Nirvana vs. the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Miller
    I don't think Stipe is even the slightest bit straight, and while Courtney is quite mannish in some regards, probably not nearly enough for him. I think he just tried to help her out a bit.

Love was definitely fucking Billy Corgan a lot, though. She hops in to bed with talented songwriters who end up being stupid enough to write any of the good Hole material (Kurt - Live Through This, Billy - Celebrity Skin).
    Oh, I know she shtupped Billly Corgan in a big way. And Stipe is openly gay, but I've known of gay guys who experimented with girls - there's a picture from way back, right after Kurt died, of Courtney in a pretty serious lip-lock with Stipe. So even if they didn't fuck, they at least did that (which I know, I know - kissing's not much, but he's gay and it was literally a few weeks after Kurt died).

Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington
    Also, Foo Fighters have sucked since their second album.
    True.

Originally posted by Anderson
    Give me a few days. I want to turn this into something that actually benefits me.
    Originally posted by Timothy225
    No! No no no, this is all that is soulless and wrong! Cheap Trick did an awesome cover of "Ain't That A Shame" on "Live at Buddokan", but this just blows. This is just "mom rock."
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Originally posted by BMichaelKrol
      But, to be charitable, hair metal was killed by Nirvana. At least until your generation unfortunately resurrected it.

For the better? Cobain ruined lyric writing for about a decade in hard pop-music and put a nail arrangement's coffin for the better part of a decade. Plus he inspired Fred Durst. Which is just terrible.
      The top part is quoted for truth. The bottom part is quoted for FUCKING truth.

It was cool when they did songs like "Heart Shaped Box" that kind of almost made sense in a weird, eerie sort of way, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was intentionally not supposed to make sense as an indictment of callow youth culture. But I'd opine Cobain had the ability to make this work. Most of the rest of the grunge movement that tried to follow suit failed miserably in the attempt, I'd argue. I mean, what the FUCK do the lyrics to any STP song mean? Good lyrics are a huge part of whether or not I like a song, and the fact that I have no idea why dogs are smelling her, or what her name being what it means (is her name Toomuchwalkingshoewornthin or WHAT?!) means just piss me off. Fucking HATED the 90's, except for "Nevermind", "In Utero" and "Ten". The whole rest of the decade can pretty much blow me.

Still, all that having been said, give credit where it's due: when Nirvana broke, they spawned a movement (for better or worse) that dominated a decade. I'd call that pretty influential.
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by IggytheBorg
        What the FUCK do the lyrics to any STP song mean?
        "Sex Type Thing" was a provocation to fornication.

In essence, it was the "Lady Marmalade" of the 1990s, but with a reversal of gender roles.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

I would however ask what the fuck was anything by Bush supposed to mean?
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by BMichaelKrol

As for the Ravens cap, I got it in Baltimore when I was cold.
            Oh. Yeah. Thas cool.

90s gave me Del Amitri and REM and Wilco and Toad the Wet Sprocket. I'm good with it.

Comment

Oh, and by the way, fuck Kurt Cobain. That bullet is the only good thing he really did.

Fucking HATE Nirvana. Most overrated band in history. When I heard idiots mentionning it alongside Pearl Jam (gifted musicians, no matter how much you like/hate them, and I'm not a huge fan), my ears bleed.

even worse, Nirvana begat Foo Fighters, aka the most generic rock band until Nickelback appeared.

EDIT: Only The Color and the Shape is a good album. The rest is shit.
              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Originally posted by Martin
                Oh, and by the way, fuck Kurt Cobain. That bullet is the only good thing he really did.

Fucking HATE Nirvana. Most overrated band in history. When I heard idiots mentionning it alongside Pearl Jam (gifted musicians, no matter how much you like/hate them, and I'm not a huge fan), my ears bleed.

even worse, Nirvana begat Foo Fighters, aka the most generic rock band until Nickelback appeared.

EDIT: Only The Color and the Shape is a good album. The rest is shit.

Iggy, Martin and Krol sound so old right now that I want to beat them up and sell their medicine to ethnic junkies.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

I was actually the target audience for Nirvana. Spot-on. I just like my reactionary music played by talented people. Like, say, The Clash. Nirvana is music for the angry 6 years old in me.

Comment

RE: this non-starter of a controversy involving the forum's opinions on Nirvana

Not a big fan of their music and their impact is certainly inflated in certain circles, but I can't really situate myself in this for/against nonsense.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Russ
                      RE: this non-starter of a controversy involving the forum's opinions on Nirvana

Not a big fan of their music and their impact is certainly inflated in certain circles, but I can't really situate myself in this for/against nonsense.

Neither can I. But, Krol pissed me off, so I want to turn that into something positive.
                      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

I'll just take any chance I get to bash Nirvana....

now, back to pics of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
                          Their first two albums are great, and they have some good songs here and there throughout their career (AFTP was pretty good), but they pretty much lost my fandom with SHINY HAPPY PEOPLE, the single worst song ever written...much worse than WE BUILT THIS CITY.
                          Can't beguile you for your Shiny Happy People hate. One of those songs I'm indifferent to but see both sides. That said, the album that single came from, Out of Time, is fucking excellent.

But R.E.M.'s finest work has and will always be Automatic For the People.
                          Originally posted by Ari
                          The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

I could honestly take or leave Nirvana when compared to bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc., but I do recognize their impact. The only time I got really pissed off in regards to the band was after Cobain's suicide and Kurt Loder was interviewing Jan Wenner(?) from Rolling Stone. Wenner(?) compared Cobain to John Lennon (something along the lines of Cobain being his generation's Lennon), which almost made me punch my TV screen.

Comment

I like all of the old people in this thread bitching about Nirvana the same way their elders bitched about their music. It's cute. Love them or hate them they fucking changed the music scene when they broke. As much as everyone loves AiC and Pearl Jam, etc, I sincerely doubt those bands would have garnered as much attention as they got if it wasn't for Kurt. And it sucks that that may be case as PJ and AiC are great bands in their own right.
                              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I'd also say that Cobain's death affected my generation the same way Lennon's death affected yours. IT'S SCIENCE.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X