Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you have for dinner last night?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a fucking on point seared duck breast with a brown butter grape sauce paired with a roasted squash/brussels sprout side dish that also had caramelized onions, almonds, and a bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled in.

shit was bangin
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I had a Bola frozen pizza. They're from Austin, and I doubt sell very far out of the area, but fuck. Best frozen pizza I ever had. Roasted mozz, caramelized onions, and I added pepper flakes.

Comment

• Made pot roast in the instant pot with a Sangiovese wine I got from a Cincy winery. Holy shit that was good. Would pair well with egg noodles.
        Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• homemade bento box attempt - soy marinated soft boiled eggs on rice, cucumber and kimchi, bokchoy and ginger, sesame carrots, and a white miso glaze on fried pork belly. not bad.
          Last edited by Abraham Smashington; 12-05-2022, 09:17 AM.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Made the cashew chicken recipe in the new issue of Bon Appetit. It was legit, but I'd add some more heat next time. Thai chili powder, red pepper flakes, something.

Comment

• Recreated a Hello Fresh recipe I had at my sister’s house around thanksgiving. Nothing crazy, just Italian sausage and rigatoni in a red sauce. Original called for Italian chicken sausage, which was impossible to find around here, so I just had to do regular Italian sausage. All in all, pretty close to the original.
              Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• We use Italian chicken sausage in our kale gnocchi soup that Sarah makes. You might find it at a Whole Foods.

Comment

• Hmmm, in that case, I wonder if Fresh Thyme might have it. Whole paycheck is south of town and I try to avoid going down there when I can. But thank you for the idea, I hadn’t even thought of them.

Comment

• You could also try ordering HEB online for out of state delivery. Pretty sure they got that up and running. All the best shit is from HEB.

Comment

• Leftover “nacho” fries. Leftover chicken, leftover corn, seasoned fries, taco cheese and taco sauce. I wish I had pickled jalape

Comment

• https://www.joshuaweissman.com/post/...de-katsu-curry

Made this. Following these instructions, it took about 2 hours. If I was to do it again (I will be) this is what I'd do different:

I swapped pork for chicken, but same difference, I would prep the protein the night before. I'd flatten the chicken, season with miso paste, and batter it the night before. Let the flavor get stronger, and save about 30-40 minutes preparing the protein on the night I make the curry.

Second, I wouldn't prepare anything else before getting the onion cooking. You need 30-40 minutes to cook 3 onions down. Get those going ASAP. You can prepare the other things while those cook, because you just need to keep an eye on it so they don't burn. While the onions cook down, I'd skip frying the chicken (or pork) and actually bake it. This recipes uses a TON of butter plus grease is a pain to clean. So I'd just bake it with the panko and save a ton of calories.

I'd add a few things for flavor. Probably extra teaspoon of curry powder and the garam masala. Also I was not able to get shiitake mushrooms, which was not the move. Definitely get these to cook in your chicken stock, because it will give flavor mine was sorely missing.

Overall I give myself a 4/5 for a first attempt. It made at least 4 servings, so have enough leftover rice to eat it for a few nights. You can definitely get 2-3 nights out of this depending on how large the protein is you make.

Comment

• This was legit. I'm getting better at making decent ramen. The porkbelly glaze of sambal olek and hoisin was yummm.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                            https://www.joshuaweissman.com/post/...de-katsu-curry

Made this. Following these instructions, it took about 2 hours. If I was to do it again (I will be) this is what I'd do different:

I swapped pork for chicken, but same difference, I would prep the protein the night before. I'd flatten the chicken, season with miso paste, and batter it the night before. Let the flavor get stronger, and save about 30-40 minutes preparing the protein on the night I make the curry.

Second, I wouldn't prepare anything else before getting the onion cooking. You need 30-40 minutes to cook 3 onions down. Get those going ASAP. You can prepare the other things while those cook, because you just need to keep an eye on it so they don't burn. While the onions cook down, I'd skip frying the chicken (or pork) and actually bake it. This recipes uses a TON of butter plus grease is a pain to clean. So I'd just bake it with the panko and save a ton of calories.

I'd add a few things for flavor. Probably extra teaspoon of curry powder and the garam masala. Also I was not able to get shiitake mushrooms, which was not the move. Definitely get these to cook in your chicken stock, because it will give flavor mine was sorely missing.

Overall I give myself a 4/5 for a first attempt. It made at least 4 servings, so have enough leftover rice to eat it for a few nights. You can definitely get 2-3 nights out of this depending on how large the protein is you make.
                            Hate that guy but like we were talking about via discord, I'll give this a go with the changes.

Comment

• Made pot roast for new year's dinner. Had been a solid 6-7 months since I made it. Goddamn I love roast. We had biscuits in the fridge Sarah made a week ago, so I warmed a pair of those up and just dunked them in the roast gravy. Amazing.

Comment

• That sounds delightful! We haven’t done a roast in a minute, but I’ve got about 3 recipes that I rotate between that are all delicious.

Comment

Working...
                                X