Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you have for dinner last night?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My old Lodge dutch oven decided that last night was the night it was done being used. I was about to dump in the veggies to sweat before making my white chicken chili when I heard a "pop/sizzle" and I noticed that the ceramic coating decided to chip away for some reason. RIP, it was a good solider. Thankfully I have another coming in the mail this week but making my chili was anxiety inducing last night. It was good but not as good but that could just be in my head.

"Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Made chili as well. Finally got below 80 degrees!

Made literally the best steak I ever have for New Year's dinner. Sous Vide a NY Strip at 129 for 2 hours after marinating overnight in salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary. While that worked I made the NY Times Scalloped potatoes, my absolute favorite potatoes. Took out the steaks, heated up my new carbon steel skillet, which is amazing, and got it ready to sear. Tossed in butter, 4 sprigs of thyme and a big one of rosemary. Added the steaks. 1 minute each side. Perfect even sears. Sauteed green beans with olive oil, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Olde Virden's mixes are amazing.
      Last edited by BillyG; 01-03-2022, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Marinating over night seems overkill but everything else sounds grubbing. 129 for 2 hours is perfect. Making me crave steak now lol.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• tonight I'm doing a roasted cornish game hen with smashed potatoes and flakey biscuits with a garlic rosemary gravy.

Hopefully next week I get to work on learning how to make curry paste and some amazing food.

Comment

• I decided to give Hello Fresh a try for the month of January, mostly so we can shake things up a little. Last night was pork chops with a rosemary demi-glace, mashed potatoes, and roasted carrots and onions. Quite tasty.
            Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Hello Fresh was always pretty good when I used it, but I always ended up wasting at least a meal a week.

Comment

• I went with the two meals a week option because I was afraid we would end up doing the same thing. My sister has been using them for years and has been generally pretty happy with them.
                Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Made a fucking DELICIOUS pan seared duck breast (getting good at this) with a blood orange and fig sauce with some roasted brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes with some orange zest and calabrian chili paste.

Shit was fucking GRUBBIN.

I fucking LOVE duck.

Comment

• Nathan made a Sam the Cooking Guy recipe for garlic French bread pizza. Super tasty, but holy fuck it was a LOT of garlic. 9 cloves in all. We agreed that if/when we make it again we’re cutting back on the garlic.

Comment

• Was digging through our boxes of books (we still need to get a bookshelf since the renovation) and couldn't find my Bourdain books. So I bought another copy of Les Halles and Appetites, and am going through it picking things to make. We are going to try and cook through a recipe or two every week.

Comment

• made my BDR bourbon chicken recipe last night. Goddamn, still so fucking good and easy to make.

Comment

• Ughhhhh, bourbon chicken sounds amazing. We don’t generally keep liquor in the house, so I haven’t tried making it before, but I may need to get some airplane bottles and do it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                            Was digging through our boxes of books (we still need to get a bookshelf since the renovation) and couldn't find my Bourdain books. So I bought another copy of Les Halles and Appetites, and am going through it picking things to make. We are going to try and cook through a recipe or two every week.
                            I had the same thought about my Julia Child cookbooks. They’ve been sitting in the bookcase for two years, I need to crack them open

Comment

• Not dinner, but I just made my favorite chocolate chip scones and fuck they are good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ingrid View Post
                                Ughhhhh, bourbon chicken sounds amazing. We don’t generally keep liquor in the house, so I haven’t tried making it before, but I may need to get some airplane bottles and do it up.
                                FWIW my recipe uses NO bourbon. Just called that. And it's amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X