No announcement yet.

Beer. Beer. And more beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently drinking some Duvel from Belgium. Really good stuff. Has knd of a citrusy, orange flavor to start, with a strong malty backbone, but it never gets cloying or sickly. Just enough hops on the aftertaste to keep it honest. Fizzy with carbonation, it bloomed a thick pillowy head. You'd hardly believe such a grntle, agreeable beer has 8% ABV. Kind of reminds me of a more subtle version of Unibroue's stuff.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• I DRANK SO MANY BEERS LAST WEEK.

Nothing out of the ordinary, but it was more the quantity per night and the lack of hangovers I'm more proud of.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Had an Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA with dinner. Fabulous. Nice bitter, piney/citrus hop opening, it had a sort of fruity, caramel middle, and finished clean & dry. Paired really well with the pepper spiced pork kabobs I made for dinner as well. I really dig this brewery's output.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Was also surprised that Bud Light Premium was 6% alcohol. Would have no idea if my partner didn't point that out. Obviously wouldn't suggest it for any beer snobs (as it just tastes like the definition of beer) but for 3 bucks for a giant bottle out there, not bad at the end of the night when I was already full from the Arrogant Bastards beers I drank.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Went to a brew fest last night. Always fun but mixing so many different beers results in a terrible war in my belly the next morning. I don't know why.

Comment

• Drank a Stone Old GUardian Barleywine Saturday night. I really didn't like this. It had a moderate hop attack up front, which is fine. American Barleywines tend to do that, regardless of whether it's strictly in keeping w/ British tradition or not. But it had a bitter (and not hoppy bitter) antiseptic kind of aftertaste. The fruity caramel notes one would expect from the malt never made an appearance. Much as I like Stone's output generally, this one wanders a little too far afield from the traditional recipes it's suposedly based on, IMO.

Comment

• good to know. I usually dig Stone' stuff.

Comment

• Speaking of Barleywines, there is a bar here in SF that does a Barleywine festival. Apparently, it's a big vomitfest complete with trashbins. I need to go sometime.
                  Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• I stopped off at a great liquor store I had to pass on my way back to the office this AM. I had my heart set on a six of Fuller's ESB. When I got to the beer cooler, I saw it. . . right above a sleeve of Theakston's Old Peculier. I never thought I'd ever see that in the States, & have read really good things about it. I agonized for a good 5 minutes over which one to buy. I ultimately opted for the Fuller's.

But I know what I'm getting next time. . . .

Comment

• The Fuller's is good. On my 1st sip I didn't care for it, but it grew on me very quickly after that. Despite the "bitters" in the name, it had a center of fruity malt & a little caramel to balance out the hop bitterness (which was nowhere near as strong a bitter bnote as an American pale or IPA would have). One of the most complex beers I have eber tried.

I'm also drinking the last holdout from a 6 of New Belgium 1554. The back story on the label says on a trip to Belgium the brewmaster discovered a book from an abbey written in 1554. IN it was a recipe for an extinct & previously unknown style of beer. It was written using outdated, ancient uinits of measurement, so he head to take educated guesses when trying to recreate it. I found the backstory so intriguing that I had to try some. Pretty good stuff. More malty & sweet, w/ some caramel notes up front, than anything else, it has a nice off dry, lightly hoppy/bitter finish. Also produced a big, thick head. Dark as coffee, it has some roasted/smoky notes as well. I don't think this is something destined to become a favorite, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Comment

• I had a Sweet Action Cream Ale last night. You should drink that one guys.

Comment

• Enjoying a couple Lagunitas Pale ales. Good stuff. Only moderately hoppy, it is very clean & dry. No malt to speak of, but still not overly hoppy/bitter. Kind of reminds me of a Bass, but it's a little hoppier.

Comment

• Left Hand Brewery Oktoberfest is pretty legit. Malty, bready, caramel flavors giving way to a refined, restrained hop bitterness. Actually got much better as it warmed up a bit from fridge temperature.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                              I had a Sweet Action Cream Ale last night. You should drink that one guys.
                              There's a local craft brewery that does a cream ale. It sounded weird on paper but tasted so good.

Anyone tried the Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale? Holy crap, it's delicious. You can actually taste the pumpkin and a lot of spice, unlike that Shock Top garbage.

Comment

• The Theakston's Old Peculier was good stuff. Had sort of a salty taste up front, with some biscuity malt in the center, and just a slight whiff of bitterness on the finish. A gentle, agreeable ale with a sessionable ABV, I wish I could have tried one with a steak. Or a meatloaf. I'll have to buy some more & save one for grillin' weather.

Also, I had some friends over for super spicy chili & beer last weekend. To accompany it I chose, along with some Anderson Valley Hop Ottin & Sam's Boston Lager, Pilsner Urquell. For some reason, I developed the opinion in my teens that I didn't like German beers. Mistakenly believing this to be German in origin (it is actually from the Czech Republic), I have avoided it. But Garrett Oliver describes it as a classic, and after trying some I can see why. It has a crisp, sharp but not overpowering bitterness on the opening, followed by a bready, biscuity center, and ending quickly with a dry snap. Worked really well with the chili, and it's easy to see why this, the world's 1st pilsner, is regarded as a classic.

lastly, had some Great lakes Brewing Co. Commodore Perry IPA that one of said friends brought to chili night. A fine example of the style. Had a nice hoppy bitterness to it that was more herbal than piney or citrusy. Kind of a different take on IPA. I really enjoyed it. I did not, however, pair it with chili, a situation I may have to rectify tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X