A Single Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Single Man

Colin Firth is bloody fantastic in this.

I have no idea who Tom Ford is and don't want to know, as apparently he's some fashionista, but he sure knows how to direct actors and frame some lovely shots.

Had no interest in seeing this at all, but it was a choice between this and Valentine's Day and I'll do many things for love, but I won't do that.

I'm glad I saw it, its a good companion piece to An Education (another film I wouldn't normally have seen). Its very obviously taken from a novel, in the way it has a dreamy, internal feel to it, but it only succumbs to voiceover on two key occasions, I believe. The rest of the time, so much is conveyed with just eyes, with most scenes being shot in pretty extreme closeup.

As well as Firth's stellar work, shoutout has to go to Julianne Moore, giving a flawless London Socialite accent and playing a wonderful drunk - she only has 2 or 3 scenes, but the screentime she shares with Firth is magnificent, and she looks great - and Nicholas Hoult, the "boy" from About a Boy. I normally don't like this guy and I hate the show Skins that he was in for some time, but he's really damn good here and I think he's going to gain a lot of fans, both male and female, just for how beautiful he looks in most of his scenes. He was the real surprise for me.

But this is the Ford and Firth show all the way. Ford is the arrival of a mature talent, an actor's director. On the strength of this, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on his next couple of features for sure.

And Firth, someone who's been on the periphery of my radar for some time - I like him, but generally not the films he's in - may have just bagged a spot on my man-crush list. He's got presence and control to spare and a voice like liquid gold. I can't overstate how good he is here.

Give this film a go if its anywhere near you. The photography - all shot in a hazy, almost Super-16 style - warrants seeing it on the big screen.
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Really want to see this, and it's been playing at the indie theater in town, just haven't had time to go check it out. It seems like it should be on DVD pretty soon though.

Comment

I've been giving this movie some very serious thought even though I dislike Tom Ford for some unexplained reason.
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Good to hear. I need to break down and watch this - it's also fucking me up because I keep confusing this with A Simple Man.
        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
        *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

And A Serious Man?
          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

That's the one.

It also doesn't help that both movies are set in the 60s featuring men with large black framed glasses.
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

What the most depressing endings to a film recently. Hell, I'd say for the past decade.
              My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Heard nothing but GREAT about this film. Thanks for the review, Ben.
                Originally posted by Martin
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                Originally posted by Martin
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Die Zuckerbusen View Post
                  One of the most depressing endings to a film recently. Hell, I'd say for the past decade.

One of the....Fucking typo
                  My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

I dunno about that. It was an interesting take on what seemed like a foregone conclusion.

I think it would change how you look at a lot of his preparations if you watched it back again.

Comment

Originally posted by ben thomas View Post
                      I dunno about that. It was an interesting take on what seemed like a foregone conclusion.

I think it would change how you look at a lot of his preparations if you watched it back again.

I haven't seen it since the end of December, I might need to watch it again.

Comment

Working...
                      X