This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Restaurant Style Salsa

If you like the salsa(Im not talking pico de gallo) you get at the restaurant- this is for you- its not fancy but its gooood and its very easy!. I make it about every couple of weeks.

1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
    2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
    1/2 cup Chopped Onion
    1 clove Garlic, Minced
    1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
    1 teaspoon Sugar
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
    ½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
    ½ whole Lime Juice

Put it all in a blender-may have to do in several loads if you dont have a big blender. Pulse it about 10 times. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Let refrigerate for a couple of hours. This will save in the fridge for a while.

Comment

• Found this recipe in my Williams-Sonoma email... I'm soaking a smallish chicken as we speak.

Brined Roast Chicken with Wine Au Jus.

Ingredients:
      1 cup kosher salt or 1/2 cup iodized or plain salt
      1 quart hot water
      3 quarts cold water
      1 chicken, about 6 1/2 lb., giblets reserved for another use
      2 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
      Freshly ground pepper, to taste
      4 fresh thyme sprigs
      4 fresh rosemary sprigs
      1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
      1 small carrot, coarsely chopped
      1 small celery stalk, coarsely chopped

For the wine jus:
      1/2 cup crisp, dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
      1 cup chicken stock
      1 Tbs. chilled unsalted butter
      Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
      Directions:
      In a plastic container or stainless-steel bowl large enough to hold the chicken, stir and dissolve the salt in the hot water. Add the cold water and stir. Rinse the chicken, then submerge it in the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours, the longer the better.

Preheat an oven to 400°F.

Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Rub with the butter and season inside and out with pepper. Place the thyme and rosemary sprigs in the cavity.

Place the chicken on its side on a V-shaped rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken on its other side and roast for 30 minutes more. Turn the chicken on its back and place the onion, carrot and celery in the cavity. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone, registers 170°F, about 45 minutes more. Pour the juices from the chicken cavity into the pan and transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the wine au jus. Strain the cooking juices into a bowl. Skim off any visible fat from the surface and pour the juices back into the roasting pan. Set the pan on 2 burners over medium-high heat. Add the wine and boil until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add the stock and boil until the liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the au jus into a sauceboat.

Carve the chicken and serve hot with the wine au jus.

Serves 6 to 8.

Comment

• skeeeeeeeeet
        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
        *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• My response exactly...

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
            Found this recipe in my Williams-Sonoma email... I'm soaking a smallish chicken as we speak.

Brined Roast Chicken with Wine Au Jus.
            Serves 6 to 8.
            Serves 6-8? My baby must be some kind of hungry today
            “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.”

Comment

• Save that for when the ohioans come to visit.

Cuz we are.
              Last edited by Nathan; 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM.
              Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
              Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
              POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                Save that for when the ohioans come to visit.

Cuz we are.
                Yay! You're always welcome at the Sanchez casa
                “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Lola View Post
                  Serves 6-8? My baby must be some kind of hungry today
                  I am... but not for food.

*jingles handcuffs*

Oh... plus it was a smallish chicken. About 3.5 pounds. There were no leftovers.

Comment

• I read that as "smallish child"

Comment

• Well... choose your own adventure.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg

Comment

• I have a serious fucking ceviche craving...

2 lbs of white fish fillets (corvina, halibut, sea bass, tilapia, sole), cut into small square pieces
                          2-3 hot peppers, red chilies or serranos, sliced
                          4 garlic cloves, crushed
                          4-5 large shallots, peeled and sliced finely
                          4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced very finely
                          2 bell peppers, 1 orange and 1 yellow, diced finely
                          20 limes, separated into about 10 limes to cook the fish and 10 limes for the ceviche marinade
                          1 bunch of cilantro, chopped as finely as possible
                          2-3 tbs sunflower oil
                          Salt to taste

Preparation:

1: Place the raw fish pieces in a glass dish and cover it with salt, hot peppers, crushed garlic, a tablespoon of chopped cilantro, and lime juice from about 10 limes, the fish should be completely covered by lime juice.

2: Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill, let the fish cook itself in the lime juice for at least 4 hours.

3: Place the sliced shallots in a bowl, cover them with warm water and salt, let rest for at least 10 minutes, drain and rinse well.

4: Once the fish is “cooked” in the lime juice rinse it well, removing the hot peppers, garlic and cilantro.

5: Combine the fish with the shallots, tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, and lime juice from remaining 10 limes, sunflower oil and salt to taste in a large non-reactive bowl, mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

6: Serve, then nom.

Comment

• Making the Big Mac better?
                            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• LOVE ceviche. I'm gonna try that one, Vin.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                              Originally posted by gravedigger
                              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• It came out rather well... but I need to make it spicier without being glaringly so. I found some yellowish peppers at the produce store which are spicy... but in the 'creep up on you' sort of way. I will throw those in the next batch and make my report.

Comment

Working...
                                X