No announcement yet.

They Don't Make It Anymore. . . Defunct Foods You Miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk of Tastykake (which I can get in Jersey; even growing up in Jersey City, which was right across the river from NYC; go figure why they can't drive a couple more miles thru the fucking tunnel and shower some baked good goodness on those poor citified folks) reminded me I haven't seen any of their pies around in awhile. Used to love the fruit pies; cherry, apple, French apple (frosted, with a scattering of raisins), lemon, but especially peach and pineapple. I always liked these better than Drakes or Hostess because the crust was lighter and thinner, and (except for the aforementioned French Apple) not frosted. Come to think of it, Hostess used to make pudding pies (normally colored ones) that were pretty fucking awesome. Haven't seen any of those in years, either.

Edited to add: I'd rep Hocken for the new d20 avatar if I could.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Thanks Iggy, I'm just glad I could find a picture of a D-20. For some reason I could only find d-20 fuzzy dice.
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Sporting them from one's windshield would be cool, but could get you killed in certain circles, I'm sure.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Killed? I'd say be given a swirlie at best.
          "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• I guess we had very different high school experiences.

Comment

• Howazbout the McDonald's Chopped Beefsteak sandwich? This one hails from the 70's, so no one but Lisa & Tim (Maybe Vin) will remember it; it was kind of a more finely ground, elongated burger patty, with onions on an oval seeded roll with a nice, tangy, not-too-much-like A1 sauce. LOVED that thing, but they only ever offered it once. Hell, I even remember the jingle; it takes place as a couple people start boarding a bus:

Passenger: Got a taste for beefsteak, but my wallet's kinda light. . .

Driver: Try the chopped beefsteak sandwich
              McDonald's serves each night!

Pure beef patty, onions steak sauce on the siii-iide!

It's not just another steak sandwich! The taste is. . . . Out-ta SIGHT!!!

All: ALLL RIGHT!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                Howazbout the McDonald's Chopped Beefsteak sandwich? This one hails from the 70's, so no one but Lisa & Tim (Maybe Vin) will remember it; it was kind of a more finely ground, elongated burger patty, with onions on an oval seeded roll with a nice, tangy, not-too-much-like A1 sauce. LOVED that thing, but they only ever offered it once. Hell, I even remember the jingle; it takes place as a couple people start boarding a bus:

Passenger: Got a taste for beefsteak, but my wallet's kinda light. . .

Driver: Try the chopped beefsteak sandwich
                McDonald's serves each night!

Pure beef patty, onions steak sauce on the siii-iide!

It's not just another steak sandwich! The taste is. . . . Out-ta SIGHT!!!

All: ALLL RIGHT!!!
                Oh, indeed I do remember it!

I also remember the patty melt they pimped in the early 80's... even had a rye bun!

Fuck me, those were amazing!

Comment

• Whose day just got made? Mine. Wanna know why? Cause I can get Butterscotch Krimpets and Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes at Walmart by my house now!!!!!!

I bought a couple extra boxes and took the them to my mom. I literally opened the door, threw them into her arms and yelled "Tastykake Fairy!" and took off again.
                  Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• I remember a candy bar from when I was a kid called Choco-Lite. It was just plain chocolate, but it had all these air bubbles inside it that gave it a texture. Almost a crunch. Zero bars were kind of reminiscent of those, but I haven't seen oone of those in awhile either. And Marathon bars. A wiers, crosshatch like shape of caramel, covered in chocolate, and about a foot long, if memory serves. The commercials used to go on about how long they lasted, hence the name.

Comment

• Marathons were the SHIT!!!

I ate them by the fucking ton!

Comment

• I swear that I saw Marathon bars for sale recently.
                        Originally posted by Martin
                        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                        Originally posted by gravedigger
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• FIND THEM!

Comment

• I must have been mistaken, Vin. I did find THIS on a search, though.
                            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by ingrid View Post
                              Whose day just got made? Mine. Wanna know why? Cause I can get Butterscotch Krimpets and Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes at Walmart by my house now!!!!!!

I bought a couple extra boxes and took the them to my mom. I literally opened the door, threw them into her arms and yelled "Tastykake Fairy!" and took off again.
                              I am INSANELY jealous - but congrats! I'll tell you, I'm supposed to head down to NJ for Easter to see my family. I don't want to get a whole box, because then I'll wolf them and be even fatter than I already am. But I *am* going to do a thorough search for them in the vending machines at the bus station so I can at least scrounge up a pack!
                              Last edited by Lisa; 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM.
                              2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                                I must have been mistaken, Vin. I did find THIS on a search, though.

Order placed...

Comment

Working...
                                X