Iggy Horror Thread XI: The Horror of the Inevitable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iggy Horror Thread XI: The Horror of the Inevitable

The kernel for this idea started germinating a little while ago, when I watched "Apollo 18". At one point, it looked as if the astronauts were going to miss theirwindow to successfully leave the moon and come back home to earth. This got me thinking about the prospect facing them, of a slow and inexorable death from suffocation. And that disturbed me. Stuff like that, inevitable stuff, always has.

I'm not talking about things like the impending doom facing the kids in the Final Destination movies. Yes, their deaths appeared certain. But no one could foretell the manner in which their deaths would come, and the kills - contrived & Rube Goldberg as they might be - would be quick. There wouldn't be much time to contemplate the prospect of dying in a particular manner, because it would be so sudden. No, what I'm talking about is a slow, long time in coming and inevitable doom.

I read a short story in some long forgotten anthology years ago, called "The Quest for Blank Claveringi". It was about a scientist specializing in the study of snails, who trvels to a remote island with only a few assistants to hopefully discover a new species. Discover one he does, but they turned out to be the size of small houses, and kill all his traveling companions early on in the story. Not surprisingly, the snails move very slowly, and he can easily outrun them. A few times. After one such, he looks back and thinks the snails seem to be saying: "Escape us a hundred times. Or a thousand. We are relentless,and we will catch up to you eventually". Or words to that effect. That always stuck with me.

This element is present in zombie books and films to a great extent. Well, the Romero rules zombie stories, anyway. In most of thee stories, an ever increasing majority of the world's population has been turned. Nearly 100%, in some of them, like "Day of the Dead". More than anything else, these stories seem to be about how hopeless the protagonists' struggle for survival seems, and how inevitable their doom. It sems like only a matter of time before they too are killed. Or turned. The fact that the zombies themselves are slow moving and easily outrun or overpowered in small numbers seems to add to this tension & fear; "Escape us a hundred times. Or a thousand. We'll still be right behind you", they seem to be saying. I have had recurring nightmares about surviving a zombie apocalypse, and much like Season 2 of "The Walking Dead", the zombies hardly figure into them. I KNOW I'm in the midst of a zombie apoaclypse, and these unidentified people with me are my companions. And there is a sense of "they're gaining on us" fear that prevails as we enter a house, or (once) a school, racing against time to fortify our refuge before the as yet unseen zombies appear. In my opinion, this device is what makes zombie movies so chilling, and it has kept me awake nights much more so than contemplating being eaten alive or turned into a zombie does.

One sees this theme played upon frequently in the slasher subgenre too. Hallloween did it forst - and best - with the unemotional mask of Michael Myers relentlessly walking - never running - after Laurie Strode in the final act. While Jason Voorhees has become a parody of himself over the span of the F13 sequels, the one aspect of the character that is still frightening is the inevitability of his relentless pursuit of the surviviing heroine at the end of whatever sequel you're watching. Even Freddy Krueger, who "lived" - if you can call it that - "only" in the dreams of the Elm Street kids, was as certaiin as gravity. I mean. . . how do you kill an idea? And you've got to sleep some time. . .

I think the reason this device is so effective is because it gets us thinking about our own mortality much more effectively than most other horror does. Think about it: how many of us will meet our ends at the hands of a knife wielding maniac, or an alien, or a flesh eating disease? By contrast, how many of us will die of a slow, wasting age related disease? We all intuitively know this is how we'll most likely meet our end, and the only way we're able to function is to put it out of our minds and get on with the business of living. We repress it, and try as ard as we can not to think about it on a day to day basis.

Inevitable horror throws aside the curtain we've closed over it, and shines a light on it, forcing us to look, and contemplate in a very real sense our own mortality. Most kills, grisly and violent as they may be, HORRIFY rather than terrify. There IS a difference. Gore doesn't leave me lying awake at night. Contemplating the inevitable, slowly approaching & inescapable does.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree with me that this device is as universal as I think it is? Or am I ascribing too much to something I subjectively fear?
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

I'll have to meditate on this one for a bit. Although my first impulse is to agree that it's a pretty universal deal. It's like any time a movie has a scene with someone sealed in a boat/sub/whatever with water filling the chamber and no escape possible I damn near hyperventilate.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

First, glad to see a new horror thread, Iggy!

Next, the Romero zombie analogy is apropos for this subject. The fact that there's more zombies than regular humans, and that they have patience and will ultimately eat (a primal horror in everyone if there ever was one) or turn a protagonist is very harrowing on the surface. You also see that in the Blind Dead films to an extent - no matter what, you know somebody's going to make a noise that'll turn the Blind Dead towards you, and then you're fucked.

It's the anticipation that does it. Sooner or later, everyone dies. Dwelling on the where and when and eventuality is enough to drive one into some damn dark corners, so much so that some folks never get out of that thought process. Death almost becomes a welcome release. There's an allusion to this in the deathly hollows mentioned in the Harry Potter books - the fella that has the Invisibility Cloak that keeps Death from finding him, reaches a point where he's lived so long, he welcomes Death like an old friend. Inevitability births anticipation.

Comment

That ^ made me think about the crushing stress & worry pervading all our lives. Damn near every waking moment, it seems. This vacation I'm on now couldn't have come at a better time. Much like how I'm suppressing thoughts of my own impending demise, I'm trying to suppress the thought that in just a few short days I jump right back into the same old shit with both feet. It's probably not too hard for a filmmaker to get us into the proper mindset, seeing as we're halfway there already.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

I am also reminded that when I ws a kid, The Blob scared the living shit out of me. It moved slowly, but it couldn't be killed. And it could squeeze into anywhere you chose to hide. And it got bigger and more dealy as it killed & absorbed more victims. The best you could hope to do to it was to slow it down by freezing it. Watching the 1988 remake, which has since gone on to become a favorite of mine, was a bit difficult, even though i was 8 at the time. Childhood fears that deeply set are hard to dislodge.

Comment

Know exactly where you're coming from, Ig. Depending on the job I was at, anticipation/worry about an upcoming or in progress project used to give me anxiety attacks like nothing else. I've also noticed as I've gotten older, I've become more obsessive/compulsive about minor shit because my mind starts anticipating worst case scenarios.

I think a lot of this does come from getting older and the experiences that comes with that. The older you get, the closer to death one comes, and your mind starts coming to terms with that in some off-key ways.

Comment

OK, you motherfuckers asked for it! (Well, one of you did, and when you see the thread, you'll know who you are). The kernel for a new thread, a much more (I hope) thought provoking thread, has just been begotten of Facebook rantings. I shall cogitate & marshal my forces, and present it soon.

Comment

Working...
              X