Boardwalk Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese III View Post
    Also, Nucky's woman is slightly retarded but gotdamn....
    That's model/actress/jack nicholson's ex-girlfriend, Paz de la Huerta. You may recognize her from The Cider House Rules or Choke.

Comment

"I ain't building no bookcase."

AMAZING. Also, Elgin sausage is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Fej View Post
        That's model/actress/jack nicholson's ex-girlfriend, Paz de la Huerta. You may recognize her from The Cider House Rules or Choke.
        While she certainly smolders, as does Jimmy's wife; and while Mrs. Schroeder is certainly demurely cute with her brogue adding a few hotness points; and while Babette has the top hat thing goin' on (I am in 100% agreement w/ Tim on the power of a top hat or tux on a woman = teh hawtness), IMO, Jimmy's mom is the best looking actress on that show. The scene where she confronted Nucky in the pamlmist's shop in ep. 3? SMOKIN'.
        I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Who was the working girl that got cut up? She looked very familiar, but I couldn't place her at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
            Who was the working girl that got cut up? She looked very familiar, but I couldn't place her at all.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Meade

Comment

Fej, a gentleman and scholar.

Comment

So where did you see from, Law & Order or the My Soul To Take trailer?

Comment

Would have to be the My Soul To Take trailer. For some reason I thought I had seen her on some gossip site or something.

Comment

And did anyone notice they did in fact have an appearance by Frank Hague (for Rob: that's the historical figure I mentioned earlier that I was looking forward to seeing)? By all accounts, it was a wildly inaccurate portrayal (I believe Mayor Hague was actually kind of soft spoken, with a trace of the brogue himself), but it gets across the expected Jersey City toughness in a manner a denizen such as myself would find acceptable.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                      That shit was unforgiveable. She was fucking gorgeous.

I hope that weasely fuckface gets set on fire.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

Also, Omar's speech was fucking awesome.

I mean Chalky's.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                          That shit was unforgiveable. She was fucking gorgeous.

I hope that weasely fuckface gets set on fire.
                          I'm quite sure he'll get his. Either Jimmy's gonna unleash all his pent up rage, or Al Capone will get all insane in the membrane on his ass. Whichever, I'm sure it ain't gonna be pretty.

Along these lines, if Lucky Luciano harms the hotnes that is Jimmy's mom, I'm gonna wanna punch my TV.

Comment

Mol Rat better stay her fine burlesque self.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode.

Loved the Celtic Order scene with Mike Shannon dropping that rotund fellow and being a general badass straightedge prick.

I enjoyed the leisurely pace to this episode, as it just made every damning decision that more identifiable and in some cases, that more resonant.

For example: up to this point, I couldn't really make much of Shannon's Agent Van Alden character as little else than a one-dimensional religious zealot with a badge.

Seeing how hard his job is (SO MANY FUCKING FLAG PINS), how much the deck is stacked, and seeing him still giving some small moral victory to the community gave him much more depth than has been shown heretofore.

The same goes with Margaret. With the back and forth of her behavior through different scenes, the frustration of being rebuffed by men in authority (Nucky, Alderman Neary, Van Alden) coupled with her failed attempts to utilize her domestically-derived powers to gain Nucky's favor (baking the soda cake, taking the time of dressing up for her appointment, and finally going to Van Alden and the Temperance Union) allowed for some interesting character growth and a fascinating macroview of how politics of gender functioned in that era. The final scene was telegraphed, but the complexity of that relationship is what makes it engaging to watch it develop.

And of course, as briefly discussed by Van Alden and Margaret, the sad and depleted value of human life when taken in measure with vice and capital was played out in Pearl and Jimmy's case.

That scene where she comes down to the parlor in the brothel, sans bandage, was heartbreaking stuff. Especially her cracked whisper of understanding that in her profession, she was damaged, saying "Who's gonna love me now?" Whether she was in a laudanum-induced haze or not, the inevitable solution was around the bend, and it was made all the more devastating because it was allowed to take the time to reach its conclusion.

The duality of vice in her case, where it was simultaneously the reason and relief from her current predicament did not go unnoticed. And it was all done with a subtlety that is rarely exercised.

Now Jimmy's chasing the dragon alone.

Great episode. Great show. You motherfuckers better recognize.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

Yea, pretty much everything you said...except the show hasn't up and grabbed my by the balls yet. I love the show plenty, but I seem to find myself easily distracted during it. I suspect that by the end of the season the show will have me in its grip.

Comment

Working...
                                X