Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you have for dinner last night?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fucking POT ROAST with garlic mashed taters. FUCK YES. First time making a pot roast and it turned out awesomely. The gravy in particular was awesometacular.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Please do detail the gravy. I've been fucking aggravated because the gravy I typically use is Swanson roast gravy, which is big and thick as fuck and amazing. For whatever fucking reason the grocery store near my new place does not carry this, and I have been using a pork gravy which is much thinner. Did you toss some onion, carrots, and green beans in with the roast?

Comment

• 4lb chuck roast covered in salt and pepper. Seared all sides in my cast iron and then threw it in the bottom of the crockpot. Added a whole white onion chopped, 4 carrots chopped, 7 potatoes cubed, 3 garlic gloves smashed, 1 packet of onion soup mix, 2 cups of beef broth and some beer. Cooked on low for 8 hours. Pulled roast and most vegetables out of the crock pot and placed into a baking dish. Poured the juices through a strainer twice. Added strained juice to a sauce pan over medium heat. Added 3 tablespoons of flour and whisked until consistency was to my liking. Considering this was my first time making a pot roast, it didn't turn out too shabby.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• That sounds incredibly good.
          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• A tip on gravy making. If possible, try with all your might not to add straight flour to your gravy. Mix your flour thoroughly in a 1/2 cup of warm water, then add it to the gravy. It lessens the lumps one normally gets, and creates a smoother mix.

Comment

• Noted, although I had no lumps or a consistency issue after whisking.

Comment

• I'm sorry, Rob... but potentially lumpy gravy is a risk I'm not willing to take.

It's on you head, then.

Comment

• What about using corn starch instead?
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• You can, but cut it way down. No more than 1 tablespoon. I usually only use cornstarch when cooking something Asian.

Comment

• I've used Wondra flour before with the instructions on the back to wonderful affect, and that was just mixing with cold water, then boiling jus straight from the crock pot.
                      "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
                      - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
                      http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
                      http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                        A tip on gravy making. If possible, try with all your might not to add straight flour to your gravy. Mix your flour thoroughly in a 1/2 cup of warm water, then add it to the gravy. It lessens the lumps one normally gets, and creates a smoother mix.
                        1/2 cup? I typically use a 2:1 ratio water to flour, w/ tablespoons being the usual unit of measure. Any special reason you'd use that much water? I've never seen a recipe call for so much.
                        I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Vin likes his gravy like he likes his enemies tears. Free flowing.
                          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                            1/2 cup? I typically use a 2:1 ratio water to flour, w/ tablespoons being the usual unit of measure. Any special reason you'd use that much water? I've never seen a recipe call for so much.
                            I back off on the beef or chicken broth to lessen the sodium content, so I just calculate the 1/2 cup into the recipe.

Comment

• Did chicken with lime, roasted garlic and chili, and for dessert, a Pink Grapefruit and Champagne sorbet.

Holy shit.
                              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Oh god fuck I made chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes dripping in cream gravy since my mom, niece, and sister came over for dinner. Food coma time.

Comment

Working...
                                X