Breaking Bad: SEASON 5... the first half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BMichaelKrol View Post
    In Josh's defense, she's not blameless. I agree with her divorce attorney: Skylar needed to turn Walt in, immediately. Once she didn't, she became an accessory to all of his crimes. So I'm not a Skylar fan either. I understand why she didn't, but I don't think she's a great person.
    Exactly, she was told what to do to stay clean of it and she chose not to. Maybe not to the same degree as Carmella, but she made her choice.
    Originally posted by Nathan View Post
    She was just super super annoying at first. By design I think. It made Walts initial choices more sympathetic I think.
    This is true, but unlike others I didn't notice the supposed switch from super annoying to Mrs. Brady.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I don't disagree with the idea that Walt is designed - and performed - as more likable than Skyler, despite him doing inarguably 'worse' things.

What I will say is that, between this and Deadwood, Anna Gunn has smartly chosen parts playing the intelligent, if unlikable, wife and nailed so many subtle, strong moments I can't help but love watching Skyler develop on second viewing.

Same goes for Hank, Jesse, Saul, Tuco, Tio, Mike... and so on.

I just would hate for Gunn's performance to be written off because of how well she plays the less sympathetic Skyler.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• While you're bringing Carm into the discussion, I just want to say this is one of the best scenes TV ever produced:

Carmela Soprano: He's a good man. He's a good father.

Dr. Krakower: You tell me he's a depressed criminal, prone to anger, serially unfaithful. Is that your definition of a good man?... You must trust your initial impulse and consider leaving him. You'll never be able to feel good about yourself. You'll never be able to quell the feelings of guilt and shame that you talked about, so long as you're his accomplice.

Carmela Soprano: You're wrong about the accomplice part, though.

Dr. Krakower: You sure?

Carmela Soprano: All I did was make sure he's got clean clothes in his closet and dinner on his table.

Dr. Krakower: So "enable" would be a more accurate job description for what you do than "accomplice". My apologies... Take only the children - what's left of them - and go.

Carmela Soprano: My priest said I should work with him, help him to become a better man.

Dr. Krakower: How's that going?

Carmela Soprano: What we say in here, stays in here, right?

Dr. Krakower: By ethical code, and by law.

Carmela Soprano: His crimes... they are, organized crime.

Dr. Krakower: The Mafia!

Carmela Soprano: Oh Jesus.

[wipes tears from her eyes]

Carmela Soprano: So what? So what? He betrays me every week with these whores!

Dr. Krakower: Probably the least of his misdeeds.

[Carmela gets up to leave]

Dr. Krakower: You can leave now, or you can stay and hear what I have to say.

Carmela Soprano: You're gonna charge me all the same.

Dr. Krakower: I won't take your money.

Carmela Soprano: That's a new one.

Dr. Krakower: Have you ever read Crime and Punishment? Dostoyevksy?

[Carmela shakes her head 'no']

Dr. Krakower: It's not an easy read. It's about guilt and redemption. I think your husband ought to turn himself and read this book in his jail cell and meditate on his crimes every day for seven years, so that he might be redeemed.

Carmela Soprano: I would have to get a lawyer, find an apartment, arrange for child support...

Dr. Krakower: You, you're not listening. I'm not charging you because I won't take blood money, and you can't, either. One thing you can never say is that you haven't been told.

Carmela Soprano: I see.
        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
          While you're bringing Carm into the discussion, I just want to say this is one of the best scenes TV ever produced:

Carmela Soprano: He's a good man. He's a good father.

Dr. Krakower: You tell me he's a depressed criminal, prone to anger, serially unfaithful. Is that your definition of a good man?... You must trust your initial impulse and consider leaving him. You'll never be able to feel good about yourself. You'll never be able to quell the feelings of guilt and shame that you talked about, so long as you're his accomplice.

Carmela Soprano: You're wrong about the accomplice part, though.

Dr. Krakower: You sure?

Carmela Soprano: All I did was make sure he's got clean clothes in his closet and dinner on his table.

Dr. Krakower: So "enable" would be a more accurate job description for what you do than "accomplice". My apologies... Take only the children - what's left of them - and go.

Carmela Soprano: My priest said I should work with him, help him to become a better man.

Dr. Krakower: How's that going?

Carmela Soprano: What we say in here, stays in here, right?

Dr. Krakower: By ethical code, and by law.

Carmela Soprano: His crimes... they are, organized crime.

Dr. Krakower: The Mafia!

Carmela Soprano: Oh Jesus.

[wipes tears from her eyes]

Carmela Soprano: So what? So what? He betrays me every week with these whores!

Dr. Krakower: Probably the least of his misdeeds.

[Carmela gets up to leave]

Dr. Krakower: You can leave now, or you can stay and hear what I have to say.

Carmela Soprano: You're gonna charge me all the same.

Dr. Krakower: I won't take your money.

Carmela Soprano: That's a new one.

Dr. Krakower: Have you ever read Crime and Punishment? Dostoyevksy?

[Carmela shakes her head 'no']

Dr. Krakower: It's not an easy read. It's about guilt and redemption. I think your husband ought to turn himself and read this book in his jail cell and meditate on his crimes every day for seven years, so that he might be redeemed.

Carmela Soprano: I would have to get a lawyer, find an apartment, arrange for child support...

Dr. Krakower: You, you're not listening. I'm not charging you because I won't take blood money, and you can't, either. One thing you can never say is that you haven't been told.

Carmela Soprano: I see.
          Agreed, so good.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Such a good scene. Been like two years since my last Sopranos re-watch, I need to watch some others before I do that again.

Comment

• Already watched 2 episodes today. Man, Jonathan Banks is so good.

Comment

• I'm just coming to the end of S4 again. I forgot how non-chump-a-tized Hank is. He starts out like the comic relief, but he's a fucking dog with a bone when it comes to Fring.

I can't wait to see how this shakes out. I have some theories, but I hope Gilligan's got something really smart up his sleeve. There's no way Walt isn't gonna burn unless he kills Hank now, surely?

Comment

• I think that's going to be the final showdown. I'm going to talk about the cold open for next week's new ep so let me put on my spoiler togs (get it? OLOLOLOL)-

Spoiler: 5.2.1 
                  so the cold open centers on the White House having been abandoned for weeks (months?) and someone tagged HEISENBERG inside. Combined with the fact Walt is on the run using an assumed identity,I think it's safe to say Hank cements his case and outs Walt.

I'm thinking the bulk of the season will be cat-and-mouse between Hank and Walt with the last episode or two catching up to Walt's 52nd birthday so we learn why he needs a freakin' machine gun. but, honestly, I don't think he wants that gun for a big shoot out. I hope there's some crazy "Science, bitch!" for the heavy gear.

I watched 7 episodes of season 5 yesterday so I've already really accomplished...something this weekend.

Comment

• ATTN: Billy- http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/...e-this-friday/

Comment

• THIS IS FIVE MINUTES FROM MY OFFICE OMGOMGOMG I COULD GO AT LUNCH ALSO MY TRUCK IS FILTHY

Comment

• Damn, not doing it here in MN.
                        Originally posted by Martin
                        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                        Originally posted by gravedigger
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I'm only half joking when I say I'm tempted to make the eight hour drive down to Denver on Friday.

Comment

• I did pretty much all of S5 this weekend too. All caught up now and can't wait.

I don't have a problem with Hank at the close - in fact, I love it.

I DO have a problem with:

Spoiler: season 5.1 major spoilerage 
                            Mike's death. Not in and of itself, but Walt's decision to off him then and there. Didn't quite feel earned that his hubris would take him there in that way, even after his, 'Say my name' speech. Given what a smart badass Mike was, I wanted it to feel more... organic. His last line is killer, though.

Comment

• Ben: I just hate the fact that he died. He was my favorite character on the damned show.

Regardless, put me down as being uber primed for Sunday's episode. If the final 8 episodes live up to expectations, then this show will definitely be the best TV show that I've ever watched.
                              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                              Originally posted by gravedigger
                              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• It needs to convert the ending in order to be up with The Wire, but it's jostling with The Sopranos at this point, if only by virtue of trimming the extra season in favour of not getting overly repetitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X