Clear All

• haha
    "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
    - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
    http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
    http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• NOTE: I posted 2 entries, so that should have been 121, next entry is 122. Carry on.
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• 122. Roast Turkey Does ANYTHING say holiday comfort food quite so well? I don't think so! basted ina little butter & slowly baked from the early morning on Thanksgiving or Christmas. . . Mom's bird rocks. My wife doesn't generally care for some of my Mom's cooking (too rich & picy sometimes), but she concedes Mom's turkey is the ebst she's ever had. Even better than her own mom's. I can hardly wait for Thanksgiving, now that I'm thinkin' about it.

I've been wanting to try brining a bird for some time now, but never got around to it. Has anyone (Vin, I'm looking at you) tried this? What did you think? It seems like a lot of effort; was the payoff worth it?

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• I've never brined one myself, but a colleague at work did one year.

It was very worth it.

But I think I may just roast a goose this year.

Comment

• You gonna shoot it yourself?

Comment

• 123. Mom's Stuffing While we're on the holiday theme, guess I'll throw in Mom's stufing. I doubt this would appeal to many; it leaves my wife cold, for instance. She's used to the kind with sausage & such all in it, & made from cornbread. Mom's is a simple concoction made from white bread soaked in water, some minced, sauteed onions, salt, pepper, butter & a LOT of thyme. My brother & I have been fighting over who gets the last piece all our lives, prompting Mom to make more & more each holiday. She cooks it in the bird (fuck salmonella), and there's now so much the cavity can't contain it all; it protrudes out into the open air of the oven. She's taken to tenting foil around it to keep it moist. Like I said, might not be everyone's cup of tea, and maybe my brother & I just like it because it's what we grew up with, but on occasion I'm not above shoving him out of the way to land my fork in the last bit of that wonderful stuff(ing). To me, it's that good.

Comment

• 124. This weekend is my niece's wedding, so while I'll miss you all terribly, don't be sad. Because at the reception, George and I selected the seafood course for our dinner choice, which will be...

Maryland lump crab cakes! (Chris Miller holla!) , even though Chris Miller picks them up in six-packs
                Last edited by Lisa; 09-29-2010, 06:41 AM.
                2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• OH GOD YES. My grocery store has a fucking killer seafood counter, and I saw a sign for fresh Maryland crab cakes. I flagged down one of the workers and begged for some. They sold out like an hour of them coming in.

TAKE DOWN THE SIGN THEN YOU COCK TEASE!

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                    You gonna shoot it yourself?
                    No...I find bird hunting exceptionally boring. I can just drive to Amish country and pick one up for a song. Better than paying $40 for a frozen one at the local market.

As for stuffing, I enjoy a plain one now and again... but I like mine with oysters and pine nuts. I will post a recipe soon as a holiday gift to the stuffers among us.
                    Last edited by V; 09-29-2010, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LisaNY View Post
                      124. This weekend is my niece's wedding, so while I'll miss you all terribly, don't be sad. Because at the reception, George and I selected the seafood course for our dinner choice, which will be...

Maryland lump crab cakes! (Chris Miller holla!) , even though Chris Miller picks them up in six-packs
                      Only the shitty ones are available in six packs. That's why I go to John Stevens:
                      http://forums.podcaust.com/showpost....44&postcount=8

Enjoy the crabcakes all. Then come see me sometime and have the real thing ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                        No...I find bird hunting exceptionally boring. I can just drive to Amish country and pick one up for a song. Better than paying $40 for a frozen one at the local market.

As for stuffing, I enjoy a plain one now and again... but I like mine with oysters and pine nuts. I will post a recipe soon as a holiday gift to the stuffers among us.
                        Vin, come over to my apartment place, we have flocks of the motherfuckers everywhere. All of us who are tired of stepping in their leavings would applaud you removing one from the mortal coil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Miller View Post
                          Enjoy the crabcakes all. Then come see me sometime and have the real thing ;-)
                          Ohhhh, SNAP!! You want I should ask the crab cakes for their drivers' licenses to make sure they're *actually* from Maryland before we nosh?
                          2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• ZING!

Comment

• NY Times has a story on laketrout.

What's deal on them? Do they taste good?

And how can I encourage my sister to try one of them?
                              "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by LisaNY View Post
                                Ohhhh, SNAP!! You want I should ask the crab cakes for their drivers' licenses to make sure they're *actually* from Maryland before we nosh?
                                Oh do! Actually, the way to tell the quality of a good cake is the amount of filler (the less the better), the size of the lump meat (shouldn't be too much fine crab meat, mostly big chunks), and hopefully the delicious hint of old bay. People that mess them up tend to put a ton of bread and binder in there, and a lot of fine meat, which is more of a deviled crab.

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                                NY Times has a story on laketrout.

What's deal on them? Do they taste good?

And how can I encourage my sister to try one of them?
                                It's breaded fried fish (and it's not trout, and not from a lake, though that may be how it started hundreds of years ago), the cracker meal crust is tasty, but eating around the bones is a pain in the ass. Tell her it's necessary to feel authentic, and that it's super cheap, but for gods sake watch out for the bones.

Comment

Working...
                                X