Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Action Sci Fi of all time? (AVATAR DISCUSSION)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rob View Post
    Meaning what?
    Meaning the gerth(?) of your previous. Was huge with quotes.
    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Also, I feel the need once again to state that I really dug the movie. It's just a tad hollow in the end in my opinion. I still think that Terminator and The Abyss are better written movies than Avatar.
      I'm not THAT into the Abyss but it was good. I won't argue that maybe, just maybe, the first Terminator is a better WRITTEN movie. It was damn near perfect.

EDIT: Let me just say too that I'm impressed with the general level of discourse on this Forum Rob. You found some pretty decent Sci Fi critics around here. Nearly everyone agrees that Aliens was fucking incredible. And Predator too. Nobody is defending the new Star Wars movies or Matrix sequels. Pretty good critics all around! But...when you were talking ID4, what movie where you referring to?

Comment

• I love The Abyss.
        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Independence Day man. Yes it's hokey, yes it's hollow, but seeing that in a packed theater on July 4th was fucking amazing. Plus I have a soft spot for alien flicks, no matter how dumb haha. Plus this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRGUqd_M6Mg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRGUqd_M6Mg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• THAT'S A GODDAMN SPEECH.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by goober8008 View Post
              the first new batman movie, not "The Dark Knight" but the first one with Raz' Algul.
              Best part of that movie was the origin. Worst part was the ending.

"I don't have to save you"

YES YOU DO YOU'RE THE GODDAMN BATMAN

Comment

THAT'S A GODDAMN SPEECH.
                I remember loving it as a kid and just despising it later on. ID4 did have some good action, but it doesn't hold up well with time at all. How can you hate on T2 but give ID4 a nod> It was so much cheesier. In fact, I think it has the hokiest line in the history of Sci Fi action movies...

"In the words of my generation..UP YOURS!!!:'' <SHUDDER>

Does Blade Count? That movie had some bad ass action too...

Comment

• Blade sucks.

Blade II is superior.

And ID4 was a cheese fest. I don't think anyone was going to think any differently going into it. But Will Smith sold the fuck outta that shit. And it made him a goddamn star. Who then ruined I Am Legend. Fucker.

Terminator 2 was a sequel to a fantastic scifi flick that also kind of brought back action in a big way. But did so with bringing nothing new to the table but new technology. Just like Avatar. Both are entertaining movies, but T2 has aged horribly for me. While Terminator still fucking brings the pain.

Comment

• One thing I will admit was shitty in Avatar was "Vasquez Redux". Her character seemed so forced and tacked on. Her dialogue did me make me cringe towards the end, and I absolutely LOVED the original Vasquez. She was bad ass in Aliens, but not in Avatar.

Comment

• Because of the writing....

Comment

• Originally posted by goober8008 View Post
                        You and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum my friend. I read about your deal with Primer...that movie bored the shit out of me. And yes, I got it...sort of. But time travel has been explored much more interestingly in other movies. It's Sci Fi for the art house crowd! Wooooo! Primer sucked.
                        If you "sort of" got Primer, then you really didn't get it at all. Other than possibly Los Cronocrimenes, name a flick where a time travel plot device was "explored much more interestingly in".

And no worries about being on the opposite end of the spectrum from me in regards to movies. I hate "fun" and plot/dialogue is much more important to me than cinematography.

P.S. Hi, I'm nerdious and I'm pretentious.
                        The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• I can't believe we all forgot about a clear contender:

THE ROAD WARRIOR!

That movie was so bad ass. Hmmm. I might have modify my list:

1.) Aliens
                          2.) Avatar
                          3.)Terminator 1 or 2
                          4.) The Matrix
                          5.) The Road Warrior

Hmmmm...Who would of thought T2 would be my weakest link. I guess you made some good points about T1 being better, maybe it is. It's hard for me to make up my mind T2 was not as clean of a narrative as the first one. I can't decide which I liked better right now...

Comment

• And I find it fucking hilarious that two weeks ago, Rob was championing this movie. Like it had sucked his cock like a motherfucker. Now? He's debating with one of his personal friends about why it's not the best movie ever. AWESOME. I FUCKING LOVE THIS PLACE.
                            The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
                              If you "sort of" got Primer, then you really didn't get it at all. Other than possibly Los Cronocrimenes, name a flick where a time travel plot device was "explored much more interestingly in".

And no worries about being on the opposite end of the spectrum from me in regards to movies. I hate "fun" and plot/dialogue is much more important to me than cinematography.

P.S. Hi, I'm nerdious and I'm pretentious.
                              Easy, Superman II!

Kidding...

I will have rewatch it, not really looking forwrd to that though...

Comment

• Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
                                And I find it fucking hilarious that two weeks ago, Rob was championing this movie. Like it had sucked his cock like a motherfucker. Now? He's debating with one of his personal friends about why it's not the best movie ever. AWESOME. I FUCKING LOVE THIS PLACE.
                                I still am. Countless times I say it's fucking awesome. But I also know it's not the best movie ever. and I don't ever think I did say it was. I was just amazed by it in theaters. And I had a blast. You were the one that saw a movie you were already kinda meh over and in 2D no less. Fail for you sir. Give me your waffles.

Comment

Working...
                                X