No announcement yet.

When the fuck did gamers get so jaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the fuck did gamers get so jaded?

Seriously, when did this happen?
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Gamers? Every geek subset is filled with jaded opinions and pessimism. Gaming in particular? Shoe horned in bullshit to sell us on motion gaming that doesn't work and zero innovation outside of the digital market. Or, if you want to be honest...16 bit era. Telling me you didn't have huge SNES/Genesis fights at school? God help the Turbo Graphix 16 kids.

Comment

Seriously, it started here

Before that gaming was just a fun thing to do. Add in all the industry bullshit plus bigger audiences plus the amplification of opinions thanks to the internet and it seems like we are more jaded than we were 15 years ago.

The death of the Dreamcast also notched up my cynicism a bit too.

Comment

It's not about the fights. As much as I give Ceej shit for being a Genesis kid, I can admit there were games on that system that the SNES just didn't have and I wanted.

This isn't even about the Kinect stuff. I mean that shit is hilarious cause if you don't have a Kinect it doesn't even effect you. It's for those of us that drunk bought that thing.

You talk about zero innovation yet get all excited about Sly Cooper? It's cool cause we all have our genres/series (GO METAL GEAR!). But what happened with "Hey, that looks kinda neat. I may not buy it, but it sure does look neat?" mindset? Instead it's all "THAT IS SHIT BECAUSE IT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED". Not directed towards anyone in particular but just reading through comments on Reddit and ngaf and it's fucking ridiculous how entitled some of these fucks are.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

And I still rock my Dreamcast but I can admit that the PS2 was also a better fucking machine in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post

You talk about zero innovation yet get all excited about Sly Cooper? It's cool cause we all have our genres/series (GO METAL GEAR!). But what happened with "Hey, that looks kinda neat. I may not buy it, but it sure does look neat?" mindset? Instead it's all "THAT IS SHIT BECAUSE IT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED". Not directed towards anyone in particular but just reading through comments on Reddit and ngaf and it's fucking ridiculous how entitled some of these fucks are.
            There's definitely a sense of entitlement, and those "it's not for me so it's shit" people, but that's hardly gaming-centric. I can admit that 99% of the Kinect shit is RETARDED and I HATE it...but not because it's not for me.

DISNEYLAND ADVENTURES - Seriously? This is literally the Kinect Adventures game with a new skin. Does it piss me off because its not for me? Nope, it pisses me off because its lazy. Kids can play games. Real games. Not these shit mini-games. We grew up on Metroid and Castlevania and REAL content in our games. Developers need to make some of those games. The industry is split into SHOOTER SHOOTER SHOOTER and mini-games for children.

While I shit on Nintendo for not innovating like I believe they should and are capable of, they at least meet that middle ground with Mario, Zelda, Pikmin (PLEASE BE A NEW PIKMIN TODAY), Animal Crossing, etc. So we get these horrible mini-game collections that will hurt the industry in the long run. We grew up on Ninja Gaiden and can tolerate a game giving us a challenge...these kids will not be able to stand dying in a game in 10 years, and will abhor any challenge and expect to walk through games. How will that be fun, or keep anyone's attention? We're heading to a shrinking market because of this SHOOTER MINIGAME bullshit.

Where as something like Sesame Street is fine. It's a game for little kids. Like 3-4 year olds. My first game, teach me something. I think it looks great because it's NOT just a boring mini-game collection with no content behind it, this is a game for the actual mini-game crowd that will make their tiny toddler brains work and learn them some counting.

Comment

I really didn't care about the SNES/Genesis rivalry. I think it was right around 2005, when the Wii didn't live up to its promise, and new IPs were not delivering or being delivered.
              The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

The Wii did what I needed it to in my opinion. DKCR was worth the purchase of the Wii alone. I'm serious about that.

Am I sad that Nintendo screwed the pooch a bit? Yeah. But I was able to get months of non stop play with friends with Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, DKCR and Umbrella Chronicles 1 and 2. Would the Wii be a sore spot for me if I didn't have access to the 360/PS3? Probably moreso yes.

Comment

Nerds feel the need to act shitty and dumb in a ploy for pseudointellectual superiority at 11, next is the weather with Chip Chipman!
                  "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                  *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

What youse gais said, but also add that Game systems now need financing and you get a lot more of the "it's not what I have so it sucks" bullshit.
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

It's the internet, man. Spend a day over on he-man.org and you'll see how posting from the safety from your home has made humanity into a bunch of overly opinionated jerks.

It's the snarky people who can't tell the difference being posting on a message board and talking in real life that scares me.
                      Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                      John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

ARI!!!! Y U NO LIKE MY MESSAGES!!! I GONE KILLLL YOUSE!!! FOR SRS!!!!
                        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                          Seriously, when did this happen?
                          Once the Dreamcast died and Shenmue was left cupping its balls at the city dump.

I WANT MY FORKLIFT RACING SIM BACK
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

I want to feed that poor kitty again

Comment

An actual answer for this question, for me anyway, is: "I have no idea and I just casually accept that it has happened and that many people will die alone and miserable."

River City Ransom has already been made, so I don't care where the console wars go from here, nor do I care to listen to the laments of the neckbearded in regards to change/time. Theirs is a lost and depressing cause.

Just give me something engaging and challenging and I will be your patron.

YOU HEAR THAT, VIDYA? DO GOOD STUFF AND I WILL BUY THAT GOOD STUFF
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                              X