New movies undeserving of their own thread 2: The Night It Came Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matt View Post

I can't fucking wait to hear what you think of it. So far, it's my favorite movie of the year.
    Whaaaaaaat. In a non-ironic way?
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Yeah, I mean that looks fucking stupid as balls in a fun way but seems like I'll just be laughing at it and not with it (which again, I'm fine by). I mean, if I'm gonna watch a long ass Indian flick with subtitles I need to know if I need to bother with the story here or just watch the super silly over the top nonsense on a second screen
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I'm legit in my praise of the film. The trailer makes it look like something goofier than it actually is...it's actually a fairly earnest and engaging story, it's just told in a totally awesome way.

Give it a try. Give it a half hour and if you're not engaged by the story, turn it off.

From a high level: It's in India with the British still in power. A British commander (Ray Stevenson!) and his wife (Allison Doody! Ilsa from LAST CRUSADE!) take a girl against her will from an Indian village. The 'protector' of the village goes after her (he's the guy fighting the tiger in the trailer). Meanwhile, there's another Indian in the police who is trying to prove that he's better than anyone else regardless of race. He singlehandedly holds off an angry mob at a police station and earns some notice from his superiors. However, he STILL gets passed over for promotion.

In Delhi, word gets out that this protector is coming for the girl. Nobody knows who he is, though. A bounty is put on his head and the cop accepts the challenge and starts looking for him. There's an unrelated train accident that happens where both the protector and the cop are present. As they are the only two people present to take any action, they end up working together to save a child and a fast friendship is formed between the two of them.

That's the first 40 minutes or so.

You probably saw that scene in the trailer of the guy yelling at the tiger and thought this looked goofy. I did too. But then I had a ton of people say that the film is fucking awesome so I gave it a go. That tiger scene plays a LOT better within the movie as it's part of a pretty epic action sequence that happens early on.

Give it a go. Trust me.
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Let me put it this way: the film is the most expensive Indian movie ever made and it still made a huge profit. I remember it playing at the AMC by me on two screens, one in Hindi and one in Telugu. I'm pretty sure they even put it in the Prime theater for one week. We get a big Indian crowd here at my theater and it did huge business while it was here for a month (this was back in March) and I heard it was great. I considered going to see it but opted not to. I regret that. As of now, I think it's the 2nd or 3rd highest grossing film ever in India.
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• You're not the first one to mention it. I just couldn't tell if this was going to be a "hahahah look at this stupid shit" or "Oh shit look at this awesome shit." I'll give it a go.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
              You're not the first one to mention it. I just couldn't tell if this was going to be a "hahahah look at this stupid shit" or "Oh shit look at this awesome shit." I'll give it a go.
              Most definitely the latter.

Comment

• Ok I’ll try

Comment

• Let me put it this way: so far, THIS is the most invigorating action sequence I've seen this year, and this is just a dance scene.

Comment

• Beast. This looks derivative as fuck BUT I do enjoy a good human vs. animal flick.

Comment

• Idris punching a lion? I'm in.
                      Reminds me: THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS is an underrated movie.

Comment

• Dammit, I already want to watch RRR again. It may just be sliding into my all time top 20.

Comment

Idris punching a lion? I'm in.
                          Reminds me: THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS is an underrated movie.
                          Kilmer is great.

Comment

Let me put it this way: so far, THIS is the most invigorating action sequence I've seen this year, and this is just a dance scene.

I just saw that it’s from the director of Eega.

SOLD
                            SOLD
                            SOLD

Comment

• just read the premise of Eega. Holy shit, I'm looking for that one.

I can't wait for some of you to watch this and give me your feedback.
                              Also: if you're concerned about the typical Indian dance numbers that are always present in these movies, don't worry. You've got the one that I linked above at about the one hour mark (and it's fucking awesome) and then you've got one right at the end which is a celebration of all things India...and it's fantastic.

Comment

• Eaga is seriously one of the best movie I’ve ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X