Project Runway All Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Runway All Stars

Missed it last week due to the car accident, so we watched both episodes back to back.

Thoughts:
    - I love that it's a new crew running/hosting the show, but man...Tim Gunn is missed. Badly.
    - Some of these guests are NOT all stars. Elisa? Sweet P? They may have had personality but they certainly were not the most talented. I guess they answered the phone?
    - Love that Rami is kicking ass. To this day, he's my favorite contestant on the show.

Kinda digging it. Not sure if it's a return to form after 2 ridiculous seasons, but it's enjoyable.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

I was just coming over to post in the old PR thread and ask if you and Howard were watching!

Frankly, I'm loving it. The fans over at TWoP and Tom and Lorenzo's blog are loving it too. Everyone is very appreciative of thoughtful judging without the really cruel, snarky remarks from Michael Kors, and everyone's loving that some real craftsmanship is coming down the runway rather than ohhh, you know - the same unfinished crap over and over again, created by a winner who can't even set a sleeve.

As for people like Elisa and Sweet P - they're cannon fodder, every season has them. You have to have a couple of sacrificial lambs in the first couple of episodes, and that's what they were. Elisa was out first, then Sweet P this past episode. And I know, in her season, Sweet P created two really lovely looks - the prom gown challenge, and the challenge where she was paired up with Rami for a couture dress and an off the rack dress that compliments it (she created the off the rack look, and it was adorable). But that's two looks only in her season alone. I think she as asked back because she was so popular - she really is a lovely woman.

Austin won the opera gown challenge!! I was thrilled! I thought they might give it to Michael Costello, who did create a gorgeous gown. But it was an opera gown challenge, and Austin's was opera, whereas Michael's was more red carpet.

I don't miss Tim Gunn, honestly. Old seasons Tim Gunn, yes, but not recent Tim Gunn, where they've reduced him down to just some nice man who comes in, says something encouraging and then leaves. I like Joanna Coles - she gives fairly good critique in the work room. (And don't get me wrong - I LOVE Tim Gunn, but he's been whittled away in recent seasons)

The new host - she needs some work, she's a little wooden, but she'll get there. Heidi was no better in season one, if you remember. And really, I think the judges are great! Isaac's a drama queen, but he's not dismissive and full of the same snarky catch phrases over and over like Kors. The whole panel is just a real breath of fresh air - they're giving good criticism, they're keeping the "oh, I'm so cool and funny" cracks out of it, and they're spot on.
    Last edited by Lisa; 01-14-2012, 06:07 AM.
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

I don't know...I think that Isaac is going to turn into a major pain in the ass before the season ends. He's testing the waters now and will soon go into major LOOK AT ME mode. You wait and see.

Yeah, the new host chic needs work. She lacks the presence and overall ease that Heidi has, but I can see her growing into the role as the season progresses. I won't write her off yet.

I will say this: the judging has been spot on so far. No head scratchers. I personally preferred Michael's dress for episode 2 but really...that was a toss up between him and Austin.

Rami's my guy, though. I want him to win this.
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Did you ever watch "The Fashion Show"? It was Bravo's answer to Project Runway after they lost the show to Lifetime. Isaac was the host, and he was drama'd out, but he was still really good. His co-host the first season was Kelly Rowland from Destiny's Child, and she was dull as hell, so Isaac was really over the top. During the second season, they replaced Kelly Rowland with Iman, who was DRAAAAAMAAAAAAAA!!!! Isaac was like the calm one in that scenario. I like him a lot - even though he tried to murder me in a weird dream I had back in the early 90s.
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

Comment

Another great episode last night.

Thoughts:
          - I agree with the top three and bottom three choices. I disagree on who should have won (Rami's was best) and who should have lost (Austin's was the worst by far...simply ugly), but those are minor issues. Overall, the judging has been spot on.
          - Mila's dress was completely wrong for Miss Piggy, but it was a stunner otherwise. It was very well made retro-goth and I could see it being a top-three dress in another scenario. I'm glad she didn't get ejected for it as, in my opinion, it was a quality piece.
          - Miss Piggy was fun, but you could tell that it wasn't Frank Oz doing the voice. She misses the real edge that only he can provide. Some of the interplay between her and that substitute judge was really forced and scripted, but some of it stuck. 'Hog couture' struck me funny. Her comments to Rami and his dress were great.

Everyone...contestants, judges, and models...got that it was a FUN episode and rolled with it nicely.

Really enjoying this season so far.

Comment

I loved "Hog Couture" and how mad she got at him when he said that! Hah!

It was a great episode, even with the risk of my beloved Austin almost going home (because HONEY, he stunk up the room with that dress, I'm sad to say!). Muppets make everything a little better.

Oh, by the way, I don't remember if it was over at Television Without Pity or Tom and Lorenzo.com, but Mila's new nickname is "The Rain" because she's just such a fucking drag. That cracks me up! It was something like, "and then the rain started... oh, wait, it's just Mila in a confessional."

Comment

If we're looking strictly at overall talent, Austin should have stayed over Gordanna. If we're strictly looking at THAT particular round of dress making, he lost. His was the worst, easily. Ugly and, quite frankly, poorly made. I think that was his one mulligan for the competition.

Comment

Well, I think it's clear by now that the old "we base things on THIS design, not on your over-all body of work - we swear!" claim that they've been making for nine seasons is bullshit. Beacuse yeah, as you point out, if Gordana and Austin both make a shitty dress, it's Gordana who's going home, because Austin will get his shit together next week.

They'll do a "shocking elimination" once in a great while for kicks - and Austin's elimination in his season is the best example of that, allowing the truly atrocious Wendy Pepper to go to the finals. But it was far enough into the season that there was really no harm done - he still got to show at Bryant Park with a decoy collection to throw off the media, and we got a fabulous knock down, drag out fight during the finale from Wendy and Kara Saun for our troubles.

Plus, as usually happens with many of these reality TV competition contestants, the ones who win (with probably the sole exception of Christian Siriano) never wind up with fabulous careers anyway. It's always someone from the final five or four or so who wind up setting the world on fire - and in the case of Season One, it was Austin. Austin wound up as a premeire couture wedding gown designer for a big bridal house, and you never hear a peep out of Jay McCarroll.

Comment

Another good one last night. It was fun watching them in complete HOLY SHIT GOTTA HUSTLE mode, and it really seemed to bring out the best in some designers. Michael deserved the win...he did a smart job of managing his time and producing the right dress to show off his best skills. Very smart.

I don't think that April had the worst dress, but she needed to go. No issues there.

Comment

You know, I had no real issues with April going, because she just wasn't cutting it. But holy damn, how much longer is Jerrell gonna stink up the room? I loved him in his season, but he just needs to go home and take a nap.

Comment

So fucking pissed that Rami got the boot last week. He did NOT deserve to go, but he got unlucky in his pairing and made one bad choice in the color of undershirt. Between the two, Austin should have gone.

Oh well...at least it makes it easier to root for Mondo to win the whole thing.

Comment

Man when Lisa goes on Vacay she GOES ON VACAY MMMMMKAY!
                        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                        X