Emboosting Your Wordage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emboosting Your Wordage!

If you're like me, you like to learn several new words daily. But I get a little OCD about it, and try to learn the etymology of certain words.

Such as...

"Kibosh"...

It's usually used as such.

"I was planning to go balls deep on her, but the monthlies put the kibosh to that real fast."

Kibosh meaning "To put and end to, to quash", etc.

However, the origins of this word are somewhat in dispute. The prevailing thought is that the Celtic word "Caidhp Bháis" is the proper origin.

"Caidhp Bháis" means 'black cap", and was a preferred method of execution in ancient Ireland. Boiling tar would be poured onto the head of some poor slob... and you can guess the results. Yes... not very good.

Originally posted by V View Post

and you can guess the results

Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

I always thought "Quash" was an odd word, because it seems like you should say "Squash".
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

This is a very interesting subject. Trying to come up with some words to dissect.

Queue

Comment

"Caidhp Bháis" means 'black cap", and was a preferred method of execution in ancient Ireland. Boiling tar would be poured onto the head of some poor slob... and you can guess the results. Yes... not very good.
          The Indignity of Irish Executions Through The Ages

Ancient Ireland: tarred to death.
          Modern Ireland: taken out to the alley behind a chippie or somewhere and shot in the kneecaps, beaten/left to bleed to death.

The more things change, eh?
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

I gave some thought about the phrase "Blackball". It comes from 1770 and referrs to "Black balls of wood or ivory dropped into an urn during secret ballots." It's exact meaning is "to exclude from a club by adverse votes"

So apparently, people would vote against you using black balls of wood or ivory.

It's also the name of a KMFDM song.
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Pothole

Pot-hole

Pot hole

However its spelled

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                I gave some thought about the phrase "Blackball". It comes from 1770 and referrs to "Black balls of wood or ivory dropped into an urn during secret ballots." It's exact meaning is "to exclude from a club by adverse votes"

So apparently, people would vote against you using black balls of wood or ivory.

It's also the name of a KMFDM song.
                Masons.
                Originally posted by Martin
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Fer reals?

Comment

Yep.

Other phrases derived from Masonry:
                    'On the level'
                    'Give someone the third degree'
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

"First Rate"

Nowadays, it means 'tits', 'the shiznit', top of the line, etc... but it descended from the Royal Navy.

'First Rate' was the designation used by the Royal Navy for its largest ships of the line.

Only one first rate has survived to the present day. HMS Victory, Vice-Admiral Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar, is preserved at HMNB Portsmouth as an active warship still in commission, much like the USS Constitution.

Comment

"First Rate"

Nowadays, it means 'tits', 'the shiznit', top of the line, etc... but it descended from the Royal Navy.

'First Rate' was the designation used by the Royal Navy for its largest ships of the line.

Only one first rate has survived to the present day. HMS Victory, Vice-Admiral Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar, is preserved at HMNB Portsmouth as an active warship still in commission, much like the USS Constitution.
                        History! FanFuckingTastic!

Comment

Working...
                        X