Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's her right as an artist to put her ideology into her work. Like it or lump it. From the sounds of it, it's essentially an extension of the old Prince Charming coming to save the helpless Princess, her life is now complete with a man to take care of her, "And they lived happily ever after..." bullshit. Except with emo vampires, gay werewolves and a pro-life message. Again...eh. This is appealing to women, young girls, etc. Well...that kind of shit has for-fucking-ever. Why does Meyer bare the brunt of lazy story-telling devices that have been used since the beginning of writing?

I'm not even a Goddamn fan of the books or movies. But it just astounds me with this reaction.
    Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 11-21-2011, 07:30 AM.
    Originally posted by Ari
    The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Originally posted by Abe Smashington View Post
      And parents were worried about Harry Potter....
      Speaking of dipshits...
      Originally posted by Ari
      The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Man, it's not that ambiguous.

First off, the books are wretchedly bad. Like, really bad. But that's a common trait to many popular authors and books, like say, Dan Brown.

But at least Dan Brown has some pacing sense, and can do some research. And at least, he's not telling kids that it's ok to be a dumb bitch and stay put while your boyfriend beats you to a pulp, and that it's important to keep that baby no matter what, even if you're dying from it.

I just don't get why you're bitching about King (not a fan), who at least wrote something meaningful in his career, no matter what's the state of his career now, when he's taking a rightful shot at Meyer who DARE compare her work to the Potter books.
        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Lesley thought it was ok. A tad laughable. Also, the books are terrible. The movies are laughable. But I watch Troma flicks so what the fuck can I say.
          Troma flicks aren't AIMED AT KIDS.

Mind you, young girls would have a better sense of a healthy relationship being inspired by Tromeo and Juliet than fucking Twilight.

Comment

• "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• That's Cage watching Season of the Witch, isn't?

Comment

• That's Cage watching Jamie defend Twilight.
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• That's worse then. Jamie, I like you, but in that regard, you're full of BEES.

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
                    That's her right as an artist to put her ideology into her work. Like it or lump it. From the sounds of it, it's essentially an extension of the old Prince Charming coming to save the helpless Princess, her life is now complete with a man to take care of her, "And they lived happily ever after..." bullshit. Except with emo vampires, gay werewolves and a pro-life message. Again...eh. This is appealing to women, young girls, etc. Well...that kind of shit has for-fucking-ever. Why does Meyer bare the brunt of lazy story-telling devices that have been used since the beginning of writing?

I'm not even a Goddamn fan of the books or movies. But it just astounds me with this reaction.
                    But again, you're missing the point. Yes, fairytales and the like have been written for centuries, but quite simply, that was then and this is now - full stop. Prince Charming didn't beat the crap out of Sleeping Beauty out of "his sheer passion for her." Okay, you can argue that "Romeo and Juliet" glorifies teen suicide, but that was also written eons ago. Someone writing for kids nowadays, in 2011, should just simply know better. Religous beliefs aside, clunky writing aside, the fact that it's fiction aside. It's just irresponsible.

And I don't really care about her ideology being put into the books, because yes, fair point - authors always do that. It's just the more passive and downright damaging stuff that goes in there that I have an objection with. I'm 48 - I can read her books, dismiss them and hold onto my own beliefs, because I've got 34 years more of life experience than her average reader.

Another example of how just irresponsible her books can be - when they realize the baby is killing Bella from the inside out, Edward goes to Jacob the werewolf with a plan out of sheer desperation. He proposes that, since Bella wants a baby so badly, they can abort the vampire baby she's carrying, and impregnate her with Jacob's baby, so she'll just have a baby, any baby. See that? The message is so fucked up, it goes all over the place because:

On the one hand, abortion is bad, and bad people will want to take the baby you're so selflessly carrying, even if it kills you.

And on the other hand, it doesn't matter who's baby you're carrying - you just want a baby, so you're simply a vessel.
                    Last edited by Lisa; 11-21-2011, 07:54 AM.
                    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Small detail: Romeo and Juliet wasn't aimed at kids.

Comment

• The movie from the 70's had boobs. Was awesome in middle school.
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Small detail: Romeo and Juliet wasn't aimed at kids.
                          Well, that's true too - it is, however, one of the first classics we read in high school, but again, fair point.
                          2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

Comment

The movie from the 70's had boobs. Was awesome in middle school.
                            AHEM, Mr. Guy With A Movie Discussion Board! 1960s!

Comment

• I just remember the boobs.
                              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Auugggh! It's so much more than boobs!

Seriously though, all kidding aside - it's truly the best version of R&J that there is out there. And I do like the Claire and Leo 1997 version (it was different, and frankly, I loved the little twist in the Capulet tomb), but the 1968 is the Rolls Royce of R&J.

Comment

Working...
                                X