Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by V View Post
    So...

Remember that season of "Dallas" when it was all a dream?

Nah. Most of you are too young to remember the backlash and fail.

Well, looks like your buddy Mr. Abrams remembered it.

Everything old is new again.

Can we close this thread now?

If you can compare the ending of Dallas to LOST, you're drunker than I am in a school zone.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard View Post
      Finales are all about the emotional attachment (and theoretical character pay-off). Hence, your love of this finale. Just saying.

Wrong. Finales are all about what has come before. Was it earned? Does it make sense? Where does it fit thematically?

The basics of serial entertainment. Your emotional attachment is incidental.
      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

• "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
          If you can compare the ending of Dallas to LOST, you're drunker than I am in a school zone.
          Nah... I'm just stirring shit up, as is my wont.

If you enjoyed it, I'm happy for you.

If not, then I'm sorry it did not work for you.

I'm just meh about the whole thing. It's a show that I tried to enjoy, but could not.

I'll leave it at that.

Still friends?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
            Wrong. Finales are all about what has come before. Was it earned? Does it make sense? Where does it fit thematically?
            That's all part of the character pay-off.

Originally posted by Uncle Ruckus
            The basics of serial entertainment. Your emotional attachment is incidental.
            Agree to disagree then. Serial entertainment is all about the characters. Over the years, you live and breathe their actions. The emotional attachment is (IMO) required. No attachment, no show. I mean, they could write the most awesomeness show ever and if the characters don't draw you in then there is no show.
            We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
            - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
              Nah... I'm just stirring shit up, as is my wont.

If you enjoyed it, I'm happy for you.

If not, then I'm sorry it did not work for you.

I'm just meh about the whole thing. It's a show that I tried to enjoy, but could not.

I'll leave it at that.

Still friends?
              Sure.

Comment

That's all part of the character pay-off.

Agree to disagree then. Serial entertainment is all about the characters. Over the years, you live and breathe their actions. The emotional attachment is (IMO) required. No attachment, no show. I mean, they could write the most awesomeness show ever and if the characters don't draw you in then there is no show.

That's a really basic view.

Comment

• Come on Kael. You have a handful of decent/basic themes (good vs evil, boy meets girl, life and death, rookie becomes veteran). To tie a show to a theme? They all have themes. It's the character work that defines a show and how those characters relate to the central theme. That's the pay-off.
                  We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

Come on Kael. You have a handful of decent/basic themes (good vs evil, boy meets girl, life and death, rookie becomes veteran). To tie a show to a theme? They all have themes. It's the character work that defines a show and how those characters relate to the central theme. That's the pay-off.

We will continue to disagree. Then, I will turn into a smoke monster and throw you against some rocks.

Comment

• Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway...

GO FLYERS!

Comment

• Ehh. I think we're really on the same page. Just going at it from different directions. Still, it wouldn't hurt to divorce your emotional attachment to the characters and analyze this finale again in a few months/years. Better than average? Without a shadow of a doubt. Great? I just don't know. I look forward to picking this conversation back up as I complete my Lost experience. Just might have to pick up what I missing for my month in Arkansas.

Comment

• Dirty pool Jimmy Kimmel...
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                            Dirty pool Jimmy Kimmel...

He got Bob Newhart to appear. He wins at life.

Comment

• SOOOOO AWESOME.

It was going to take some pretty crazy shit for me to be willing to go back and look at this season again and I'll be damned if the last 10 minutes didn't do that for me. Wow. And I don't know what happened, but when Vincent showed up at the end and laid down next to Jack my face got all wet. Weird. LOVED the Sawyer/Juliet and Charlie/Claire reunions. The flashes went a long way to reminding me how great this show was in the early seasons.

I imagine tomorrow I'll come down from the finale high, look at the ENORMOUS pile of questions and plot points that have absolutely no resolution (DHARMA WTF), and get pissed but right now? Going to bed happy.

Comment

• I loved the ending. One of the most satisfying endings I've seen. Vincent lying with Jack got me big time, along with a few other moments.
                                "With all the dick sucking and butt fucking jokes we make, this is the gayest thing ever posted on BDR. Even Howard cringed from behind his laptop playing Gilmore Girls." -BillyG

Comment

Working...
                                X