No announcement yet.

Pacific Rim aka the Mecha vs Godzilla Fap Fap Thread. SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3D is excellent. Goes to show that a really great technical director can not only make it work for the film, but use it to enhance the experience.

I only loved the actual film in parts, but it sure is gorgeous and the Hong Kong sequence is arguably the set-piece of the summer.
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• It was....okay.

First the good: Every single fucking fight scene was aces. Everything with Charlie from It's Always Sunny was aces. Everything with Pearlman was aces. The first 15 mins was aces. The last battle was aces. The Hong Kong sequence was amazing. The 3d was killer.

The bad: Everything else. Charlie Hunamm was just playing Jax from Sons, Knives Chau (don't remember her name she was that bad) was fucking annoying, Stringer Bell couldn't even give a rousing speech (it's bad when Bill Pullman is more convincing), the story beats were so eh that it felt like we've seen this movie a thousand times before (because we have)

When I purchase this it will be to only fast foward to the set pieces because everything else I didn't give one shit about.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Jen and I just got back from watching it - kind of agree with what Rob said. Lots of the story beats felt bolted on and there were as many clichés as there were robot/monster punches. I liked the actors fine, but could give less than a shit as to who they were playing and what their stories were.

The fights were great; big, slow, ponderous pummelings as befits such creatures of enormous size. If you're a fan of mecha and/or kaiju flicks, you'll be sportin' wood during those scenes.

Here's hoping for a sequel!

Comment

• But i do hope it makes a lot of money for Del Toro. I wouldn't mind a sequel to fix the issues. My biggest problems were the casting.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Just saw this today. I enjoyed it but some crazy stupid stuff does take some of the awesomeness away from the action.

So we have a giant robot that is Analogue? ummm seriously If they had a true analogue robot it would be made of wood and powered by positive thinking.

I also love how the robot has a giant sword but they only use it after they are gettin owned by some monsters.... hey might want to lead with the sword guys.... we cant all punch like superman all the time.
            You totally killed us, you evil metal dickweeds! - Bill S. Preston

Comment

• exactly. That sword should have been used EACH TIME. Unless there is some weird RPG cool down that is active.

Comment

• And yet I have everyone take a shit on my face at the suggestion that I wasn't camped outside the theatre 2 weeks early furiously masturbating onto the ticket booth

Nerds be nerdin'
                XBL/PSN/Steam Gamertag - CalgaryRonin

Comment

• Rule of cool, motherfuckers. You don't lead with your awesome finishing move. This ain't God of War, son! You gotta work for your moment of awesome in your giant robot!
                  sigpic
                  360: JohnnyChopsocky PSN: Stud_Beefpile

Comment

• Originally posted by Trejo View Post
                    And yet I have everyone take a shit on my face at the suggestion that I wasn't camped outside the theatre 2 weeks early furiously masturbating onto the ticket booth

Nerds be nerdin'
                    Oh for sure (egg on my face) but I was nerding to the shots of the fights and those are the only decent parts of the entire movie. The human shit doesn't click AT ALL.

Transformers had more realistic humans.

Comment

• Also, I nominate Charlie Kelly for Rick Moranis's role in the remake of Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

Comment

• Like, I honestly don't know the names of anyone in the movie. But I know the robot names.

Comment

• It was just Jax, Stringer Bell, Knives Chau, Clay, and Charlie.

Comment

• I like that the only person you named, you named their TV show character and not their real name haha. But yes Charlie Day needs to be in a lot more shit
                            XBL/PSN/Steam Gamertag - CalgaryRonin

Comment

• haha, yeah he does. he's always the bright spot.

Comment

• I kind of want Charlie Day's kaiju tattoos.

Comment

Working...
                                X