This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
    I'm more of a Terry Moore guy these days. Campbell's Danger Girl was amazing though. Wish he'd be able to stick to a schedule.
    That - I love his drawing style, and have a couple of his sketchbooks. Danger Girl was a great series with him and Hartnell at the helm, and a terrific read. The time it took to complete the first series almost turned me off to the whole project (thank God I never bothered with Battle Chasers, and don't get me started on Kevin Smith's Spider-Man stuff).

I've seen some of Campbell's Spider-Man covers and wish to hell he and Marvel could've hammered out his Spider-Man series.

Comment

• I'd buy a Campbell Spidey book. That cover he did with Mary Jane on the couch in the weirdest pose somehow works in spite of the improbability. He's just got a strong enough style to pull the ridiculous off.

Why oh god why did you mention Battle Chasers. That one still hurts.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I used to know Tom McWeeney when we were kids, and his brother Jim was one of my instructors at Kubert. I didn't pick up Battle Chasers, even though Tom was involved with it, as my then-current comic budget wouldn't allow it.

Once I heard it was left unfinished, I was glad I passed.

Agree on that Spidey cover, Russ. It's a great image, but Campbell needs to check them anatomy references. Spidey can get away with it, since his powers make him triple-jointed, but MJ? Nope.

Comment

• Wait, Spidey is triple jointed? Or am I just really dense this morning?
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
            I used to know Tom McWeeney when we were kids, and his brother Jim was one of my instructors at Kubert. I didn't pick up Battle Chasers, even though Tom was involved with it, as my then-current comic budget wouldn't allow it.

Once I heard it was left unfinished, I was glad I passed.

Agree on that Spidey cover, Russ. It's a great image, but Campbell needs to check them anatomy references. Spidey can get away with it, since his powers make him triple-jointed, but MJ? Nope.
            The art in BC is gorgeous (Red Monica is a fucking ridiculous amalgamation of Russ Meyer sensibility and manga fap material), but JoeMad is the worst. The only one to maybe usurp his reign as King of Terrible Time Management is Travis Charest. And they're both really fucking good, but they just can't pump it out.

I wish there were some alternate format for comics in their wheelhouse of Take Forever. Maybe a quarterly thing. Too bad so sad.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
              Wait, Spidey is triple jointed? Or am I just really dense this morning?
              Yup. Per Marvel, his musculature, connective tissue and joints were enhanced by the spider bite that gave him his powers. This allows him to twist and contort his body into poses normal humans can't do, such as when he swings and shit.

Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
              The art in BC is gorgeous (Red Monica is a fucking ridiculous amalgamation of Russ Meyer sensibility and manga fap material), but JoeMad is the worst. The only one to maybe usurp his reign as King of Terrible Time Management is Travis Charest. And they're both really fucking good, but they just can't pump it out.

I wish there were some alternate format for comics in their wheelhouse of Take Forever. Maybe a quarterly thing. Too bad so sad.
              That's one of the things that always pissed me off about a bunch of artists of the time when Image started. I had it drilled into me at college and at Kubert that an artist had to hit those deadlines if he/she wanted to have a career in the field. Shit, Kirby used to hammer out about 3 pages a day, whereas guys like Campbell, JoeMad, etc. slacked like mofos, barring medical issues of course.

Comment

• Yeah. They never found a decent place to stop on their pages. It's really hard to do with that sort of breakneck schedule. I'm happy they gave it shot though, otherwise I'd never have seen Charest's work and found who he was aping in Sergio Toppi.

The mandate on the new 52 (consistent schedule of finished work by deadline or find your ass a new job) has already been fucked by Jim Lee. So the Old Image way is still alive and well today.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• DC's current mandate is a sound one, and forces a lot of these artists to discipline themselves and manage their time better. That's one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of Jim Lee's redesigns - tons of extraneous crap and linework that only serves to ratchet up the time needed at the drawing board for an artist who's already under the gun to deliver.

Bah. Glad I broke the habit years ago, wish I'd done it sooner.

Comment

• James Rocchi was on the radio this morning. He has a weekly call in on 93x to talk about the weekly releases. He also talked about THE HUNGER GAMES, and he specifically called it the single best American sci fi film since THE MATRIX. He couldn't go into any major details yet, but he promised to next week when the embargo was fully lifted. Pumped.
                    Originally posted by Martin
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Wow. Looks like I'll be seeing this after all.
                      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Apparently people who have seen it can tweet reactions or talk about it in general terms, but they can't write in-depth reviews or talk at length about it. All of the tweets that I've seen have simply raved about it.
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• I'm going to see it with Brittany, but I have yet to see anything interesting. I've seen this early buzz, had people I trust rave about the books...but it just looks boooooooooooooooooooring.

Comment

• I shit you not, the first book is really good. Was not expecting to like it as much as we did.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                              I'm going to see it with Brittany, but I have yet to see anything interesting. I've seen this early buzz, had people I trust rave about the books...but it just looks boooooooooooooooooooring.
                              Unless Lesley wants to see this, it'll be rental as I'm in the same boat.
                              Nothing shown so far as gotten me excited.
                              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I'll probably go see The Hunger Games, and to honor Matt's level of excitement I'll wear nipple clamps when I see it.
                                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Working...
                                X