fried chicken. Never mad it, beside working at KFC...

No buttermilk?

And I got myself some shortening for frying. Never used soybean oil. It's that good?
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
      I need help making a recipe. I want to recreate the picture seen here. What I cannot find out is what the southwest cream sauce used is made from. I have a southwest sauce I buy from the store currently that is delicious, but is definitely not close to what they have on the chicken. I spent hours last night looking for a recipe (laredo chicken from the Alamo Cafe in San Antonio) and it seems that Alamo Cafe is crazy secretive about their recipes. I found forums with posts by former employees saying that the chefs are under serious NDA and not even the hostesses/busboys could get the recipes. HELP ME OBI WAN KENOBI

I think the base is creme fresh?
      "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
      - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
      http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
      http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Nice Vin. I wanted to make fried chicken. Never mad it, beside working at KFC...

No buttermilk?

And I got myself some shortening for frying. Never used soybean oil. It's that good?
        It makes a WORLD of difference.

Comment

• I'm sure this isnt as yummy as Vin's Mac and Cheese but here's my recipe for it.

Macaroni and Cheese:

2 c uncooked elbow macaroni
          2 c milk
          4 T margarine
          4 T flour
          1 t salt
          couple of dashes of pepper
          2 1/2 c grated cheese

Cook macaroni by pkg directions- make sure to salt the water. In a separate medium pot, melt margarine. Then add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth. Put heat to medium-slowly add milk. Cook stirring until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 c cheddar cheese. Pour all into a ungreased 2 qt casserole dish. Top with 1/2c cheddar cheese. Preheat oven to 350. Bake uncovered for approximately 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Comment

• Here's another simple recipe when you want a cheesy side dish.

Potato Bake

4 large unpeeled baking potatoes- washed
            1/4 c butter or margarine
            1T grated onion
            1 t salt
            1/8 t pepper
            1 c shredded cheddar cheese
            Crumbled bacon(optional)

Thinly slice potatoes and place in a greased shallow 2 qt baking dish. In a small saucepan, heat butter, onion, salt, and pepper until the butter is melted. Drizzle over the potatoes. Cover and bake at 425 for 45 min or until tender. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Bake uncovered 15 min longer until cheese is melted and bubbly. I usually serve this with a side of some sour cream.

Comment

• YES TO POTATO BAKE! My mom makes something really similar, she will take the potatoes out and then put them in a bowl, and stir in the sour cream. No option there. DELISH!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Miller View Post
                I think the base is creme fresh?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%A8me_fraiche

It's possible, but looks more like a white or bechamel sauce.
                Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Yea, that bechamel looks closer to it. God I hope I don't butcher this.

Comment

• Ok, so the plan is to make the chicken and taters tonight whilst watching Avatar. Just realized we don't have a seasoned skillet in the house. Is it possible to season a skillet(albeit haphazardly) in a day?
                    Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Signs point to sort of.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• yeah, follow that. EVerytime you use it, rinse with hot water, dry with towel (not paper) then put a bit of olive oil or veggie oil in the pan and rub it into the pan with a paper towel. Keep it in your oven when not using if you can. NEVER USE SOAP!
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                          NEVER USE SOAP!
                          What he said...

Comment

• This is ingrid. V, can't seem to find Accent or soybean oil. will safflower work, or does it have to be soybean? and any suggestions on the Accent?
                            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Totally got everything ready for the pulled pork from that homesick texan site. CANNOT WAIT.
                              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                                This is ingrid. V, can't seem to find Accent or soybean oil. will safflower work, or does it have to be soybean? and any suggestions on the Accent?
                                Accent should be in the spice section in a red and white container. Safflower will work, but keep the heat as high as you can.

Comment

Working...
                                X