• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this was FUN.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    Originally posted by Martin
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
      Maybe Bobby will have another on his side after Russ sees it...
      Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
      DOHOHOHOHOHO

That boy is headed for the leper colony in a kayak.
      Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
      haha, I respect his opinion, I just think it's funny. Then again, I'm the champion of brainless fun blockbuster flicks apparently. I like to have fun when I watch movies.
      Gentlemen, I like fun, too! I enjoyed the movie (and I definitely didn't think it was brainless!) I just don't think it deserves the monumental gushing of the last few weeks. People who are perhaps closer to the characters or more forgiving of action/superhero fare in general are better placed to enjoy the movie than someone like myself.

It's not like I didn't want to love it. I just couldn't latch on to it the way I could with more focused, character driven blockbusters like the first two Spideys and the original Iron Man.

Not to go all Joe Cabot on you guys, but I know we all like to goof around and tell jokes and bust chops here, but I enjoy a good brainless fun blockbuster as much as the next guy. A good brainless blockbuster. Your Independence Days, your Con Airs, your G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobras. The Avengers isn't even in the same league as those movies, and I'd hate to think I come across as a killjoy just because I felt the flick didn't deserve such extreme hype.

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      Also: the Shield helicarrier makes me want a ROBOTECH movie more and more. I see that helicarrier and I can totally envision the SDF-1 in action.
      I'm right there with you, Sir Matt. As long as there's nary a hint of Bay or Bay-ness about it.
      "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I thought Avengers was better than all three of your examples and I love those movies
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I don't get the complaints on the plot. I've read them in a few places. Loki is a bad dude. He wanted to do bad shit. He chose his brother's beloved planet to do the bad shit on so he can be an even badder dude. Conflict created, justified, and resolved.

Comment

I thought Avengers was better than all three of your examples and I love those movies
            It is better than them, and I feel exactly the same (when I said The Avengers isn't in the same bracket as those other movies, I meant it was better than them.) I have no problem with a movie being just a brainless fun blockbuster, despite what my sometimes cynical posts might indicate. So long as those brainless blockbusters remember to actually be fun.

Like I said, The Avengers is a cut above that bracket, even though it's far from Joss' best work. I just didn't want to be misrepresented as some sort of anti-fun movie curmudgeon, which I'm definitely not. I mean, come on, how can anyone who loves From Beyond as much as I do be anti-fun?

E.T.A. Billy, your point addressed part of the problem for me. It's all about how that's handled, not the simplicity of what goes into the pot.
            Last edited by Bobby Bear; 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM.
            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• So wait.... Avengers is better than Independence Days, Con Air, AND G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra by your own admission but doesn't deserve gushing and hype?

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Well Joe did have Rachel Nichols...

Comment

• Guys I think Bobby's trying to create an international incident.

"Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I thought Avengers was better than all three of your examples and I love those movies
                    Yeah, I -
                    Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                    It is better than them, and I feel exactly the same (when I said The Avengers isn't in the same bracket as those other movies, I meant it was better than them.)
                    Oh. Well, in that -
                    Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                    So wait.... Avengers is better than Independence Days, Con Air, AND G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra by your own admission but doesn't deserve gushing and hype?

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?
                    No, B said it.
                    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                      So wait.... Avengers is better than Independence Days, Con Air, AND G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra by your own admission but doesn't deserve gushing and hype?
                      Not that much hype!

Comment

• hype shmype

"Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• The Avengers lacks drunk-hillbilly Randy Quaid though!
                          Originally posted by Ari
                          The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Can't argue with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                              Not that much hype!
                              Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                              hype shmype

IT DESERVES ALL OF THE HYPES EVER!!!!

Comment

• Oh, what a shock!

Comment

Working...
                                X