Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At long last, my wife made another pot of her awesome chicken soup. Too late to help Ingrid w/ her cold whe it was 1st requested, alas. But make yerself a pot o' prevention and prevent the next cold from hitin' quite so hard:

3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bunch celery + leaves, chopped
    1 bag carrots, peeled & sliced
    1 lg onion, chopped
    1 t red pepper flakes

Sautee the above in 1 T olive oil until tender. Add kosher salt, black pepper, garlic salt, basil, dried parsley to taste, along w/ a pinch of thyme, a pinch of poultry seasoning & 2 bayleaves. Add 8 - 14 oz cans chicken broth, and bring to a boil.

Add 5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes.

Boil 1lb small pasta (such as ditalini) or egg noodles in a seperate pot.

Boil the soup 45 mins, then add the juice of 1 lemon & 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped. Cool to just above room temp and add a handful of grated romano cheese.

Heat again to desired temp & serve, adding the noodles when the soup is served.

Nom.

As you can see, this is a big honkin' quantity. We expect to get at least 3 2 bowls per person meals out of this. It's a lot of work initially, but when you can eat it a couple times in a week, it's worth the investment. To say nothing of the NOM-ilicious-ness of its flavor.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• I note this didn't make the uber thread, so I'm adding it here hoping to rectify that:

Corned Beef Brisket a la Iggy

Cover 1 corned beef brisket with 1" or so of water in a large pot

Discard the pussified "seasoning packet" that most likely came with it

Add 1 - 1 1/2 t EACH cracked black pepercorns, cracked white peppercorns, cracked dark &/or yellow mustard seeds, & dry yellow mustard powder.

Add 2 - 3 bay leaves

Boil for 3 hours, replacing water that boils away; during last 1/2 hour, add 1 small head of green cabbage, quartered; 10 or so fingerling or other small potatoes; 6 peeled carrots, cut into 2" pieces (or an equivalent amount of baby carrots).

Remove meat from pot & slice across the grain. Serve w/ Kosciusko brown mustard & the boiled veggies on the side. Nom.

If done right, you'll get a pleasant burning tingle on your lips. Enjoy!

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• I have been crushing on this salad lately. I have no name for it- I was trying to duplicate one I had in a restaurant. But as my son says about Macaroni and Cheese- "I love it so much, I want to marry it"

So maybe thats my title for it- I dont know if its a little too fruity for you guys. But its very simple and tastes fantastic!

"I love it so much I want to marry it" Salad

Romaine leaves- torn
        Strawberries- halved
        Red Grapes
        Mandarine Orange Slices- drained and from a can will work
        Crumbled Feta Cheese- I use the reduced fat stuff
        Toasted Pecans- sometimes I feelz like them- sometimes I dont
        Red Onions Slices

I place all these on a plate starting with the romaine and then adding everything on top. Its beautiful too!

For the dressing

2 oz Brianna's Blush Wine Vinagrette
        2 oz Red Wine Vinegar
        some salt, pepper, and garlic powder

kind of taste it and see if it needs a little more sweet - add more Brianna's
        if it needs more tart- add more vinegar. use what you need- store the remainder in the fridge for another time.

Comment

• That is FABULOUS, Cass! They have a version of that salad at a diner that we go to, and I order it pretty much every time we eat there. Their version also has the option of adding grilled chicken or shrimp to it, and the chicken version is fantastic! The only real difference is the diner makes theirs with baby spinach leaves instead of romaine. But still - NOM!!
          2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Vin, Martin, et al...I know there is a chicken cordon bleu recipe stirring around in one of your heads. Share please.

Comment

• Originally posted by I_Cassini View Post
              I have been crushing on this salad lately. I have no name for it- I was trying to duplicate one I had in a restaurant. But as my son says about Macaroni and Cheese- "I love it so much, I want to marry it"

So maybe thats my title for it- I dont know if its a little too fruity for you guys. But its very simple and tastes fantastic!

"I love it so much I want to marry it" Salad

Romaine leaves- torn
              Strawberries- halved
              Red Grapes
              Mandarine Orange Slices- drained and from a can will work
              Crumbled Feta Cheese- I use the reduced fat stuff
              Toasted Pecans- sometimes I feelz like them- sometimes I dont
              Red Onions Slices

I place all these on a plate starting with the romaine and then adding everything on top. Its beautiful too!

For the dressing

2 oz Brianna's Blush Wine Vinagrette
              2 oz Red Wine Vinegar
              some salt, pepper, and garlic powder

kind of taste it and see if it needs a little more sweet - add more Brianna's
              if it needs more tart- add more vinegar. use what you need- store the remainder in the fridge for another time.
              My wife makes this salad as well (minus the onions, salt, pepper, and garlic powder). She does it with a raspberry vinaigrette and it's FANTASTIC.
              Originally posted by Martin
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              Originally posted by Martin
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                Vin, Martin, et al...I know there is a chicken cordon bleu recipe stirring around in one of your heads. Share please.
                While I am not a fan of cordon bleu, I am a fan of this. Trust me, it's more better.

Chicken Kiev

5 tablespoons salted butter, softened
                1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
                1 tablespoon minced garlic
                1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
                4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds total)
                1 large egg
                2 tablespoons water
                ½ teaspoon salt
                ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
                ⅔ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
                ⅓ cup crushed cracker crumbs
                ½ cup all-purpose flour
                3 tablespoons olive oil
                1 tablespoon salted butter

1. In a small bowl, beat together the softened butter, lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. Divide the butter mixture into 4 small egg-shaped pieces. Place in a plastic food storage container and chill for at least 2 hours.

2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

3. Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of waxed paper. Pound the breasts lightly into a rectangle about ¼ inch thick. Remove the waxed paper.

4. Put 1 piece of the butter mixture in the center of each chicken breast. Fold in the sides of the chicken, then roll up from one of the short ends, securing with wooden toothpicks as needed. (I find it best to use the same number of toothpicks in each chicken roll so that you remember to take all of them out of each piece before serving.)

5. In a shallow dish, beat together the egg, water, salt, and pepper. In a second shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs and cracker crumbs. In a third dish, place the flour. Coat the chicken rolls first in the flour, then dip in the egg mixture, and then in the breadcrumb mixture, being sure to coat all of the sides.

6. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 1 to 2 minutes on all sides, until golden brown. To make this easier to do, ensure that all of the toothpicks are pushed into the chicken as far as possible.

7. Remove the chicken from the skillet, place in a casserole dish, and bake, covered, for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside. Be sure to remove the toothpicks before serving.

8. Nom.

Comment

• I note my wife's chicken soup recipe didn't make it into an uber thread. Nor did my corned beef. Just sayin'.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                    Vin, Martin, et al...I know there is a chicken cordon bleu recipe stirring around in one of your heads. Share please.
                    See Chicken Kiev, stuff with a slice of ham and swiss cheese, and voilà.
                    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Pink Grapefruit and Champagne sorbet

2-1/2 cups of pink grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed and strained
                      (no commercial juice!!!)
                      1 cup of sugar
                      1-1/3 cup of champagne, or any sparkling wine (you don't have to pay a lot. Just make sure it's not a Prosceco, Muscato or other sweet bubbly wine)

Bring half your champagne and all the sugar to a boil, lower the temperature, and wait until the sugar has disolved.

Pour the hot liquid into a bowl with the grapefruit juice and the champagne. Chill.

Put the liquid into your ice cream mixer, or if you don't have one, here's my ice cream guru on how to make it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                        I note my wife's chicken soup recipe didn't make it into an uber thread. Nor did my corned beef. Just sayin'.
                        That's cause Vin didn't upload it and I've been busy. I'll try and get the recipes added this weekend.
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• WTF is this uber thread?
                          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• really?

*hangs head in shame*
                            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• http://forums.braindeadradio.com/showthread.php?t=3049

http://forums.braindeadradio.com/showthread.php?t=3048

Comment

• SHAME ON DURST.

Comment

Working...
                                X