No announcement yet.

THE "OMG I AM BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure how many copies you get, but yes you should be able to without an issue.

Comment

Have you had any issues with this? And it does it slow your shit to a crawl when it's backing things up? At the moment for files I'm using my OneDrive and Google Drive but obviously that's not making backups of my whole machine, just certain files. Sorry for all the questions, but I'd rather ask someone who has used it then rely on the marketing team.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I haven't used it in years. My old company used this before they got a proper big colo for the whole company. But everyone I know that uses it loves it, and I am going to start a big rip of my DVD collections and I plan using Backblaze for that backup.

Comment

Ah cool. No worries.

On a different note, you have any suggestions for a decent monitor? Considering my lappy can't output HDR except for streaming video (and I don't care as this machine is strictly for creative pursuits with the occasional game) and my lappy display is 360HZ and can output up to 8K @ 60Hz / 4K @ 120Hz, would something like this be okay?

Or this?

Sorry for all the n00b tech questions but it's been at least a decade since I bought a computer monitor as I always used whatever I could get free from work and my current setup is (don't laugh) a fucking Vizio "HD FULL 1080p SON!" 28 in tv as my second screen for both my work and personal machines for like 6 years.

I obvs don't want to break the bank or anything, and again, I don't really give a shit about INSANE GRAPHIC MODES as nothing will beat my fucking Series X and OLED tv downstairs at the moment, I just want to make sure what I pick up can:

a. be utilized
          b. not be pure shit
          c. big enough to actually see shit clearly as my tv suuuucks for text obvs

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I think I'd MAYBE spend 500 at most on something but would def like something cheaper and I know that you are the resident PC gamer here. I am but a mere console peasant.

"Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

I think either will be nice, but have you also considered a dual monitor setup or you want just one big boy? If you only want a single big one then either should be fine.

Comment

I was shooting for something big enough that it would psuedo function as its own "dual monitor" when windows are side by side. I don't really have the real estate at the moment for a 2 monitor setup and that may be more expensive as well and my lappy only has a single HDMI. I know I could split it or whatever but I've been totally fine with my lappy as one screen and am just looking for another monitor for the second.

Comment

Yeah grab that MSI then

Comment

Sweet, thanks bro. Definitely at the top of the list now.

Comment

Shit man, those monitors you sent me via Twitter are now at the top of the list. Thanks for looking out man.

In more good news, a lady with the thickest accent I've ever heard apparently granted me unlimited internet for an extra 10 bucks a month with even faster speeds this morning. I confirmed I didn't just sign over my kidneys but goddamn man, if you're going to work at a call center, pleeeeeeassssseeeee try to enunciate better. I felt bad because I just had to keep saying "what? I'm sorry I can't understand you...must be my phone." It most certainly was not my phone. I put her on speaker and Lesley and I were just looking at each other like "wtf is she saying?"

It was fucking rough, but unlimited internet with no caps is awesome now. I'd always hit my cap (1.2 TB) near the last week of the month depending on game downloads and how many meetings Lesley and I would have via work, NOW I CAN DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING ALL OF THE TIME

Comment

hah, I could NEVER live without unlimited net especially with us both working from home. Before WFH I was breaking a terabyte half the time. Now I hit close to 2TB easy every month.

Those monitors are legit. When I finally replace my big Dell monitor I am probably going to get that 27" one. Someone I follow was talking about them since they got sent for review and they said for the price you cannot beat them. NZXT makes great shit. I will probably look at them for my next desktop.

Comment

Yeah, I limited myself all the time because I didn't feel like getting hit with extra charges. When I first got my PS5 and XSX I got hit with an extra 100 charge because I had downloaded like 4 tb of shit lol

Comment

Been tweaking my new laptop for the last few weeks to get it to the point I like it. I probably shouldn't have gotten this specific model due to the heat issues (finally got shit set up to only use my GPU with high intensity shit and integrated for everything else and undervolted a bit as well). The form factor (which I didn't care about to begin with) is a huge hit in temp management due to how insane the specs are. Decided to use my old dying lappy as a project to see if I can fix it (ordered some replacement fans and shit off ebay) and bring it back to life and once this new one is paid off, going to be looking into building a tower that is comparable to the new lappy so I'll have the best of both worlds. I basically can't really game on this thing utilizing the full power without it feeling like my hands are going to burn which makes sense considering it's an i9-12900H with 14 cores and a RTX 3070 Ti in a stupid thin form factor. The nice thing is that using this thing for editing and the like is fantastic and if I have a comparable desktop I can easily switch between the two.

Comment

That sucks, but definitely look at possible fan upgrades on that laptop. I know that fans make a huge difference. Even on this Steam Deck most people say replace the fans ASAP.

Comment

Have been tweaking my new lappy for the last few weeks and doing tests and shit and I'm a bit happier with how it's running but learned valuable lessons along the way. I also got all the replacement parts in for my old laptop and going to see if I'm able to get everything working, then do a fresh install of Windows and the like and see about getting that one set up specifically for music production and to take it on the go.

I may sell it too as they are going for decent prices still and if it's fully cleaned up and rearing to go I could make about a grand possibly but more like 7-800.

My new lappy is almost paid off and I'm starting a small fund to build a new desktop when we finally move. Once I have more room a desktop will be needed and then I can take this fucker downstairs and use it when I'm watching Tv and the like.

Comment

Also computer nerds are the worst. It takes forever to find decent info from a non asshole but when you do, it's a blessing. Also, so many opinions that constantly conflict with each other so it's like WHAT DO I PARSE AND WHAT DO I LISTEN TO?

Comment

Working...
                                X