No announcement yet.

Dead Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the atmosphere is strongly reminiscent of bits and pieces of Doom 4, but much more complete and polished (and you actually know where the monsters might come from, as opposed to the randomly generated bullshit that was going on in that game). And certainly has both the claustrophobic feeling of that game, but also the grand scale of certain moments from Bioshock. And much of the gore and creep factor of both.

There is no traditional HUD to fuck your screen up. The health bar is on the characters spinal column (which is so fucking cool), and the ammo count is on a little holoscreen projected right above the weapon (albeit a small screen). The combat is very much like RE4, with an over-the-shoulder view, and with the addition of a curbstomp ability. But no real-time event horseshit.

Also, it brings together two of the cooler things about some of the ohter sci-fi games out there: namely Mass Effect and Half-Life 2. You have the stasis from ME, and a built-in gravity gun from HL2.

I'd say rent it for the time being Rob. Fallout 3 is just on the horizon. And don't forget to get your free "Elite" suit from XBL.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

You get Saint's Row?
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Yep. It's fun as hell so far, but once I popped in Dead Space, I've just forgotten all about it.

Though I will certainly return to it soon. I can't wait to do the zombie missions.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

oh snap....maybe I'll pick that one up then. I loved the first one. And I tried playing some GTAIV today and was bored. Except for trying to kill myself in fun ways. That's always great.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

There is just so much customization, that I pulled a Ceej when I started playing, as you start out by creating your gangsta. I spent a good 3 hours just fucking with that.

Then there's the auto shop, the gun shop, all them other shopsesesesseseseses. Yeah, I've completed a whole 1% of that game so far.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

Also regarding an aspect of Dead Space: uses text, audio, and video logs to bring you up to speed on the storyline. Some creepy stuff.

And: a send-up on Scientology. But much more fucked up (if such a thing were possible). They call it...wait for it...Unitology!
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

This game is pretty fucking epic. On the 5th chapter at the moment. Pretty fucking fun. So far my favorite part of the game is the sound design. Reminds me of Alien. Gets you on edge. Also, the vacuum parts of the game are fucking brilliant.

Comment

So I'm on chapter 6 and have only been using the plasma cutter. I haven't bought one other weapon yet. But this gun is completely maxed out on awesomeness. Probably why I'm having a hard time in parts, but goddammit, I better get an achievement for only using that gun.

Comment

Fuck chapter 6. I'm missing one fucking poison pod monster. and I cannot find this fucker for the life of me. Soooo annoyed right now.

Comment

Beat chapter 6. And holy shit, this is the first time I've ever gotten motion sickness from a game. Thanks alot Chapter 7.... Had to stop playing.

Comment

Podmen do in fact suck. Wait until that D-Bag necromorph you froze comes back later on.

In regards to the motion sickness: I had a bit of that the last time I went up against the Leviathan. And it was awesome.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

So the piss poor turret fighting aside, this game is pretty sweet. Kinda wish I would have picked up Saints Row 2, if only because I don't see myself playing through the game again when I finish it.

Comment

So, would this be a better rental than a purchase?
                            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Probably. If only for re-play value. It's a badass game, don't get me wrong, but I honestly don't see myself coming back to play it more. Except to actually try other weapons. I should have bought Saint's Row 2. It has zombies. Dammit.

Comment

You can always trade it in. As I started playing Saints Row 2 again, there is so much stuff to do that it will keep you occupied until Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, AND everything in Q1 of 2009.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X