Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE MEN OF THE X VARIETY AND OTHER FOX BS (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really? You guys liked this movie? I thought, storywise, it was a complete mess.
    Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• Originally posted by BMichaelKrol View Post
      Really? You guys liked this movie? I thought, storywise, it was a complete mess.
      THEY WERE TRYING TO PUNK ME!!! I knew it.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
        THEY WERE TRYING TO PUNK ME!!! I knew it.
        Sorry mate ... I think our friends are wrong.

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• Wow. A LOT better than I was expecting. Were there flaws and things that irritated me? Sure. But, overall, loved this movie.
          Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by BMichaelKrol View Post
            Really? You guys liked this movie? I thought, storywise, it was a complete mess.
            How so? A couple of odd continuity errors aside, it was fine. It feel victim to the typical second tier heroes/villains are cannon fodder but that's not fatal.

Comment

• I'm waiting for netflix. I'm sure some of you really enjoyed it but I'll play it safe on this one.
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I believe Mr. Krol's dissenting opinion is the first I have come across.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                  How so? A couple of odd continuity errors aside, it was fine. It feel victim to the typical second tier heroes/villains are cannon fodder but that's not fatal.
                  ****SPOILERS***GET OUT NOW, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!****

Basically, Shaw's central plan is complete idiocy. Unless I missed something big, Evil Kevin Bacon wants to trick the US and the USSR into a full-on nuclear war so mutants can run the world after all the human's are gone. That's just stupid. After an atomic war the world will be one big irradiated shit hole which affects mutants in the same way as their normal cousins. Unless they have powers that counter-act normal human vulnerabilities, mutants need the same things as humans. Things like food, clean air, water, shelter. A nuclear war would make all those things impossible. And even if other more powerful mutants could help their lesser brethren, the world would still be destroyed. Who the hell wants to live in the crap-fest that will the be the world after?

Only an idiot or a lunatic would ignore the consequences of a nuclear war. It doesn't appear that Shaw is either. Ergo, this is a big problem with the script.

Secondly, why was Mystique there? I understand why thematically, but really, what does her character do? What purpose does she serve that couldn't be served by a blue and furry beast? It seems like she's there just because she was in the Singer movies. Which isn't a great reason, storywise.

And third, Magneto has a really weak character arc. The conflict between Magneto and Xavier is what makes the X-men an interesting idea. But in the movie, Magneto made no attempt to adapt, see, or argue for Xavier's ideals (and Xavier himself was rather one-note on this issue too). Now, why is that important? Because when Magneto ultimately rejects those ideals in the third act, it gives that rejection an emotional weight. As is, beyond one really weak moment (the scene when Magneto tries to leave the CIA), Magneto never tries to adapt or live by Xavier's vision. There is no change or conflict in the Xavier and Magneto character's and that's a problem with the story.

There is stuff in there I liked. And I like the concept of a period piece. The direction was solid and I thought the movie was acted well. But the script has problems and that's what killed it for me.

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Amusing to hear the Batman Begins comparisons and it being blatantly misrepresented to order to spin these weak numbers (Those saying Begins opened to $48 M don't point out that actually had a 5-day weekend and chugged out $73 M total for its opening).

I say enjoy what's in front of you right now and stop bitching, moaning and wetting yourselves over a First Class sequel. Which is why I hate fanboys so much. Nothing is ever enough. One awesome X-Men prequel that ties into Bryan's movies brilliantly isn't enough.
                      Originally posted by Ari
                      The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Another problem is that they seemed to misconceive Shaw's powers onscreen. What he could do and how he applies. They almost wanted him to come across as a energy vampire. He's not, but it's not far off.

The WWIII scenario seems more akin to a Mr. Sinister type which is what Vaughn, Goldman, Singer and company seemed to be projecting onto Shaw. Even to the point that they had one of the Marauders as part of Shaw's entourage.

Short-sightedness vs. determination to dominate a new age is the driving point, they just bungle it a little.

Also, they brutally misunderstood Darwin's power just to give the team a story point.

I don't mind the ties to the CIA, that helps to ground a lot of shit that I have issues with in the main Marvel Universe.

I didn't care for how they introduced the Hellfire Club as a left-over set from Austin Powers. The Hellfire Club has been around for 30 years with a distinct set design and style. You guys really couldn't play that up?

McAvoy did nail early Silver Age Professor X down-pat. Half-horndog, half-optimist. Magneto was developed and then sacrificed for pacing. It's a weak schtick, but it had to happen to someone. Still, it could've ended up far worse.

Side note: I still don't get why they didn't approach Vaughn to direct The Avengers. After everyone they went to, they couldn't be bothered to ask him.
                        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• I loved the movie! I think it was the best X-Men film!
                          "Uh, whose car is that out front?"
                          "Mine. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!"

"Can you feel the love?....Nub Nub...."

Recipient of: The Best Post of the Day Award!: 2

Comment

• Damn, there was some dumb shit in this movie (Shaw's plan, January Jones acting, Beast's horrible muppet suit) but overall it was really fucking well made.

Are people really still bitching about its relation to the comics? You had to know by this point that they just cherry pick ideas for the films. Especially with all the continuity problems apparent from the outset. Not to mention the goddamn comics barely make sense anyway. Everyone's an resurrected future clone alternate reality version of their original selves at this point. Not exactly a well of seamless, brilliant ideas to pull from.

Also, sorry, but no one gives a shit about the Hellfire Club.

Comment

• Almost forgot, there was an attempt to explain Shaw's insane plan, but it was also stupid. His logic was that mutants would be unaffected by the fallout. How does that account for the uninhabitable land? We'll never know what Kevin Bacon was thinking.

Comment

• In regards to Shaws plan being retarded they explicitly say yes it is and it won't work but nukes are bad without mutant chicanery.

Comment

Working...
                                X