Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring it on down to Green Lanternville...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I was saying..."Boo-urns!"
      Originally posted by Ari
      The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Comment

• Look out! It brings us love! GET IT!
          Originally posted by Ari
          The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Green Lantern

A Bear's Musings:

It's no masterpiece, but it's far from the worst thing ever. Reynolds - and, by extension, I - had fun. The suit looked cooler than I thought it would and it's nice to see unapologetic pulp sci-fi on the big screen. Splendid, even.

That said, the script was pretty lackluster. Dialogue often felt like first-draft material, placeholder lines to be reworked into something release-worthy. Structurally, it could have used a brisk shakeup as well. Too much time elapsed without any real urgency behind it, then all of a sudden: CRISIS! The lack of any truly special threat made that all the more problematic.

Mark Strong is a bit hit and miss with me, but he was fantastic in this. Probably my favourite performance of his, to be honest (and he made a fantastic Purple David Niven.) The inevitable training stuff was enjoyable, as was everything intergalactic. Earthbound scenes, less so. They felt a little tonally out of place with the rest of the film at times, not to mention infinitely less interesting. I can understand the desire to make stuff like the gala and Hal's pad scenes a respite of sorts for the non-fans, a bit of leverage to keep those of a less geeky constitution from zoning out completely, but I think that was taken too far, making it quite disconcerting when the swaps occurred.

It was diverting in the moment and I can look back now at moments of quality, but overall it felt like a frustrating warm-up for better stuff I'm now sad we might never get to see because of its foibles/disappointing box office/bad reviews, etc. Shame. Would've loved to see this work out, especially for Reynolds.

2.5 Radiant Isla Fishers (out of a potential 5.)
            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• MOAR HECTOR
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I honestly expected to dig him more, based on all the love for his performance I'd heard before going in. He wasn't bad. Just nothing particularly memorable. The coolest thing about him was his appearance after he started auditioning for the remake of This Island Earth within the movie.
                "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• My love for him is solely because he acts like he's in a completely different better movie.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• The gala was a horrible and uninspired set-piece until a wild Sarsgaard appeared and unleashed great facial expressions and dirtbag drinking etiquette to the unwashed denizens of Coast City.

But then Sarsgaard made Hammond better than he had any right to be. The character is so fucking lame on paper, it isn't even funny.
                    Last edited by Captain Russ; 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I just enjoy that in the fight between him and GL in the army hanger that he gets his ass kicked and then it just cuts to him in bed. WHY DIDN'T GL DO ANYTHING?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                        I just enjoy that in the fight between him and GL in the army hanger that he gets his ass kicked and then it just cuts to him in bed. WHY DIDN'T GL DO ANYTHING?
                        They didn't explain the whole "yellow=fear" thing to the audience all that well, so Hal's incapacitation was more of a "WTF?" moment than it should have been.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I guess it's more the fact that this FUCKING GIANT HEADED FREAK is just wandering around wailing and no one seems to think "hmms, maybe something is wrong with him?"

Comment

• God I love this retarded movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                              My love for him is solely because he acts like he's in a completely different better movie.
                              See, I didn't get that at all. He was obviously having fun, but it didn't translate with Sarsgaard like it did with Reynolds (and it's got nothing to do with him being a villain as opposed to a hero.) Maybe, if he wasn't written so poorly.

Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                              The gala was a horrible and uninspired set-piece until a wild Saarsgard appeared and unleashed great facial expressions and dirtbag drinking etiquette to the unwashed denizens of Coast City.
                              Not to mention comically lecherous hair sniffing!

No argument about the generic nature of the event and its purpose, however I did find it fun (in a silly sort of way) that Hal's split-second decision making created the whole Emerald Hot Rod Circuit. Even if people are slagging that off and the foreshadowing before with his ride and the toy car thing, it looked good. If everyone elsewhere nit-picking the "logic" of a film whose central conceit involves the ability to harness the power of will via space jewellery held their water for a second, some of them could dig that, too.

Comment

• The Phantom still rules the ring-wearin' hero roost.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X