Avengers Assemble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
    Mike's in the right mindset, but he's wrong on execution. It isn't Super Friends at all. Maybe 20 years ago and maybe with people over 50.

The most wildly recognized superhero in North America remains Spider-Man. Kids under 12 (the target audience) can spot Spidey at a 3 to 1 ratio over Bats, Supes and yes Wolverine.

The reason why Iron Man features so prominently is two-fold. One it's the biggest grosser and 2...plot driven.

Which one of the bunch has more time spent with Nick Fury and SHIELD? Which one has been tasked with bringing together outside elements? Which one is the most sociable of the bunch?
    I didn't say individual super hero, I said super hero TEAM. Big difference. NO ONE KNOWS WHO THE AVENGERS ARE.
    <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

• I KNOW THE AVENGERS.
      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard View Post
        I KNOW THE AVENGERS.
        And you are in fact a someone, my adoptive son. But you get what I mean. Mainstream USA doesn't think of superhero teams, just individuals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
          hahaha, this thread is degenerating into "WHAT IS YOUR NiN WALKOUT SONG?" Mine would be Right Where It Belongs or possibly "Perfect Drug".

EDIT ADDED CORRECT SHAME-INDUCING VIDEO
          * VIDEO LINK FOR BILLY'S BENEFIT
          I'm going with Head Like a Hole Just because
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard View Post
            I KNOW THE AVENGERS.
            Avengers are one of MANY tpb's on my Christmas list. Maybe I will get to know them over the holidays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
              I didn't say individual super hero, I said super hero TEAM. Big difference. NO ONE KNOWS WHO THE AVENGERS ARE.

Here's the thing. In terms of marketing, it's all the same. A significant chunk of the North American population doesn't know who the Avengers are, but they don't know who the Super Friends are EITHER!

The last 11 years of comic penetration has been based on singular heroes outside of the X-teams.

But, that doesn't matter. You have two key demos that drive this shit that have full saturation of the material at hand. Kids under 12 and fans over 21. The mainstream understanding or even recognizing the characters is secondary.

Fuck, if your argument held up...everything Marvel has done would've flopped.
              My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

The most wildly recognized superhero in North America remains Spider-Man. Kids under 12 (the target audience) can spot Spidey at a 3 to 1 ratio over Bats, Supes and yes Wolverine.
                Not Batman? That's surprising!
                Originally posted by Ari
                The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Yeah, that's crazy. I thought for sure Batman would be more widely known.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
                    Not Batman? That's surprising!

Batman's recognition spikes with people over the age of 16 before any other hero.

Which is weird, since it's such a startling reversal of 1989-2000.
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

• Originally posted by Abe Smashington View Post
                      Yeah, that's crazy. I thought for sure Batman would be more widely known.

What's even crazier is how many anime/cartoon characters get recognized before the most mainstream of stuff.

Comment

• Nothing wrong with playing up your biggest asset (Downey) in the first trailer. But it's obvious Hulk got downplayed because the general public doesn't give a shit about that character after two expensive solo flicks under-performed.
                        Originally posted by Ari
                        The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

Here's the thing. In terms of marketing, it's all the same. A significant chunk of the North American population doesn't know who the Avengers are, but they don't know who the Super Friends are EITHER!

The last 11 years of comic penetration has been based on singular heroes outside of the X-teams.

But, that doesn't matter. You have two key demos that drive this shit that have full saturation of the material at hand. Kids under 12 and fans over 21. The mainstream understanding or even recognizing the characters is secondary.

Fuck, if your argument held up...everything Marvel has done would've flopped.
                          I am only making the argument about a TEAM vs INDIVIDUAL, and how all of the marketing will focus on Iron Man because he is the most recognizable INDIVIDUAL in the group. They did this with every X-Man movie by making Wolverine the focus (Fox I know, but bear with me). Every other Marvel movie was about individual heroes.

There isn't a single team that is recognizable. The only reason people recognized X-Men was due to Wolverine, and once they got past the first movie, the promise of seeing Wolverine again. I would argue that out of all of the Marvel-only offerings, only Iron Man has been a runaway success.

Which leads me back to "they aren't sure how to market it". They are using the same strategy used for X-Men, but with a less likeable hero. My opinion is that this indicates they know the troubles they will have getting buzz on this flick in the mainstream.

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
                            Nothing wrong with playing up your biggest asset (Downey) in the first trailer. But it's obvious Hulk got downplayed because the general public doesn't give a shit about that character after two expensive solo flicks under-performed.
                            I think that has got to do more with the f/x. Kids fucking LOVE Hulk. All my friends with kids have costumes and toys for three heroes, Batman, Iron Man, Hulk.

Comment

• I love both Hulk flicks.

Seriously, Norton Hulk > Iron Man
                              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Looks fun. I'm there.
                                Originally posted by Martin
                                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                                Originally posted by gravedigger
                                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                                Originally posted by Martin
                                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Working...
                                X