500 Favorite Foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140: Calves' Liver

I know what you're thinking. LIVER? But trust me, it's awesome. The key is in the preparation. Soak the liver in milk for an hour or so, before you begin cooking. Fry a fuckton of streaky bacon, then sit to the side. Saute your onions and peppers in the fat... then throw in the liver. The flavors combine in a way that cannot be easily described... it must be experienced.

This recipe has been a staple of mine forever. If I can get my kids to eat liver prepared like this... then converting you should be dirt simple. Give it a go... and if you're not completely convinced, you can tell me to fuck right off.

But you won't.

Comment

• I like liver. I don't buy the shit from the supermarket, though. I want non-crappy/corned-up liver. In fact, I don't know where the hell I should get liver. Kosher deli?
      "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
      *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Any good deli should have liver. My parents, and most of my family, love the stuff. I would rather be the center of a Jake/Ed Human Centipede than eat liver.

Comment

• The only way that I've had liver is when it's been prepared for me at a Benihana type place. They grill chicken livers with a ton of onions and stuff and it's CHOW. Other than that, I've never had it (that I recall). My mother stopped making it for the family to eat before I was born, so I missed out on the OH GOD NOT LIVER TONIGHT WHY GOD WHY phase of childhood.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          Originally posted by Martin
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Gah... I hate liver, I don't care how it's prepared.
            2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
              140: Calves' Liver

I know what you're thinking. LIVER? But trust me, it's awesome. The key is in the preparation. Soak the liver in milk for an hour or so, before you begin cooking. Fry a fuckton of streaky bacon, then sit to the side. Saute your onions and peppers in the fat... then throw in the liver. The flavors combine in a way that cannot be easily described... it must be experienced.

This recipe has been a staple of mine forever. If I can get my kids to eat liver prepared like this... then converting you should be dirt simple. Give it a go... and if you're not completely convinced, you can tell me to fuck right off.

But you won't.
              My parents did it like this. Awesome.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• 141. Mom's Lasagna Mom hasn't got an Italian bone in her body. But I love her sauce above all others. When she uses it to make a lasagna, it's just magic in a (very, very deep) baking dish. I have never had a lasagna anywhere that comes even close. My wife has a friend whose lasagna she raves about, and my wife shuns mom's. Why? Because her friend's is all light & airy & shit. Mom's by contrast, weighs about 20 lbs. It's fucking substantial. 2 lbs of mozzarella, most of a pot of meat sauce, a lb or so of sweet sausage, and 2 tubs of ricotta. You eat a serving od this shit, you know you been eatin'. I have to struggle (and sometimes, I do not prevail) to have a second helping. Her friend's? I could probably eat the whoe fucking thing at a sitting.
                I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• 142. Eggs Over Easy Since I didn't post one yesterday, I'll add this little breakfast standby. Bu themselves, eggs are - let's face it - rather dull. But added to things, or as a vehicle for certain flavoring agents? They add up to a sum greater than the parts would have you believe. How fucking good is it to put one of these, with its yolk still intact, on top of a breakfast sandwich so you can bite in and break that fucker when you eat it, allowing the yolk to dribble messily down the back of the sammich and onto your hands? Or to dip your toast (or even better yet, your English muffin) into a freshly fork-popped yolk? Drizzle hot sauce or salt & pepper on the remainder & your experience has been enhanced tenfold.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Eeeek. My yolk must be cooked. Over hard for me, thanks. But otherwise? Yes, please!
                    Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Fried eggs must be done in bacon grease. Had some this morning. DELICIOUS.

Comment

• 143. Poached Eggs on Toast
                        Thanks for the inspiration, Ig.

My dad taught to make poached eggs this way. I get some water boiling, drop two slices of toast in the toaster, then crack two eggs in the water. When the toast pops up, I take the pot of eggs off of the burner. I butter the toast, then use a slotted spoon to lift the eggs out of the water and strain the water off at the same time, then lay them on the buttered toast. This times the eggs perfectly, so that the yolk is only slightly runny, just runny enough to sticky up my toast a bit. A perfect breakfast.
                        "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
                        - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
                        http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
                        http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Add Marmiteā„¢... and yes, it is a perfect breakfast.

Comment

• 144. Gravy -

Nuff said
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• 145. Eggs Benedict Poached, slightly runny/yolky eggs. On top of Canadian bacon, eh? On top of English muffins, and topped with hollandaise sauce. It's like the whole breakfast, but for a piece of fruit, on one plate. The salty, smoky flavor of the bacon, the mellow goodness of the eggs, the tart herbal essence of the sauce, and the crisp, yet doughy & chewy base of the English muffin. . . As close to perfection as breakfast gets, IMO. And don't mess about with different meats or sauces; a grilled rachel < a grilled Ruben. Accept it. Same here. The original > all imitators.

Comment

• 146: Eggs Sardou

While Eggs Benedict will always hold a special place in my heart, I prefer the boldness of Eggs Sardou. Plate a layer of spinach creamed in a Bechamel sauce, replace the muffin with an artichoke bottom covered with anchovy fillets, then top with the poached egg and Hollandaise.

Sinfully rich, delightfully decadent... makes a wonderful breakfast for 'the morning after'... wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Comment

Working...
                                X