No announcement yet.

John Carter (of Mars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping that John Carter can bounce back and we get at least another flick or two out of the franchise, however unlikely that'll be. Regardless, add me to the chorus that the marketing for this flick was for shit, and they definitely should've taken a page from Lucas in that regard.

Calling the film "John Carter of Mars", emphasizing the fact that JC predates and in some way inspired films like Star Wars, Avatar, etc. very early on in the trailers and marketing push, and streamlining the film a bit would've done wonders, IMHO.

Like Anderson said, Lucas is a hell of a businessman when it comes to his films, but any artistic credibility died a screaming death many, many moons ago. Dude doesn't just have "Fuck you" money, he's got "Fuck EVERYBODY" money at this point, and it keeps rolling in with all the Star Wars stuff out in the marketplace. I had that kind of scratch, I'd probably be a dickhead, too.

Comment

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/john-...t-trailer.html

How the marketing went bad

Comment

poor bastard.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I actually kinda liked the first trailer. Then again, I knew the property and knew what I was watching. I can see how it would have been baffling to people unfamiliar with the story. The use of KASHMIR in the next trailer was the biggest mistake, in my opinion. People stopped being engaged in what they were watching and started asking themselves 'is that fucking Kashmir????' and snickering.

Looking forward to reading that article later on.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Damn sad story. I agree, though, that JC isn't as well known a property as the ones they named in the article, and that Stanton wasn't really used to live action film making vs. animation. Much as I hope to see at least the next two books made as sequels to wrap up the main trilogy of stories, I'd be very, very surprised to see them happen at all.

ETA: Matt raised a good point re: music for the trailers. Goes back to what I said elsewhere, music can help make or break interest in a trailer. Throwing Zeppelin in an action/adventure story set post Civil War throws the whole theme off. Better if they'd gone for some dramatic instrumental music instead of a rock hit damn near everyone knows.
            Last edited by Timothy225; 03-14-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Word.

That first trailer worked well.

And then the pre-Godzilla Era Page riff kicked in on the second one, and all I could think about was Sean Combs rapping like a drunk white girl to a giant iguana in Manhattan.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                Word.

And then the pre-Godzilla Era Page riff kicked in on the second one, and all I could think about was Sean Combs rapping like a drunk white girl to a giant iguana in Manhattan.
                This.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                  I'm hoping that John Carter can bounce back and we get at least another flick or two out of the franchise, however unlikely that'll be. Regardless, add me to the chorus that the marketing for this flick was for shit, and they definitely should've taken a page from Lucas in that regard.

Calling the film "John Carter of Mars", emphasizing the fact that JC predates and in some way inspired films like Star Wars, Avatar, etc. very early on in the trailers and marketing push, and streamlining the film a bit would've done wonders, IMHO.

Like Anderson said, Lucas is a hell of a businessman when it comes to his films, but any artistic credibility died a screaming death many, many moons ago. Dude doesn't just have "Fuck you" money, he's got "Fuck EVERYBODY" money at this point, and it keeps rolling in with all the Star Wars stuff out in the marketplace. I had that kind of scratch, I'd probably be a dickhead, too.

John Carter's all but dead at this point. Right now, Disney is trying to figure out how to spin it into a point where they can make the cash back on international and home video.
                  My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Damn shame. Would've loved to check out more Barsoom hijinks and stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                      Damn sad story. I agree, though, that JC isn't as well known a property as the ones they named in the article, and that Stanton wasn't really used to live action film making vs. animation. Much as I hope to see at least the next two books made as sequels to wrap up the main trilogy of stories, I'd be very, very surprised to see them happen at all.

ETA: Matt raised a good point re: music for the trailers. Goes back to what I said elsewhere, music can help make or break interest in a trailer. Throwing Zeppelin in an action/adventure story set post Civil War throws the whole theme off. Better if they'd gone for some dramatic instrumental music instead of a rock hit damn near everyone knows.
                      Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                      Word.

I REAAAAALLLLY hate to agree with both of you but in this particular case it's totally true. Kashmir hit and I was like "really? ya'll REALLY wanna go there after that first trailer?"

For what it's worth I kind of like the first trailer but not having any action shots kind of hurt it a bit. Everything that came after it was just......
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• So, you agree with ME then too.
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                          So, you agree with ME then too.

"Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• It's official, JC bombed like a mofo. Lost $200 million - I can only imagine the teeth-gnashing and angar men going pantsless at Disney right now.

Comment

• But it's not critically panned. It's actually pretty average in terms of critical praise with many fans and critics actively loving and supporting it.

Comment

• reviews don't mean anything when you're looking at a loss of 200 million I would think.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X