Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to a family friend's home for dessert last night. One of the guys there is a cigar smoker, & I brought my travelin' himidor, so we lit out & lit up for a most pleasant hour or so. I told him all about Cigarbid.com, and soon as we went inside he created an account & bid on 2 auctions. One of them was a new Gurkha blend I hadn't heard of; he said he'd bid on 2, & we'd smoke 'em up when they came in. He texts me this morning to tell me he lost that auction. I noted last night there was another closing tomorrow night, and logged on myself just now to see about bidding on 2 myself. Lo & behold, I note his initials beside the winning bid on FOUR of them now. I logged off, chuckling to myself. I think I've created a monster. His wife's gonna kill me. . . .
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Over my week off in Myrtle, I smoked a cigar every night but one, and all were old favorites except the CAO Osa I smoked Friday night. This is a new blend, and was quite good. It had a mainly earthy core, with almost grassy notes like you'd get from a candela (green leaf) wrapped cigar. Its wrapper was a brown habano - I believe - so I'm not sure where the grassy notes come from. But they certainly were not unpleasant. Quite the contrary. A mellow mild to medium bodied smoke, it had a very long finish w/ notes of sweet mellow spice reminiscent of a Don Diego or a Sol Cubano Connecticut, but a bit fainter. A nice close indeed to a fine smoking experience.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• I converted a $100.00 bill mom gave me for X-mas into 10 Gurkha Titans, 10 Gurkha Blue Steels, and 5 Gurkha Widowmaker Maduros. Jesus, I'll be smoking nothin' but Gurkhas for MONTHS.

Comment

• Gurkha Rules! Especially in Iggy's case!

Comment

• [Rubs Hands in Anticipation]

Comment

• I had a Gurkha once. It was fairly marvelous, as I recall.

Comment

• Gurkha has more blends than you can shake a stick at, because Kaizad Hansotia (the owner) has a penchant for buying small, limited runs of tobaccos that he could never get more of, & releasing limited editions. Their high price tag ensures they stay around awhile in most cases, so if you're patient you can pick them up cheap (like I did) from CI or Cigarbid.com. Do you by any chance recall what blend it was?

Comment

• Nope. I usually bought Ashton Maduros at the time. I think the Gurkha was a "guy at the shop recommendation" on a lazy Friday night.

It's been a while since I had a good cigar. I bought one last month to celebrate the birth of my first grandchild, but had little context with which to judge it. Nowhere within 50 miles of here handles real cigars.

Comment

• Herein lies your solution:

http://www.cigarbid.com or http://cigarsintl.com . Armed w/ the info in this thread (& its DERP based predecessor if you care to dig), the way will present itself, Grasshopper.

Comment

• Smoking a Gurkha Widowmaker Maduro right now. Marvelous. Medium-full in body, but a nice mellow flvor profile. Notes of mild coffee, dark chocolate, earth & sweet spice wash over your palate in waves, pretty much in that order. A very complex cigar, made all the sweeter b/c I scored 5 of these (which normally retail for $15.00 apiece, even at CI) for $39.95, & they threw in 10 Blue Steels fo' free. I think the eal got extended, and I'd urge all to take advantage.

Comment

• Smoked a San Lotano Maduro last night. I go this as a 2011 Cigarfest freebie. Wasn't too thrilled, b/c the label looks cheesy as fuck, and I thought it was some no name bargain brand. A few months ago, I got a Cigar.com catalog that indicates these are in fact a new blend from industry wunderkind AJ Fernandez. So now I was intrigued. This turned out to be a pretty good smoke. Medium-full in strength, with strong notes of coffee & slightly fainter notes of sweetness & spice. Not a favorite by any means (the coffee notes were just a little toos trong), but well worth the time. A sister, the San Lotano "Oval" was voted one of Cigar Journal's top 25 cigars for 2011. A Habano was included in the Cigarfes freebies as well, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Comment

• Had to get up at 4:30 AM to do it, but secured tickets for me & Potch to go to the 2012 Cigarfest on 5/5/12. Another huge pile of freebies, hopefully a goodly amount of booze & cigar related swag awaits! Iggy's Mobile Smoking Lounge will again be in full effect! I may actually get up the ambition to make up the banner this year.

Comment

• Smoked a Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo last night. I had been putting this off for a long time because I was afraid it'd be way too full for my taste. Make no mistake, it was very full, but also very smooth, and really, really spicy. I like spicy smokes, so this appealed to me a great deal. Another impressive, economically priced blend from Victor Sinclair. Good show.

Comment

• Smoked a Don Rafael yesterday while typing up some dep summaries. I had been looking forward to thi for awhile, because CI talks them up something fierce in their catalog. hey've also been running a 2-fer, seling 2 bundles of 25 for the price of 1 for years. Customer comments also seemed to be favorable. But in truth, I was a little disappointed. It was a decent mild bodied smoke, & had some pleasant flavors going on, But nothing about it really intrigued me. Maybe a faint hint of sweetness, and some toasty characterisitcs. But one could do a lot beter on the mild front, w/ a Don Diego, Sol Cubano CT, or a Victor Sinclair CT. Which is ind of ironic, since Victor Sinclair makes these. And w/ CI's prices on a box of 30 of those being comparable to the Don Rafael 2 fer, you might as well go w/ those, IMO.

Comment

• Smoked a La Reloba Sumatra last night. This was a lower priced brand from Don Pepin Garcia. Honestly, I haven't been thrilled by any of the 5 Don Pepin blends I've tried except the 5 Vegas Miami. And this one fit the general pattern. It was OK, I guess, some spice & (particularly in the opening) a faint trace of sweetness. But not really pleasant tasting at all. Bold, firecracker smokes seem to e the order of his day. I just bought a Series JJ, and I am very hopeful that it'll be worthwhile, so much did I love the 5 Vegas Miami. Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X