Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you have for dinner last night?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesley bought us The Food Lab

It's a pretty amazing cookbook that covers EVERYTHING you'd need to know to start cooking better.

We made our first recipe from it which was this extreme garlic shrimp pasta stuff. I had to make a shrimp/garlic infused oil first which was new for me. It was pretty fucking tasty. Next time I'll undercook the shrimp a bit more since after everything was put together the shrimp were a tad overcooked.

We're going to attempt the chicken and dumplings recipe next.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• PULLED PORK SAMMICHS LAST NIGHT OH GAWD SO GOOD

We bought an oven thermometer because the last time I made this it came out tough and I couldn't figure it out since I've made this a shit load of times. Turns out our oven needs to be set higher than the temp you need by about 10-15 degrees. Was able to keep the oven temp at exactly 250 last night. This pork melted when I stuck a fork in it. SO GOOOOOD
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
        Lesley bought us The Food Lab

It's a pretty amazing cookbook that covers EVERYTHING you'd need to know to start cooking better.

We made our first recipe from it which was this extreme garlic shrimp pasta stuff. I had to make a shrimp/garlic infused oil first which was new for me. It was pretty fucking tasty. Next time I'll undercook the shrimp a bit more since after everything was put together the shrimp were a tad overcooked.

We're going to attempt the chicken and dumplings recipe next.
        I'm a Kenji man since 2010. My wife ordered me that book for my Bday. It'S is excellent, but I was sad that he left pizzas for volume 2. His approach on chilies veered a bit since then, and I wanna see how he'll veer with pizzas!

And while it's sometimes time-exhausting recipes, the principles he teaches are excellent and adaptable. Honestly, it's a must-buy. I'm still learning shit after all these years.

I don't remember if the has his chocolate chip cookie recipe, but OH MY GAWWWWD.
        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• In case you didn't know, Kenji Lopez-Alt is my culinary spirit animal.

Comment

• I didn't know he was the dude from seriouseats

the book is legit but Lesley was bummed there were no pho recipes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
              I didn't know he was the dude from seriouseats

the book is legit but Lesley was bummed there were no pho recipes.
              BRO, make her happy:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/09/t...amese-pho.html

Comment

• Another pork roast, this one seasoned w/ salt, pepper, lemon pepper and garlic, w/ all the above added to the jarred gravy along w/ pan drippings and grated lemon peel from 1/2 a lemon. Almost as good as the last one, and the leftovers made great Cuban sammiches.
                I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Some amazing cornbread, brisket fundido and fried shrimp and grits balls. And lots of booze.

Comment

• I made beef tips with mushrooms, onions, and rice and gravy. From scratch. I'm fucking badass.
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Not sure what is giving me life more right now, the FUCKING RAD carne asada chimichanga I just ate or the squad of 6 ft tall models or sorority sisters who were at the next table over.

Comment

• Have both, Grave, and live forever!

Comment

• Making my favorite chili recipe for my office's first annual chili cook off. They're going to try and do it every Friday before the Super B - er - the "Big Game". I been talkin' a lot of shit. I better win this motherfucker.
                          I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• made some amazing chicken wings for Lesley and I last night. Hers were teriyaki flavored and mine were straight buffalo. So goddamn good. I love Alton's method of steaming them first before baking them.

They come out PERFECT everytime. Then it's just a matter of making new sauces to try.

soooo good man.

Comment

• My wife made some baked French fries last night that were fantastic. I don't know everything that was involved but definitely included olive oil, garlic, Parmesan, and some other spices. Now I want to pair those with Rob's wings.

Comment

• The wings are the shit man.

1. Get some wings
                                2. Seperate the wings and discard the tips (unless you save them for stock)
                                3.THIS IS WHERE I SAID FUCK YOU ALTON AND DID MY OWN THING: seasoned them up with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oldbay, and red cayenne pepper
                                4. Get a pot with a steamer basket and one inch of water. Get water boiling. Throw wings in steamer basket, reduce heat to medium. Steam those fucks for 10 mins.
                                5. Pat completely dry, arrange on a rack with paper towels underneath, pop in fridge for at least an hour
                                6. Pre-heat oven at 425
                                7.Bake for 20 mins. Flip wings. Bake again for another 15-20 mins or so.
                                8. Take them out and coat with your favorite sauce.

SOO GOOD

Comment

Working...
                                X