X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Stupid View Post
    Fucking Mirror's Edge: Spider-Man edition
    CORRECT!
    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
      Tim, were you this skeptical when the first Raimi movie was announced? Why or why not?
      I wasn't as skeptical for the first one for a couple of reasons:

1) I was amazed they were FINALLY making a Spider-Man movie. I'd been stoked for that since way the hell back in the day when James Cameron and Cannon were spitballing the idea. Then when Batman came out in '89, the rumor mill was hinting a Spider-Man movie was around the corner. Anticipation carried the day to the exclusion of rational thought, although I was praying "Please don't suck... please don't suck" once there was actual progress reports coming out.

2) Sam Raimi was running the show, which I thought was brilliant on all sorts of levels. Still do. Also, the cast looked pretty sharp - Maguire had the chops, and he looked very passable as Parker. Pics of Kirsten Dunst as MJ, DeFoe as Osborn/Green Goblin, and so on really stoked my urge to see the pic. I will admit some skepticism re: the Goblin's outfit. I could understand where they were going with the design, and the logic behind it made sense, but I still would've liked to have seen something a bit closer to the comics.

3) The first teaser came out, and that surprised many. Most thought it was a crime or mob movie, until the helicopter was stuck in the web, and the first shot of Spider-Man popped up. Audience went nuts.

I think the problem I have with this new flick is due to me being a bit older and more jaded re: trailers in general - I've been burned so many times when the trailer looks great, but the film blows chunks, that my armor automatically goes up. Also, to be fair, I'm not as familiar with Garfield's body of work like I am with Maguire's, so I'm not able to say whether he can do a great job in the role. Pics of him in the outfit (geez, that outfit), his freakin' hairdo, and the fact he doesn't quite look nerdy enough (he's good-looking, almost TOO good looking, whereas Maguire looked kind of average), haven't been getting me stoked as much.

Plus, the sense of "been there, done that" with regards to retelling his origin (yeah, it looks to be quite different than the first flick, but hey, it wasn't THAT long ago we saw that scenario play out onscreen) and his formative years - we saw that flick already. I'd have preferred they just keep going with the franchise like they do when they introduce a new James Bond. But that's me, your weight loss results may differ.

I will admit, the trailer is better than I anticipated it would be, and doesn't give too much away. I'd prefer it stays that way in the future when the official trailer comes out - if the Lizard's the big bad this time around, I can wait for his reveal, so I can be surprised when I see the flick (won't happen, as this is the age of the innernetz, but I can dream).
      Last edited by Timothy225; 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• The one thing that I still have a nerd bug up my nerd ass about is the Goblin Power Ranger.

Specifically the helmet. Where the fuck did he yank that out of? His ass?

You get an actor like Dafoe, who has the face to pull off that sort of look (they could have just painted his face like he was at one of the state fair booths), and you put a metallically-painted plastic helmet in place of something that is arguably cheaper AND more effective?

Fuck.

I mad.

I mad all over again.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Cool, was just wondering as you seem to have the biggest "emotional" tie to Spidey on the boards. I'd recommend getting after some Garfield stuff, he's the goods. I agree on the origin story shit. We don't need it. EVERYONE knows Peter Parker was bit by a spider, skip it, we know the character is an awkward high school student. He's much more interesting as a struggling college kid with a girlfriend.

Comment

• I haven't seen the trailer so I cannot comment on it (and I don't dare click on WWTDD while at work), but even if it's GOOD I'll probably skip this. The whole idea of this film offends me.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            Originally posted by Martin
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Yeah, that was my biggest beef of the flick. Even when the first pics leaked out, and I saw the armor, I didn't get why the hell you'd hide Defoe under a helmet. Slap some prosthetics on that face, let him go to town! Then have him reveal he's wearing a mask his company developed for some psy-ops program for the military (they inject the bad guys with some drug, somebody wears the Goblin mask and interrogates the bad guy, bad guy spills secrets out of fear. It'd tie in great with the Goblin's arsenal. Plus it's a movie based on a COMIC BOOK - if the audience is buying a guy who can stick to walls and shoot webs, the audience WILL buy this too!).

ETA:
              Originally posted by BillyG View Post
              Cool, was just wondering as you seem to have the biggest "emotional" tie to Spidey on the boards. I'd recommend getting after some Garfield stuff, he's the goods. I agree on the origin story shit. We don't need it. EVERYONE knows Peter Parker was bit by a spider, skip it, we know the character is an awkward high school student. He's much more interesting as a struggling college kid with a girlfriend.
              Yeah, I'm a nerd for Spider-Man. Have been since I was 5, and it's the only comic book character I geek out about. Not as much, as the comics stuff went south a few years back, but still...

I've been meaning to check out The Social Network as it's been on cable lately. just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I also agree that Spidey's best stuff was in his college years (he was only in high school for a year or two in the comics, and all the really good shit started kicking in when he went to college - Gwen, Harry, MJ, bad guys got more bad ass, etc.), and the fact that Spider-Man's origin has not only been done in film, the story is extremely accessable at this point to anyone who wants to know it. No need to go over it again.
              Last edited by Timothy225; 07-19-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• Now we get a new angle of the spider bite.

This is the most expensive not-so-instant replay ever.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I'd like to see an offical version of the teaser only because you can't see shit in these bootlegs.

Comment

• Probably will happen after SDCC this week, Ed.

Comment

• Fej smash Emma.

Comment

• Well of course Fej smash Emma. We worry about Fej if Fej not want smash Emma. Most of BDR tribe want smash Emma. No Ed, no Howard, no soft pretty ones, though. They no want smash Emma. They off in other side of cave, doing things to strengthen tribe, gather sticks, fight longtooth cats, clean cave. They productive. We draw scorn around fire 'cause want smash Emma.

Many of us sleep outside tonight. Dream of smash Emma. Best shot we get.

Comment

• I haven't seen The Social Network yet either, so the only Giraffe-Man performance I can base anything on has been his role as a smug twat in Red Riding.

I just can't get myself at all interested in the story of the origin of the social media platform.

The fact he is now smashing Emma's stones does him no favors, as I am a petty man with delusions of grandeur.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Garfield looks fuckable in Never Let Me Go

That is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                              Garfield looks fuckable in Never Let Me Go

That is all.
                                Spoiler: warning: plot details to Never Let Me Go 
                              Nothing hotter than a dying clone missing harvested organs.

Comment

• YUP

Comment

Working...
                                X