RUMOR CONTROL...THESE ARE THE FACTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post

Gibson is one of the best directors of the last 20 years and nobody gives him the credit he deserves.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Maybe this belongs in the secret shame thread, but I still love Mel. Don't share his women/whole world hating views but he's like that drunk uncle at family reunions who shoots his mouth off to much but usually tells the funniest stories.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• My problem with Mel is that his real life insanity starts to impact his movies. Apocalypto was generic AT BEST, and The Passion of the Christ, where the entire movie can be summed in 3 words (Jesus, blood, wood), is pure fucking garbage.

And Braveheart is so overrated it ain't funny. It's not bad at all, really, but hardly BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR stuff. And it's historically accurate as Godzilla is.
        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I love Braveheart, glaringly inaccurate as it may be. Apocalypto was generic but damned nice to look at.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Apocalypto was just a chase movie, spoken in a fucked up language. It's Mel's fascination with violence that's really fucked up. The scene with the human sacrifices is hilarious.

How many heads do we need to see rolling down the stairs to get the message? More than 6, according to Mel.

I suspect those sacrifices to be Aztecs Jews. Might explains some things...

Comment

• As if he's the only director who likes a little dismemberment. I think some start to attach motives to things that have nothing to do with his world view.

Comment

• Nah. I'm able to discernate between professional and personnal. I dislike Woody Allen because of his work, not because he's an incestuaous freak. And I like some of Polanski's work despite him being a child rapist.

Gibson's use of ultraviolence is sometimes ok (Braveheart), sometimes wrong (Passion of Jesus getting beaten the shit out of again and again).

In Apocalypto, by the 3rd or 4th head, everyone got it. And I like gory stuff, but it just wasn't handled well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                  Gibson is one of the best directors of the last 20 years and nobody gives him the credit he deserves.
                  Preaching to the choir.
                  Originally posted by Ari
                  The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Best director of the last 20 years? Come on. Men without a face and Braveheart, sure, and Apocalypto wasn't bad, but Passion of the Christ is poor.

Comment

• Passion I haven't seen since opening night. My memories of it were it was a very strong film. Might have to revisit it. Also recall my go-to joke at University when asked about my thoughts were, "Total Matrix rip-off. Dude comes back to life at the end" and the obligatory The Passion Reloaded remark(s). *Lowers head in shame*

And remember I'm in the South. So yes, a church actually rented out the theater for that screening...except for the couple of tickets I bought early. What I'll always recall about that one was how there were no trailers, previews, in front and the whole audience clapped when it was over.
                      Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM.
                      Originally posted by Ari
                      The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• I was mildly curious about Passions. Whata piece of garbage. If you want a GREAT movie abous the Christ, Scorcese did it 25 yeas ago. That one could nearly make me a christian.

Comment

• I'd rather watch Passions than Passion of the Christ.*

Yeah.

I fucking said it.

*barring the Benny Hill Cut has been stricken from the innernet record
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            Best director of the last 20 years? Come on. Men without a face and Braveheart, sure, and Apocalypto wasn't bad, but Passion of the Christ is poor.

Passion of the Christ the most competent religious film since Last Temptation.

To uniformly and structurally shut it down is just spiteful rage against Gibson. I warmly look forward to the next generation of film snobs slobbering up to him like previous generations did about faces on Sirk, DePalma and eventually Bay + Gibson.
                            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

• Man, you can't compare both movies. Passion of the Christ is closer to Saw than anything else, spiritually-wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                Man, you can't compare both movies. Passion of the Christ is closer to Saw than anything else, spiritually-wise.

Actually, you can. Both are highly controversial depictions of Christ taken to extremes that alter the perception of the mainstream.

Comment

Working...
                                X