Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documentaries: The epic thread of interesting ones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe it's on Hulu.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Woodstock 99 Doc on HBO was pretty great. The organizers are the fucking worst.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• I gotta watch that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
          Woodstock 99 Doc on HBO was pretty great. The organizers are the fucking worst.
          I still say Limp Bizkit unfairly shouldered the burden of that riot. Maybe they didn't help the situation but other acts played just as much amped up shit and got no blame.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Of course YOU would say that!

Comment

• got no blame? WTF Jersh. They WERE blamed. Non stop. I remember this as I was a huge fan and even did a college film about it lol. After watching the doc I think something happened between the organizers and Limp and Fred said fuck it and did what he did.

Shit was fucked before that though. It just popped off with them. That riot would have happened no matter what. Watch the doc.

Comment

• I was supposed to have gone, but couldn't scrounge up the money for transporation and tickets. Everyone I knew that went says it was Hell on Earth and that Durst did start it. While Wes Borland tried to calm it down, but it was too late.

All of them also got kicked out during the Nine Inch Nails set, but so did 1400 other people.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Woodstock 99 Doc on HBO was pretty great. The organizers are the fucking worst.
                  Watched this. It seems like a whole lot of bands shit all over the organizers requests to chill out from Limp Bizkit through to the end. Honestly RHCP playing Fire as an encore is a real big fuck you that gets no press compared to Durst just being Durst. I got a million more feelings about the documentary just as it pertains to what the country was, where it was headed, what pop culture was and then the pretty fucking direct line from how prosperous the country was and kids looking for a reason to be mad to the WTC attacks and then shit starting to fall apart and being given something to be mad at (the people with dark skin from a scary country) and then the line from there to today.

Take Woodstock 99 out of it though and fucking Limp Bizkit sucks. I think that's the first time I sat through a LB song in over a decade and jesus christ what a cultural embarrassment. I didn't love Korn but that shit is a million times better.

Also Dave Mustaine looks like a psychotic Yukon Cornelius now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post

Watched this. It seems like a whole lot of bands shit all over the organizers requests to chill out from Limp Bizkit through to the end. Honestly RHCP playing Fire as an encore is a real big fuck you that gets no press compared to Durst just being Durst. I got a million more feelings about the documentary just as it pertains to what the country was, where it was headed, what pop culture was and then the pretty fucking direct line from how prosperous the country was and kids looking for a reason to be mad to the WTC attacks and then shit starting to fall apart and being given something to be mad at (the people with dark skin from a scary country) and then the line from there to today.
                    Watched Woodstock 99 last night, and you're not wrong. The organizers do deserve some of the heat, though, as they needed better security, first aid, and all around infrastructure planning. I also caught the list of bands and was wondering what the hell the organizers were thinking booking some of 'em. Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, etc. guaranteed you'd get the idiot white frat boys that made up the majority of the audience, and those fuckwits are almost always the ones that cause all the chaos at shows like this, and indeed, in huge events in general (two words = "Spring Break"). Also, all the rape stories that came out later - while there was plenty of nudity from both sexes at the show, the lack of self-control is always in abundance among the frat boy/nu-metal audience, so stories of sexual assault was no surprise, even back then.

It was on fucking point when the commenters in the doc nailed that the audience back then didn't get the whole Woodstock vibe or history as most weren't even concepts yet when the original Woodstock happened in '69 (I was two back then, thanks for asking). Funniest part was the '99 interviewer asking some frat bro "who played the Star Spangled Banner on his guitar during Woodstock '69?", right in front of a huge wall with the name "JIMI HENDRIX" in letters the size of Shai Hulud on it, and frat bro answers "Jerry?"

I also was reminded about stories I'd heard of folks literally being covered in shit and piss because of issues with the port-o-johns at the event. I'm left wondering how many of those folks came down with fun diseases like cholera and typhoid among others, 'cause you know some of 'em did.

Damn good documentary of a truly awful event. Definitely on board for the rest of the Music Box series, though some of 'em (Kenny G and WRLD) aren't piquing my interest much.

Comment

• Oh the organizers are totally at fault. Arrogant, out of touch, clueless. They weren't ready at all for this show. Once the one organizer blamed the women for being assaulted I was full on fuck these guys with a cactus.

Comment

• I loved how they tried to shift the blame to MTV for all the reporting they did, and how one of the organizers shouted down the guy who pointed out all the trash everywhere, then offered him $1,000 an hour to clean it up.

They knew by Saturday this was a disaster and the event was overcrowded (200K people? Fuck.). Those jerks were trying to save face and failed spectacularly,

Comment

• "MTV set the tone."

The people there aren't watching MTV!

Comment

• Nah, 99 was huge for MTV.

Comment

• it was right before the reality downfall.

Comment

Nah, 99 was huge for MTV.
                                Yes I know that. I mean they tried to blame MTV's coverage of Woodstock 99 for the actions of the people there. They weren't sitting around in tents watching MTV. They were at the festival that didn't even have running water and decent shitters. It wasn't modern Coachella with private lounges and TV's and wifi.

Comment

Working...
                                X