Unity3d and my adventures with it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity3d and my adventures with it

To keep my mind off of shit (yes I will deal with my life at some point, just not right now) I've decided to learn some programming and Unity3d to go along with my Blender learning in hopes of just having fun learning something I actually want to learn and to also at some point maybe make a stupid mobile game or something that will most certainly star Ceej. To that end I've spent the last 2 days (probably like 14 hours or so) learning how to do basic C# scripts in conjunction with the ins and outs of Unity. I picked some cheap classes on Udemy over the holidays and decided to finally start. My first project was a basic obstacle course in which I learned how to write a script to allow an object be controlled by a person, a quick scoring function (in the console, not on screen yet) and basic hit detection code with some other stuff sprinkled in.

I am having a ton of fun learning this shit right now and again even if this ends up going nowhere it's fun to mess around with this stuff.

Here's a quick video showing what I've done so far.

"Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

I don't play video games like you guys do, but I'll happily download and play a Ceej-centric game from Hughes Interactive Gaming Corporation.

Nicely done, Rob! Keep it up!

Comment

Thanks man. Currently making a little physics lite rocket game. Slowly picking up the coding bits where I can at least get 75% of it right when given projects to try. It's a lot of terms and shit thrown at me but I'm really enjoying it so far. Today's 5 hours of coding allowed me to create a crude level where you have to move a "rocket" from one landing pad to another without crashing. Already thinking about how I swap out the rocket for a Ceej Panda and the landing pad as a bed with "fuel" being McChickens.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Coming Soon from RERB HUGHES INTERACTIVE: The Epic Adventures of Launchpad McLarson and the Pandas From Mars!

I'ma download that game. I'ma download it HARD.

Comment

Still going on the rocket game. Sound effects, success/fail states, and particle systems have been implemented so far. Kinda neat. Should actually have a mini playable game for anyone that wants to try it soon. again, super basic but I'm really enjoying learning this shit.

Comment

Rocket game is finished as this was just to learn some basics. 5 levels. Music and all assets created by me except for the sound effects. If you want to try it, click on this link, extract to your computer, click on the Project Boost.exe file. I promise I won't turn your computer into a botfarm or use it to mine crypto. Should work on Mac/PC but I can't test it on Mac so no guarantees.

Comment

Replaced the google drive link with a link to my itch.io page: HeadcheeseGames - itch.io

Comment

Love the logo, playing the game this weekend! YAY, ROCKETS!

Comment

Hey thanks man! It's real basic and according to Ari hard (fwiw I can beat every level with little to no issue.) But in the end it was a fun project to work on and the next one in the course looks even more fun (on rails shooter like Star Fox).

Comment

Schlonk Valley is being worked on for my next project.

Comment

WOW! Can't wait to see what game that's for! Nice work yet again, Rob!

Comment

Current progress. Super early and rough and 3d gets super confusing but still enjoying the process.

https://imgur.com/a/6h5yFML

Comment

Have almost a full playable demo level but am having a bitch of a time getting some code to work. This is fun but can be frustrating as it's hard to articulate what I'm having troubles with as I'm still learning all of the coding basics. But my ship now shoots lasers, destroys objects, and explodes when it hits something. Baby steps.

Comment

Working...
                          X