No announcement yet.

Geek things you don't get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My former roomate had every Dragonball Z episode on disc (Thank you Kazaa). Towards the end, he also got into Naruto.
    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Urotsukidoji. Yes, I remember those as well. Fucked up but garbage, in my opinion.

Also, what's the appeal of Hentai? Oh, look...a cartoon girl is getting tentacle fucked up the ass.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by EdHocken View Post
        My former roomate had every Dragonball Z episode on disc (Thank you Kazaa). Towards the end, he also got into Naruto.

Oh Ceej. Although, that Naruto game for the PS3 was fucking insanely awesome. I'll give it that.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Judas Booth View Post
          Urotsukidoji. Yes, I remember those as well. Fucked up but garbage, in my opinion.

Also, what's the appeal of Hentai? Oh, look...a cartoon girl is getting tentacle fucked up the ass.
          Oh, I'm not saying they are good...not at all. But when a movie (and i've talked about this on the cast) can animate Hitler to look even more evil and there is a nazi death rape machine, well that's just something you have to see. At least once. So fucking messed up. I'd like to thank the underpaid employees of Video Update back in the day for allowing me to rent that.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Originally posted by Hbarr View Post
            Really? Watched this again last night. I'm resigned to the fact that apparantly comic book nerds are so desparate for tits, sex, violence, blood/gore that they will champion piece of shit writing. Probably the only thing I can take away from the writing is that Moore hates America and gay people.

Virtually nothing story-wise drew me in (visually stunning, yes). Characters? For the most part left me cold. Perhaps I would have been more drawn into the story if I felt the world being saved was worth being saved. One solution to that problem? Don't tell the story from Rorschach's POV. Probably one of the most miserable characters I have ever watched. Him getting killed by Dr. Manhattan was a charitable act.

One more time. The movie isn't the book.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Convince me. The movie was an adaptation from the comic. Nothing I have seen in the movie compels me to seek out the GN (and it all came from the comic, right?). What is missing that would draw me in? Are the hate America and gay people themes non-existent in the book?

Really, I want to believe.
              We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
              - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Convince me. The movie was an adaptation from the comic. Nothing I have seen in the movie compels me to seek out the GN (and it all came from the comic, right?). What is missing that would draw me in? Are the hate America and gay people themes non-existent in the book?

Really, I want to believe.

The book was a look at how the superhero would influence a geo-political event such as The Cold War. By using old Charlton Comics analogues, Moore and Gibbons wanted to examine what happens when you give a Batman or a Black Canary figure feet of clay.

The violence in the movie is really nowhere to be found in the book. Neither are a lot of the off the wall musical choices or overt sexuality. Music and sex are there, but not to that extreme.

Plus, it's less of an ensemble piece in the comic than the film. Rorschach's narrative is still the main venue, as Doc M takes over more than once.

Hell, if you thought Snyder took liberties with Watchmen...go back and read 300.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

*golf clap*

Comment

Ok. My interest is a little more piqued. When I'm in the book store again, I'll browse a copy (won't commit to buying it yet). Horrible taste in mouth from movie. Probably one of the coldest movies I have seen in a long time. Completely dispassionate. There's the #1 reason it didn't connect with the regular moviegoer (IMO).
                    We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

Ok. My interest is a little more piqued. When I'm in the book store again, I'll browse a copy (won't commit to buying it yet). Horrible taste in mouth from movie. Probably one of the coldest movies I have seen in a long time. Completely dispassionate. There's the #1 reason it didn't connect with the regular moviegoer (IMO).

It didn't connect with the regular moviegoer for the same reason it took 22 years to adapt.

It's not an easy work. What's great about the film is that it's this over-the-top version of the original work. It still keeps some of the themes, while making it even more of this bizarre time capsule.

But, it's not the book. Same thing goes for 300. Which is more surprising since 300 can easily be done as a straight adaptation without making up roles and forcing in women.

Comment

I still think Sin City is one of the better comic to movie films. But I also know alot of people can't stand that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                          I still think Sin City is one of the better comic to movie films. But I also know alot of people can't stand that movie.

The one thing that still bugs me about Sin City is Jessica Alba. She didn't get the character and she got Rodriguez to redesign it to suit her.

You should never cater to an actor...ever.

Comment

I did not care for 'Sin City' at all. Talk about COLD? Ugh.
                            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

I can forgive many things in a comic book adaptation to screen (powers/origin/costume/etc); however, the theme(s) have to carry from comic to movie. Which is probably why I like the Spiderman films best.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULINE KAEL View Post
                                The one thing that still bugs me about Sin City is Jessica Alba. She didn't get the character and she got Rodriguez to redesign it to suit her.

You should never cater to an actor...ever.
                                Totally agree. Her Nancy was off fucking base.

Originally posted by Judas Booth View Post
                                I did not care for 'Sin City' at all. Talk about COLD? Ugh.
                                I almost look at it as an animated feature. Being as I grew up with the books (helped open my eyes to comics that didn't feature men in tights) I fucking adored what Rodriguez was able to accomplish with so little. Watching the behind the scenes stuff was fucking amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X