No announcement yet.

Cooking Tips and Tricks Megathread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haha, for now...next time I'm going to try it his way.
    Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• I agree w/ The Mighty Bill, FWIW.
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
        It won't hurt, but that long in the dutch oven is probably going to kill most of the crispy seared beef. It will be prettier though, dutch ovens turn roast kind of dull grey.
        Here's the thing: browning your meat means it's all about the maillard reaction. So your caramelize your meat (or onion, etc...), and it's not really about crispiness (in a stew); it's about taste. Whatever liquid you add after browning the meat, you usually scrap the brown bits at the bottom, so that is culinary GOLD. It will elevate whatever dish you do. Your meat will taste better, and the broth or sauce will also kick ass.
        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Agreed. Browning will only enhance the flavor. When you deglaze the pan you browned the meat in, if you do it with red wine, it will add another dimension to the flavor of the stew. You don't need much, maybe 1/4 cup.
          Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs!

Comment

• Rob probably read that as "you don't need much, maybe 1 or 4 cups."
            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• hahah. totally.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Not that that's a bad thing mind you.
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Only if you want the wine flavor to overpower the flavor of the meat. Or if you're trying to make the beef version of Coq Coq Vin.

Comment

• Rob eating something that sounds like Cock Cock Vein? I'll leave you to your own conclusions.

Comment

• All of you who think rerb was EVER contemplating using the wine to make something to eat rather than drinking it fail.
                      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• The right way to do is pour one cup for the meat, and the rest in your gullet.

Thus Rob is correct.
                        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Rob is also stealing the premise of the "Galloping Gourmet" who would put wine in his recipes and then in himself.

Or he is borrowing the plot of one of Tim's favorite YouTube video series..."My Drunk Kitchen".

Comment

• We picked up the WiFi Anova Precision Cooker last night. Got it for 50 bucks cheaper than we should have thanks to Best Buy being silly. Looking forward to using it. Martin, you have one right?
                            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• WiFi? The day I cook in something that needs an internet connection is the day I finally pull the trigger.

Comment

• Let's me start the meals and shit while at work lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X