Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked a Siglo Limited Reserve the other day. This was a Cigarfest '10 freebie. It was full bodied, but smooth. It had an earthy core, with a peppery sweetness on the finish. Nice and crisp, but not overly nuanced. Not something I'd seek out, but it made a drive in to the office more enjoyable.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Also, I need to mention this: As I noted earlier, I tried to get tickets to this year's Cigarfest & was unable to do so. I was going to purchase a pair of ticets for my friend Nick and his Dad, too, if I got on. Well the mid & lower tiers are sold for a fixed price. The upper tier is sold at auction. Sky's the limit as far as I know on those. Nick put in some bids, and won tickets for himself, his Dad, me & Potch. He won't tell us what he spent, nor will he take any monry for them. I have to think he's paying $200.00+ apiece for these. I promptly nominated him for God.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Went to the CI store in Bethlehem last night with my friend Nick (a/k/a, Nominated for God because I bought everyone ridiculously expensive Cigarfest tickets). I had a $50.00 gift card someone got me for my birfday, and brought the leftover cash I've been haning on to ($140.00). My intention was to spend the cert + $40.00. But as I put more and more cigars into my basket, I thought: "WTF ELSE am I gonna spend this money on?" All told, I spent $150.00 or so. All new stuff. No doubles. I think I've just about exhausted my wish list, and FILLED my humi more than it's been in years.

While there, I smoked an Ave Maria. New brand causing quite a splash in the industry. Certainly enjoyable. Medium bodied & toasty, with hints of sweetness peeking thru now & again. I think this session didn't do it justice, because we were in the in-store lounge at the time, and the air was full of smoke, which I think interfered with the taste & aroma of the cigar I was smoking. I thought of buying another one, but with Cigarfest '11 coming up, I figured I'd hold off, on the off chance it'll be included in this year's freebies. Overall, I liked it well enough to try it again, but it was hardly the religious experience I had been hping for after reading the reviews in the CI catalog.

Comment

Smoked one of the new CI acquisitions last night. Specifically, I smoked a Graycliff Platinum Limited Edition. An excellent smoke. The draw was a little tight at first, and I was worried it wasn't going to be good. But it opened up nicely after the 1st inch, and had layers of understated earth and somewhat stronger leather at the core, with a nice bite of red pepper. There was a noticeable spicy sweetness on the finish. Reminded me a lot of the Padilla Miami, but was better because it was smoother & more well balanced. Was it worth the hefty $20.00 price tag? Probably not. WOuld I ever get more? Probably not, good as it was. It was damned good, but next to last in the rankings as far as Graycliff's output is concerned (the G2 comes in last). IMO, the Classic, Gran Cru and especially the Crystal are better. If you're gonna fork over Graycliff money, go for one of those.

Edited to add: 1776th Post. Life, Liberty & especially the Pursuit of Happiness clearly involve cigars. This was no mere coincidence!

Comment

Smoked a Free Cuba on the ride into work yesterday. The CI blurb promises a "mild & pleasant but eventful cigar". That's it in a nutshell. Mellow, slightly sweet and creamy, it reminded me a lot, in a good way, of a Sol Cubano Connecticut or a Don Diego. These sell for about a buck a stick (you can get 2 bundles of 25 for $50.00), so if you like mild smokes, these are a great deal.

Comment

Well, the La Perla Rojos arrived yesterday as well as the box of Alta Gracia cigarillos I ordered.

My verdict? Granted, I have not the skill in describing cigars as I do with liquor, but I will try.

If cigars were food, the Rojo would be a steak! Damn, these things are beefy!

The Alta Gracias are also pretty cool... I look like Gaius Baltar when I smoke one!

Many thanks, Ig... you're alright!

Comment

NOthing makes me happier than having someone like a cigar I recommended for them. Except them liking something I cooked for them. Come July, I'll hopefully get to do that as well.

Comment

Smoked a Padilla Dominus on the way to my morning dep. This was a good smoke. I don't think it outshines Padilla's best, like the '68 Commerative or the Obsidian, but it had a nice full body, with a woodsy, leathery core and some notes of sweetness (probably from the maduro wrapper) and white pepper on the finish. Started out a bit too full, almost harsh, but mellowed nicely shortly thereafter. Another winner from Padilla.

Comment

Smoked a Gurkha Assassin OTW in to work this AM. This was a good smoke, but not ranked among Gurkha's best. It was very full, with a woodsy, smoky core. It had notes of black pepper & subdued but hearty spices, with sweetness from the maduro wrapper peeking in from time to time o the finish. One of the most complex smokes I've enjoyed in a long time. Given how full these are, I think Vin would like them a lot. If you get the chance and the scratch, see if you can pick some up on the cheap from Cigarbid.com.

Comment

I shall!

The name alone intriques me.

Comment

Smoked a Gurkha Empire IV on the way back from court this afternoon. Best of that series (there's 6 all told) so far. The draw was a bit tight at the beginning, but it loosened up & became quite serviceable after about an inch. The most striking feature of this smoke was the wrapper. It was a Brazilian Aripiraca maduro. Only the second cigar w/ one of those that I have smoked (the other being the CAO Black VR). It was very reminiscent of the CAO, but was probably better. The opening was full and both the wrapper itself & the smoke were thick & chewy. The wrapper also loaned the smoke a very nice spicy sweet character. I see myself buying more of these.

Comment

I have two more of the Rojas left. When they have disappeared into my lungs, I will get a few of the Assassins you recommended.

Comment

I bought the asassin at a brick &mortar store in Dunellen; not sre they're on CI or CIgarbid. FYI

Comment

I'm almost done smoking a CI Legends Purp;e Label by Graycliff. This is a damned fine smoke. Mellow and efined, it has a floral sweetness and a creaminess to it. A unique smoke. The flora note is more pronounced and tastier than in others with a floral note (Like a Perdomo Golf or a Graycliff Gran Cru) and it's lots cheaper. I recommend it highly, and definitely see myself buying more of these.

Comment

At a party last night, I smoked a San Miguel whilst grilling dinner. This was a great goddam cigar. It was exceptionally smooth & creamy, with a nice cedary sweetness to it, but was satisfyingly medium bodied. No lightweight, this. At least 3 people at the party commented that this cigar had a really nice aroma, and one of them wanted to glom one off me. So sorry, said I. I only brought the one (I only ever bought the one, in fact). But to be honest, even if I'd had more w/ me. . . I would have been loath to share them. Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X