Nirvana vs. the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin
    Oh, and by the way, fuck Kurt Cobain. That bullet is the only good thing he really did.

Fucking HATE Nirvana. Most overrated band in history. When I heard idiots mentionning it alongside Pearl Jam (gifted musicians, no matter how much you like/hate them, and I'm not a huge fan), my ears bleed.

even worse, Nirvana begat Foo Fighters, aka the most generic rock band until Nickelback appeared.

EDIT: Only The Color and the Shape is a good album. The rest is shit.
    Man what. The only thing correct in this post is that Colour and the Shape is a good album. Martin and Rob need to listen to Wasting Light because it is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington
      I'd also say that Cobain's death affected my generation the same way Lennon's death affected yours. IT'S SCIENCE.
      No denying that at all, Rob. I take issue with comparing Cobain's body of work to Lennon's. Lennon did a lot beyond music, including activism, film, the arts, etc. Now, had Cobain lived, he could have potentially done as much or more than Lennon did, but we'll never know. To be fair, yes, absolutely, he and Nirvana changed the game by ushering in the age of Grunge, and we were long past due for such a change in the industry.

Also, Cobain pretty much telegraphed he was going to check out early what with his previous suicide attempt prior to kissing the business end of a shotgun - shit, we ran a death pool for Cobain soon after his first attempt. Lennon was murdered by a crazed fan, which nobody saw coming, especially to a guy like Lennon who was of the generation that espoused peace and love for everyone. In all honesty, I was more shocked by the onstage death of Dimebag Darrel, and I'm not a big Pantera fan.

Comment

I like all of the old people in this thread bitching about Nirvana the same way their elders bitched about their music.
        Woah, back up there, junior - I may be old enough to be your mother, but where do you see ME bitching about Nirvana? I'm a fan, bud!
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie
          Can't beguile you for your Shiny Happy People hate. One of those songs I'm indifferent to but see both sides. That said, the album that single came from, Out of Time, is fucking excellent.

But R.E.M.'s finest work has and will always be Automatic For the People.
          I worked at a music store when AFTP came out, and we beat the shit out of it for something like four months. It was a very good album, but that work experience killed it for me.

Their first two albums, though. Jesus did we play the fuck out of those in college. Great stuff.
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

The peace and love generation was a crock of shit. they all sold out.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I'd also say that Cobain's death affected my generation the same way Lennon's death affected yours. IT'S SCIENCE.
              I'll be 33 this month and my response to Cobain's death? "What an asshole." So I'm not quite sure it affected the whole generation the same way you think it did. I'm indifferent to Nirvana as I like some of their songs and can't stand others but comparing Cobain checking himself out to the murder of a much more influential artist is silly and obtuse at best.
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

It's all subjective. The Beatles and Lennon didn't affect me at all. Never did ,never will. Just like Nirvana doesn't for some people. Which is why I really try to stay out of these conversations to begin with but I couldn't let this shit stand mang. Kurt was a prick for killing himself but to say that it didn't affect people is bullshit. Maybe I'm a bit too close to this subject seeing a good friend of mine offed himself after Kurt did. I'm now leaving this thread and would like people to move to the music thread to discuss bands and their influence. thanks.
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

The peace and love generation was a crock of shit. they all sold out.
                  Got it in one - yesterday's hippies are often the most conservative of folks today, no denying that at all. The message was a noble one, though, but Lennon did walk it like he talked it for awhile afterwards; yes, he had his demons/issues as well as Cobain did, but I'd argue Lennon's work with The Beatles as well as his solo stuff had more impact in general than Cobain/Nirvana did. But, again, we'll never know what Cobain could've accomplished had he lived. Could he have eclipsed Lennon? Possibly, but at the moment he died, he hadn't done near as much as Lennon did, so the comparison of what both he and Lennon accomplished always rings false with me.

Comment

Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie
                    Can't beguile you for your Shiny Happy People hate. One of those songs I'm indifferent to but see both sides. That said, the album that single came from, Out of Time, is fucking excellent.

But R.E.M.'s finest work has and will always be Automatic For the People.
                    WORD. And yes, like Matt, I overplayed the shit out of it. But man, Drive alone is a masterpiece.

Originally posted by BillyG
                    People that love Nirvana but don't at least like The Pixies cause aneurysms in babies.
                    Most people who worship Nirvana never heard of The Pixies...
                    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson
                      Iggy, Martin and Krol sound so old right now that I want to beat them up and sell their medicine to ethnic junkies.
                      It's not that I'm older than you, it's just that I know more than you.

Anyway, I'll just say this: Nirvana is overrated, but that doesn't mean they're not any good. I like In Utero (Milk It and Senseless Apprentice rocked so hard live it fucking hurt) and Incesticide is a great odds n sods records with one of my favorite Nirvana songs ever (Aero Zeppelin). HOWEVER, the level of deification bestowed on Cobain is more because of his early death and not due to his work. He had an excellent sense of melody and I think after Nirvana inevitably broke up he would've come back and done some really remarkable music. Of course, we'll never know.

Culturally their influence was undeniable. However their output as a band fades over time the father you get from the cultural context that spawned them.

And with that, I'll go back to talking about food or raccoon sex, or something equally bizarre.
                      Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

Nirvana vs. the world

Comment

*fart*
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

I don't want to talk about this anymore.

Where can I post pictures of myself?
                            Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

5 goddamn pages. Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                Most people who worship Nirvana never heard of The Pixies...
                                To be honest, there is nothing wrong with that. The Pixies, while totally his main influence, are not for every one. I'm not even a huge fan anymore. And personally I think The Vasolines deserve more love.

Comment

Working...
                                X