Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, guys, I hope you like it, and I hope I explained it well enough for an actual recipe. My mom said that when Nonna used to make this, she had no recipe - it was a pinch of this, and a dash of that, and this handful looks about right, etc. Plus, she would have never in a million years done canned broth - mom said that she'd save chicken bones, and boil them all afternoon to make her broth from scratch.

Oh, and speaking of the broth - it doesn't absolutely have to be the College Inn brand - that's just what I was used to my mom using. College Inn is a VERY salty brand, and in fact, the first time I ever made this for George, I used the Swanson low sodium chicken broth (still get two large cans, that's best to do).
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Unless you actually have high blood pressure, as I understand it sodium intake isn't an issue. So until I have my 1st coronary, lo salt = fail.

Yea, verily, I say unto you: Who will die with me!?
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
        Unless you actually have high blood pressure, as I understand it sodium intake isn't an issue.
        That's what I thought too - turns out you actually can wind up with high blood pressure from too much salt. And anyway, too much saltiness just ruins the taste - so you just have to be careful with both the broth and the amount of parmesan.
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• I just don't like too much salt, 'sall. Some people can handle that shit, but I can't. I'm a weiner.
          "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
          *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Oh, make no mistake, too much anything - except garlic - can mess up any dish. I'm just sayin' I personally feel no need to go lo salt just yet. Some of THAT crap is. . . well. . . crap.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Oh, make no mistake, too much anything - except garlic - can mess up any dish. I'm just sayin' I personally feel no need to go lo salt just yet. Some of THAT crap is. . . well. . . crap.
              Cowards... the lot of you.

Four things in vast quantities make ANY dish more nommable.

A: Bacon
              2: Heavy cream
              D: Real butter
              5: Garlic

If in doubt, remember my motto...

"If the left arm goes numb... YUM YUM YUM!"

Comment

• Any of you folks have a simple enchilada recipe you could pass down?
                "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                  Cowards... the lot of you.

Four things in vast quantities make ANY dish more nommable.

A: Bacon
                  2: Heavy cream
                  D: Real butter
                  5: Garlic

If in doubt, remember my motto...

"If the left arm goes numb... YUM YUM YUM!"
                  This man speaks TRUTH. AND FATNESS.
                  BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                    Any of you folks have a simple enchilada recipe you could pass down?
                    Enchiladas are pretty damn easy man. I make them every couple weeks or so. I'm not as good as a restaurant, but does in a pinch. I'll have to think on a recipe. It's just so second nature to me.

Heat oven to 300
                    Prepare chicken/beef to your liking, meaning fully cooked and spiced
                    Place flour tortillas in a glass baking dish
                    Fill tortillas with cheese and chicken/beef
                    Fold tortillas up with the seam on the bottom of the dish
                    Pour two-three cans of enchilada sauce on top of tortillas
                    Top with more cheese, I recommend going easy on the queso fresco as it tends to get very hard and crusty in the oven
                    Heat for about 10 minutes in the oven, until your cheese is good and melty

Not the most specific recipe, but the ingredients for enchiladas are totally up to you. They're as customizable as a good sammich. Look around and pick some good ideas, but the basic idea (above) stays the same. Much easier to prepare than you would expect.

Comment

• That's pretty much how I make 'em. BUt I spread a tablespoonful or so of salsa (the hotta, the betta) in the filling, & I often (but not always) use Goya red beans & rice in the filling (& on the side, if any's left) as well. The spicing I just kind of eyeball, and consists of garlic powder, oregano, cilantro, cumin, and chili powder. No specific quantities, but more chili powder, & easy on the cilantro & cumin (a little of those goes a long way).

Comment

• I actually skip the chili powder, and go straight cayenne. Beans on the inside? YOURE A MAD MAN!

Comment

• http://www.robbwalsh.com/

Mentioned in the 500 Foods thread. This guy is a Tex Mex god. Want to eat like a champ? Buy his books and use the recipes. He is opening his own restaurant with a couple of Houston restaurateurs sometime after the New Year (at the old theater at Montrose/Westheimer, Howard) and he is running the menu. Super excited.

Comment

That's pretty much how I make 'em. BUt I spread a tablespoonful or so of salsa (the hotta, the betta) in the filling, & I often (but not always) use Goya red beans & rice in the filling (& on the side, if any's left) as well. The spicing I just kind of eyeball, and consists of garlic powder, oregano, cilantro, cumin, and chili powder. No specific quantities, but more chili powder, & easy on the cilantro & cumin (a little of those goes a long way).
                            Fuck yes. I need to try this.
                            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• FLOUR tortillas for enchiladas? Beans on the fucking inside?

Y'all,
                              "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                              *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• I'LL PUT MY GODDAMN BEANS ANYWHERE I WANT TO MR. VANDERHUGE. GOOD DAY SIR!
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X