Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you have for dinner last night?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had just the most awful, horrible steamed seafood dumplings from a different Chinese place than I normally order from. Just the worst. It was like the Freshkills landfill in dumpling form. I ate two of them before I gave up, threw them out, and made a peanut butter sandwich.
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Hew can you fuck up dumplings?
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Hew can you fuck up dumplings?
        Not sure. My take on "steamed seafood dumplings" on a Chinese menu has always been steamed shrimp - whole shrimp - inside of them. I've been eating them for a zillion years, and that's always how they've been made. My mistake was that this place was new, and I ordered over the phone, so I didn't see them till they arrived. They looked fine - the dumpling part wasn't the issue. The "seafood" - and, yes, the quotation marks ARE intentional - was ground up something or other, like a filling. It looked like whitefish, but it sure as hell didn't taste like whitefish. It was gross and overly-fishy and stale tasting - like it started off as fish, and then fermented, and then became Cthulhu dumplings. Brushing my teeth and rinsing with mouthwash didn't get rid of that taste. That was a taste that only gargling with holy water could remove.
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

Comment

• Originally posted by LisaNY View Post
          Not sure. My take on "steamed seafood dumplings" on a Chinese menu has always been steamed shrimp - whole shrimp - inside of them. I've been eating them for a zillion years, and that's always how they've been made. My mistake was that this place was new, and I ordered over the phone, so I didn't see them till they arrived. They looked fine - the dumpling part wasn't the issue. The "seafood" - and, yes, the quotation marks ARE intentional - was ground up something or other, like a filling. It looked like whitefish, but it sure as hell didn't taste like whitefish. It was gross and overly-fishy and stale tasting - like it started off as fish, and then fermented, and then became Cthulhu dumplings. Brushing my teeth and rinsing with mouthwash didn't get rid of that taste. That was a taste that only gargling with holy water could remove.
          So what have we learned?

Never order takeaway from a place you have not already had a sit-down meal. The place I order from is tiny, and has only 2 tables, since 99 44/100% of their business is delivery... but I sat down and had the Singapore rice noodles anyway.

I have not looked back.

Comment

• I know, and you're right. I do have a "standard" place that rocks, but I always like giving a new place a whirl. I won't be trying that again!

It's funny how you describe your favorite place, Vin. George and I have a favorite place out in his neighborhood where the food is UNBELIEVABLE. Literally the most amazing Chinese food I've ever had. Fresh, delicious, always fantastic. And it's a BIG sit down place with a giant dining room, although they do take out there as well. The funny thing? We've been going there for over two years, and on a Saturday or Sunday night at dinner time, there's maybe, MAYBE one or two other sit-down customers in the whole place besides us. It's never once ever had more than three full tables at prime dinner hour on a weekend. We can't understand how they stay in business.
            Last edited by Lisa; 10-14-2010, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• We ordered take out a few weeks ago from a place we hadn't tried. It was DELICIOUS.

I miss to death this Korean BBQ joint that was around the corner from the apartment in Toronto. That goddamn place was the boar's tits.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                We ordered take out a few weeks ago from a place we hadn't tried. It was DELICIOUS.

I miss to death this Korean BBQ joint that was around the corner from the apartment in Toronto. That goddamn place was the boar's tits.
                I have a Korean place a few towns over that I hit as often as I can. The dipping sauce for their bulgogi is fucking amazing... yet try as I may, I cannot duplicate it.

I've always debated bringing a sample to a friend at Villanova and having them put it under the gas chromatograph to find out the ingredients.

Comment

• The thing I loved about this particular joint was that they would bring you all the sauces, sides, meat to your table, and had the open put in the middle of each table so you could cook how you wanted it and eat all you wanted for like $9. One time I reached into the fire with my chopsticks instead of the tongs and set my sticks on fire

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                    So what have we learned?

Never order takeaway from a place you have not already had a sit-down meal. The place I order from is tiny, and has only 2 tables, since 99 44/100% of their business is delivery... but I sat down and had the Singapore rice noodles anyway.

I have not looked back.
                    Werdz of Wizdom.

and Korean BBQ... fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
                    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Ate at this place tonight:

http://www.tiltedkilt.com/

Woo boy.
                      "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
                      - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
                      http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
                      http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Miller View Post
                        Ate at this place tonight:

http://www.tiltedkilt.com/

Woo boy.
                        First I ever heard of the place; turns out there's one in Hoboken, but that's a bit of a haul.

Comment

• It's the irish pub hooters. If you want some eye candy (and by eye candy I mean ridiculously short kilts and constant sideboob) with your pub grub, go for it.
                          "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
                          - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
                          http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
                          http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• I want kilts and side boob! Somewhere Bobby shrugs at his daily viewing.

Had fast food for the first time in three months last night. Wasn't really hungry but we went to best buy late and my gf was desiring ice cream. I recommended sonic. It was amazing.

Comment

• Sonic is always amazing!

Comment

• Amazingly nauseating.

Comment

Working...
                                X