Fun Fact!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Fact!

I enjoy random facts about history and culture. Here are just a few. (I'm currently researching a massive New York City history project, so these are all New York City themed).

-- The Bowery is the oldest thoroughfare in New York City, dating back to Lenape settlements on Manhattan Island.

--Clement Moore, who wrote "A Visit from St. Nicholas," was born in Chelsea. Also in Chelsea: the piers which served as one of the major trans-Atlantic ports (survivors from the Titanic were brought there), and the McBurney YMCA, which was the inspiration for the song of the same name.

What are some fun facts you have learned recently?

The Port of Los Angeles was originally meant for Santa Monica.
    Last edited by Ed Hocken; 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM.
    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

That Goldfinger's voice is dubbed. I just thought it was bad ADR in some scenes.

Also, I just realized that this is for history and facts.

So a fun fact:

In Connorsville, Wisconsin no man shall shoot off a gun while his female partner is having a sexual orgasm.

I want to go back in time to see the first person that did this that caused it to be illegal.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

That Oliver Stone wrote Scarface while going through cocaine withdrawl.

Comment

Yeah, I just heard about that not too long ago as well. (goldfinger)
          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            In Connorsville, Wisconsin no man shall shoot off a gun while his female partner is having a sexual orgasm.

I want to go back in time to see the first person that did this that caused it to be illegal.
            Maybe it was put on the books because the medaphor was too obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by EdHocken View Post
              Maybe it was put on the books because the medaphor was too obvious?
              Medaphor?
              The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

hahahah

oh snapage
                Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Sorry, Metaphor.

As for another fact,

Had Stephen Fry's father made one different decision, Fry would have been born in New Jersey.

Comment

It snowed in the Sahara desert on February 18, 1979. I want to know how the fuck that was possible. I say aliens.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Just because it's a desert doesn't necessarily mean it's always hot as shit. Although it is the Sahara.

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Had Gerald Ford not been adopted, we would have had a President King as in President Leslie King.

Much in the same way had Bill Clinton not changed his name, we would have had President Blythe.

Also, the Back to the Future people really wanted Ronald Reagan to play the mayor of 1885 Hill Valley.
                          Last edited by Ed Hocken; 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BudLeonard View Post
                            I enjoy random facts about history and culture. Here are just a few. (I'm currently researching a massive New York City history project, so these are all New York City themed).

-- The Bowery is the oldest thoroughfare in New York City, dating back to Lenape settlements on Manhattan Island.

--Clement Moore, who wrote "A Visit from St. Nicholas," was born in Chelsea. Also in Chelsea: the piers which served as one of the major trans-Atlantic ports (survivors from the Titanic were brought there), and the McBurney YMCA, which was the inspiration for the song of the same name.

What are some fun facts you have learned recently?
                            Chelsea stuff is very interesting. Went there in June with my wife ( the Chelsea Market, a type of Mecca for foodies I guess)...she loved it. Didn't realize the fact about the piers, very interesting.
                            Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

More New York fun facts!

The name Manhattan is traditionally thought to mean "island of many hills." This is the translation of Manhattan in the Lenape language. However, the Lenape themselves called the island "Manahachtanienk." This is not Lenape. This is the Delaware language, and it means "the island where we all became intoxicated."

The first immigrant to pass through Ellis Island was Annie Moore, an Irish immigrant from County Cork who arrived on her 15th birthday.
                              Last edited by BudLeonard; 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X