Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documentaries: The epic thread of interesting ones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checked out the first episode of The Big Conn on Apple +.

Anderson , how prolific was this dude around your area? I didn't hear about the guy until I stumbled on to this doc (it's 4 eps) and that first ep was nuts. If you have Apple+ or whatever, just give this a go. Lawyers be lawyering but sometimes they be lawyering in fucking INSANE ways.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
      Checked out the first episode of The Big Conn on Apple +.

Anderson , how prolific was this dude around your area? I didn't hear about the guy until I stumbled on to this doc (it's 4 eps) and that first ep was nuts. If you have Apple+ or whatever, just give this a go. Lawyers be lawyering but sometimes they be lawyering in fucking INSANE ways.
      Eric Conn was running this shit in Eastern KY, which is why he got away with it for so long. If he had done it here, he might have been able to get in 2 months of work tops before getting busted.

I know of the name, because he got tried closer to here. Also, it looks like Tom Segura's cousin made the documentary.
      But, this kind of shit happens all the time in EKY which might as well be Mars compared to where I live.

If you ever want to be depressed out of your fucking mind and never want to return, spend a few hours in Eastern KY. Really any area that isn't Ashland. People like to dunk on them, but they've been living in the shittiest of shit conditions.

People who don't know shit about about the area are like WELL WHY DON'T THEY VOTE FOR BETTER?
      These people don't vote. It's a fucking win to get them to graduate High School. They're now 4 to 5 generations in of living a slightly better than 19th century rural existence.

People also want to make comparisons to the Inner City Ghetto and shit like that. Even that is wrong. Those people have at least seen how the rest of the world lives. They have food deserts because people keep ripping off stores.

When I was in college and we played against a few teams out of there, you made friends by taking them to the Mall. These fuckers act like it's Disneyland and they all have these shitty Cricket phones they take pics on and text it back to their family to show them CHECK THIS SHIT OUT.

So, when I see docs like this...I understand why it happens. They are an easily preyed upon group of people who don't have shit and never had shit. Most of them have to drive 45 mins to an hour to get to a real hospital. Most of these areas have medical centers which are virtually medical offices staffed with a few more people.

There are still groups of people suing the SSA because of what Conn did because when assholes like that get shut down, then SSA freezes the benefits of anyone that was using him to get said assets. So, you now have people who have been going without SSA for 3 years. Well, at least the ones that didn't blow their heads off because they couldn't afford pain management among other things.

I should check the doc out.
      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Seriously dude, this shit is so fucked up.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post

Eric Conn was running this shit in Eastern KY, which is why he got away with it for so long. If he had done it here, he might have been able to get in 2 months of work tops before getting busted.

I know of the name, because he got tried closer to here. Also, it looks like Tom Segura's cousin made the documentary.
          But, this kind of shit happens all the time in EKY which might as well be Mars compared to where I live.

If you ever want to be depressed out of your fucking mind and never want to return, spend a few hours in Eastern KY. Really any area that isn't Ashland. People like to dunk on them, but they've been living in the shittiest of shit conditions.

People who don't know shit about about the area are like WELL WHY DON'T THEY VOTE FOR BETTER?
          These people don't vote. It's a fucking win to get them to graduate High School. They're now 4 to 5 generations in of living a slightly better than 19th century rural existence.

People also want to make comparisons to the Inner City Ghetto and shit like that. Even that is wrong. Those people have at least seen how the rest of the world lives. They have food deserts because people keep ripping off stores.

When I was in college and we played against a few teams out of there, you made friends by taking them to the Mall. These fuckers act like it's Disneyland and they all have these shitty Cricket phones they take pics on and text it back to their family to show them CHECK THIS SHIT OUT.

So, when I see docs like this...I understand why it happens. They are an easily preyed upon group of people who don't have shit and never had shit. Most of them have to drive 45 mins to an hour to get to a real hospital. Most of these areas have medical centers which are virtually medical offices staffed with a few more people.

There are still groups of people suing the SSA because of what Conn did because when assholes like that get shut down, then SSA freezes the benefits of anyone that was using him to get said assets. So, you now have people who have been going without SSA for 3 years. Well, at least the ones that didn't blow their heads off because they couldn't afford pain management among other things.

I should check the doc out.
          I don't think I was ever more upset at a documentary than Harlan County USA. The fact that so many people's response over the years to helping EKY and WV is "learn to code! Get them solar jobs!" is so fucking ignorant of the situation and history. I am incredibly grateful that my grandpa, who was from EKY, went to the Pacific Theater and his buddy got him on at the paper mill in Houston. So he took the train to Houston instead of back home to Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post

I don't think I was ever more upset at a documentary than Harlan County USA. The fact that so many people's response over the years to helping EKY and WV is "learn to code! Get them solar jobs!" is so fucking ignorant of the situation and history. I am incredibly grateful that my grandpa, who was from EKY, went to the Pacific Theater and his buddy got him on at the paper mill in Houston. So he took the train to Houston instead of back home to Kentucky.
            That area is also what drove down our collective educational scores for decades. It's hard to compete when you have a third of the state that is basically a Third World Country.

Right now, we're #37 out of 50 with EKY still factored into the mix.

Our amazing Governor has been doing everything he can to help out EKY, but he gets fucked with at every turn. West Virginia has similar but unique issues of their own. They were thought to have improved a lot more due to DC, VA and PA cross traffic influencing the eastern part of West Virginia. But, that state is ripe with grifters, influence and corruption. Joe Manchin being the face of it.

In fact, much of what this doc seems to be about is shit that has been following Manchin and his daughter for the last 15 years.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Fuuuuuuck. Just watched “Our Father” on Netflix. What a mindfuck. The fact that it happened a little over an hour from here and I never heard of it. And that they’re at 94 people and counting….I needed a mental palate cleanser after, so I’m watching Great British Bake Off. Definitely recommend, but it’s a bit of tough watch.
              Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• yeah, that story is fucked up. Like really fucked up.

Comment

• For real.
                  Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Half way through that Keep Sweet documentary series on Netflix all about the FLDS and Warren Jeffs. I remember when that whole raid went down and it blew my mind that even still some of these people think Warren is the prophet. Some of these women's stories are heartbreaking and fucked up. The first couple they talk about is so weird. Like dude was like, hmmms, this polygamy thing sounds interesting and closer to the "true" words of Joseph Smith and didn't really know what was going on when he converted, and then the first prophet was like, "Here's your new wife, enjoy!". I had no idea that these people had no say over who they were marrying. Hope you like your 14 kids now.

Comment

• Who is Ghislaine Maxwell on Starz: Two episodes in, finale is this Sunday. Very compelling, watching how she went from this spoiled rich kid/Daddy's Girl, to a young Oxford socialite perv, to her eccentricities following her dad's death and her relocation to NYC, then to her becoming the Bonnie to Jeffrey Epstein's Clyde. The interviews with people that knew her shed a lot of light on how twisted and evil she became as the years went on. Definitely worth a viewing.

[B]Poly Styrene: I Am a Clich
                      Last edited by Timothy225; 07-08-2022, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Ate my post, so lemme try again:

Who is Ghislaine Maxwell on Starz: Two episodes in, finale is this Sunday. Very compelling, watching how she went from this spoiled rich kid/Daddy's Girl, to a young Oxford socialite perv, to her eccentricities following her dad's death and her relocation to NYC, then to her becoming the Bonnie to Jeffrey Epstein's Clyde. The interviews with people that knew her shed a lot of light on how twisted and evil she became as the years went on. Definitely worth a viewing.

Poly Styrene: I Am a Cliche: Another great documentary I watched this week, this time about the rise, fall, and stabilization of '70s UK punk's feminist role model and Riot Grrl prototype (you can easily say this about Siouxsie Sioux, too, but Poly's story seems the lighter in tone vs. Sioux's more Gothic, darker vibe). Narrated by Poly's daughter, Celeste, it gives a decent history of X-Ray Spex as well as the whole punk era, and shows how punishing the record industry was back then to performers with constant touring and the like. Hearing about how Poly's trip to New York City really fucked with her head and hastened her downward spiral is pretty heartbreaking. Must watch if you're a fan of classic punk or if you have a daughter/niece/etc. that you want to instill some feminine pride into. Definitely showing this to my teenage niece as she's getting into old school punk and trying to figure out who she is/wants to be.

Comment

• Nice, I want to check out that Poly Styrene doc out. Sounds super interesting.

Comment

• It really was. She went through so much emotional and mental stuff during her life and career I never really appreciated before, a lot of it her daughter was caught up in from a real early age.

Comment

• Been watching The Anarchists on HBO, and it's amazing watching fucked up people from every social strata get more fucked up by making horrible decisions, some of which eventually lead to murder!

Basically one rich guy gets it in his head that paying taxes = being a slave to government, so he hooks up with a couple that helps make his message expand to other folks who decide they hate taxes too, then they all head to Acapulco (renamed Anarchapulco, because they have to have a convention there, whether the folks who live there want it or not) and it gets better from there.

Potheads on the run, dueling anarchist groups, crypto-bros, communes, and an ex-Marine who writes in his journal like Rorschach/the Punisher would on a good day, delivering an ATM machine to the anarchists like a man on a mission... two episodes in, and this puppy's must watch TV for me, y'all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                                Been watching The Anarchists on HBO, and it's amazing watching fucked up people from every social strata get more fucked up by making horrible decisions, some of which eventually lead to murder!

Basically one rich guy gets it in his head that paying taxes = being a slave to government, so he hooks up with a couple that helps make his message expand to other folks who decide they hate taxes too, then they all head to Acapulco (renamed Anarchapulco, because they have to have a convention there, whether the folks who live there want it or not) and it gets better from there.

Potheads on the run, dueling anarchist groups, crypto-bros, communes, and an ex-Marine who writes in his journal like Rorschach/the Punisher would on a good day, delivering an ATM machine to the anarchists like a man on a mission... two episodes in, and this puppy's must watch TV for me, y'all.
                                We got through the first two episodes last night, and this shit is WILD. The whole ATM thing is hilarious. I love that they're all just a bunch of typical don't tread on me right wingers, then the actual anarchists show up and they're pissed off that they're acting like anarchists. The crypto rap video? Holy shit. I was waiting on Christopher Guest's name to be in the credits.

Comment

Working...
                                X