RUMOR CONTROL...THESE ARE THE FACTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COME AT ME BROSEF
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• DUDE YOU CAN'T TOP THIS

BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• World War Z was fun, but jesus I hate fucking zombies now. Glad I read that book right when it came out. I hope the movie is at least decent, but being a single POV with Brad Pitt is the totally wrong approach. WWZ should have been an anthology movie, with Pitt going around collecting the stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
          DUDE YOU CAN'T TOP THIS

Wanna bet?

Spoiler: Check me..... 
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
              World War Z was fun, but jesus I hate fucking zombies now. Glad I read that book right when it came out. I hope the movie is at least decent, but being a single POV with Brad Pitt is the totally wrong approach. WWZ should have been an anthology movie, with Pitt going around collecting the stories.
              THAT.

Also I want to see a movie where the Zombies are the good guys.
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• It's all been downhill for the (serious) zombie movie since Day of the Dead. Discuss.
                "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Shaun of the Dead is a better movie than the Romeros. Yes, even the fable Dawn of the Dead. It's perfect.

Oh, and after 1985?

Evil Dead 2
                  Army of Darkness
                  Braindead aka Dead Alive
                  28 Days Later
                  The Dawn of the Dead remake
                  Zombieland
                  REC
                  Re-Animator (85 as well if I remember)
                  La Horde

All these movies are vastly superior to Day fo the Dead in every single way, fast zombies or not. Hell, even Land of the Dead was better.

Comment

• No, it wasn't.

There's nothing in Land as good as "CHOKE ON 'EM".
                    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Maybe, but not by much. The rest of the list sure is way better than Day though. Day of the Dead is when Romero started declining.

Comment

• I can't argue with that.
                        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Land of the Dead deserves some love.
                          Originally posted by Ari
                          The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                            No, it wasn't.

There's nothing in Land as good as "CHOKE ON 'EM".
                            Indeed, and that's just the tip of it.

While there are certainly good movies on that list, Martin -- some legitimately great, even -- most of the better ones are either openly comedic (Shaun) or at least have a wry sense of humour which is evident throughout (Dead by Dawn, Army of Darkness, Braindead, Re-Animator.) None of the "serious" zombie movies on that list are nearly as atmospheric or effective overall as the original Day of the Dead. That's what I was really getting at. There's definitely been good work done in the interim within the zom-com sub-genre, but as for straight-up fright-fests? I'm not so sure.

Calling REC a good movie is one thing (it's alright, but it resorts to some truly lazy genre beats, especially towards the end.) Calling it vastly superior to Day? Sir, I'm afraid I don't see it. Same goes for the other serious flicks on the list. I can't comment on La Horde, though, as I've not seen it.

I'm not basing this in any way on the athleticism of the zombies in question. Whether they be fast, slow, or quasi-articulate, I don't really mind so long as there's a modicum of craft on show. A little finesse. That's a big, big part of why I'm making the case for Day. Zombie movies, by definition, should feel stifling and claustrophobic. Day oozes atmosphere and that wonderfully grimy palette really sells the dank environs of the bunker, where arms are waiting to pop out of every corner.

The gore - which has never been bettered - is a point all on to itself. It's a Savini masterclass; the man was at the very top of his game on that film. And I know there's an enduring sense of loss over the Day that could have been, but as I've said before, to say the movie we got is deficient somehow because it lacked the action those lost scenes would have delivered misses the point. Day isn't Land, and it's all the better for it. Lose that inward focus, that locked-up, sun-starved feel and you lose the very essence of Day. Just as Dawn excelled within certain restrictions, Day delivers the perfect zombie experience, a triumph of design and shambling dread.

Thank you... and goodnight.

* N.B. I just want to remind everyone that I really, really like Land now, after years of hating it.
                            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                              I liked Lost and World War Z was a shitty book to begin with.
                              YOU'RE A SHITTY BOOK.

World War Z was 95% fun. I haven't read much about the movie but since they're apparently not doing the movie how I thought it should happen (see: Billy's theory) it will probably be terrible.

I thought about going on a rant about how it's ridiculous that studios feel the need to hold the audience's hand through the film these days but realized it would just be summed up as "old man yells at cloud".

Comment

• IRON MAN 3 UPDATE:

Latino Review backed up what I said about the Iron Patriot mess. It's a remodeled and formatted War Machine armor.

However, Cheadle is back which is kinda new since it seemed like he was getting phased out.

Also, they've been shooting on the AIM set...pics are out and about. I give it until July before we see Kingsley as Mandarin.
                                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Working...
                                X